Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Close out, unlucky fall backwards
Topic Summary: And now a broken rib.
Created On: 10/06/2015 12:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/06/2015 12:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Knocked the wind out of me and I couldn't even tell for help. The next set waves broke over me and I didn't panic and got past them. Sometimes you take stock after the initial blow and decide it's not as bad. I couldn't get my breath and the pain almost made me puke. I managed to get it, go to ER where they checked me out with no results. They called back and said it was broken. Even breathing is painful. Changing positions in bed feels like a series of very sharp sledge hammers pounding me from the inside. I still feel like I could puke. Worst thing is the wave is glassy peeling perfect.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

10/06/2015 12:40 PM

jloryfsu1

Joined Forum: 08/12/2011

I cracked 2 ribs about 5 yrs ago after a bad skateboarding fall....it sucked....I feel for ya man!

10/06/2015 12:53 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

takes a good 4-6 weeks to heal , try a large ace wrap around your chest and see if that helps
 10/06/2015 12:55 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

That'll teach you to try catch a wave to win that Salt Life Big Wave contest!

J/K but don't laugh.

Sounds like a scary several minutes for you. I'm glad you were able to get yourself out of the water.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

10/06/2015 01:03 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Dude!

Get well.

Dora Hates You
 10/06/2015 01:17 PM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

The ace bandage thing does give you some relief, I've broken my ribs before too.

That sux JB, glad you're okay, could have been a lot worse.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 10/06/2015 01:26 PM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

I threw up a lip smack on a closeout section on Saturday and ended up with a complete avulsion of the semimebranosus tendon from the ischial tuberosity. That means I pulled a hamstring off the sitting bone. I have to see the Orthopedic surgeon tomorrow, but the MRI report isn't good. I might be looking at what Micko had done. Either way, I about as pissed off and ornery as they come for missing Sunday and Monday. Stay hydrated, warm up and stretch before you paddle out fellas.

When it happened, all my muscles in the hamstring were firing and spasming. I couldn't stand up to get out of the ocean.

Sunday was almost unbearable to watch perfection gracing our shores like it never does.

MICK FANNING: What they do with it is they slice the back of your arse open and peel it back. Then they drill into your arse bone and put, like, a grappling hook in there. It's so strong the doctor said he was lifting me off the table just with the hook. And then they sew the ligament onto the grappling hook. So for the first six, eight weeks, that's why you can't do anything - it's just the stitches holding it together. And you've just got to wait for the scar tissue to grow over the grappling hook.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Edited: 10/06/2015 at 01:33 PM by Karma
 10/06/2015 01:33 PM

SurferSince1965

Joined Forum: 05/29/2015

surfing is no joke I was told a guy dislocated his elbow in Sat Bch Sunday and managed to get himself out of the water that sounds painful too

JMA

10/06/2015 01:35 PM

Greensleeves

Someone asked about being injured while surfing and usually youa re so messed up you can't really call for help...

Super solo sport!

10/06/2015 01:44 PM

johnnyboy

I think I'm lucky I have only a broken rib. Seriously painful sounding.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

10/06/2015 01:49 PM

johnny

Joined Forum: 12/31/2004

sheesh, get well and good luck! best wishes

I snapped my lb in two on sunday, but I will look at the bright side - at least it was the board and not my body

good luck to you too Karma

eek :-/
 10/06/2015 02:17 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

Wow JohnnyBoy and Karma I feel for the both of you. No one deserves that, especially Karma.

I'm 55 and counting my blessings I can still surf 8 hours. I was thinking after Sunday how lucky I was to have no injury because I had 3 or more opportunities for disaster.

Heal up!

10/06/2015 03:49 PM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Your timing is much better.
My six weeks started 5 weeks ago.

And I know how it feels to be in pain regardless of the position in bed.
My last injury only felt good standing up, bed was hell.
I had to take the pills just to sleep.

Netflix
 10/06/2015 04:15 PM

Seth

Joined Forum: 09/14/2004

Damn Johnyboy and Karma, sorry to hear that. Karma, I'm sure you were frothing out Sunday. Heal up soon.
 10/06/2015 05:00 PM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

It was very difficult. I had resting stink eye face. Angry doesn't do it justice. I sat and watched RC's for about 2 hrs.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Edited: 10/06/2015 at 05:07 PM by Karma
 10/06/2015 05:46 PM

Bananas

Joined Forum: 04/29/2005

I dislocated my right elbow Monday afternoon at Cassia in SB.... Typing this left handed with the cast on my right. Thank you to those that helped me on the beach!!!! The hospital staff was great as was the news that I should only be out of the water 2-3 weeks.
 10/07/2015 04:38 AM

artman

Joined Forum: 03/10/2009

Sorry to hear about the injuries, I got bit on my middle finger tip by a Dusky Pygmy Rattler Sept. 2nd and missed all of these swells. Good luck on recovery guys!

Edited: 10/08/2015 at 11:25 AM by artman
 10/07/2015 06:32 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

I dislocated my right elbow

EFFFFFING OWWWWWW! Glad you're ok.

Mind if I ask how you did it? hitting the bottom or something?

I fell on my board, on my first wave in Nicaragua and thought I broke my effing arm; thankfully not, but it turned all kinds of colors for the rest of the trip. (then I fell off a GD horse).

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 10/07/2015 07:10 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

This thread is starting to sound like the boat scene in Jaws.

I'm still recovering from the reef hit with my head surfing near Popoyo. Mainly just the stiff neck from the whiplash now. Luckily it didn't keep me out of the water but it was a bitch turning my head back while paddling to line up waves. Hence my post-surf ritual of ibu and alcohol.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

10/07/2015 07:17 AM

stevea

Joined Forum: 11/20/2009

Yet another victim! Me,TOO! My boy wanted to go on this past Saturday, the day before the goodies, still kinda wobbly. So we went and well riding along high line saw the wave start bending out to sea, pumped and a carve, yes I made it to continue. Then out of no where a lip showed up and slapped me in my side and down to the trough of the wave I went slapped the water on my back. Knew I hard and tweek it, nothing out of the ordinary, til I went to walk up the board walk, That's when all the pain hit.

Yep, still putting heat pads on, started with ice but that hurt worse, yesterday the first day since I could bend over to put my socks and shorts on! I'm hard headed and haven't seen a doc yet. My lower back is as tight as hell, Suck getting old peeps stay healthy, takes twice as long to heal. 

Glad I was able to get the first NINE days of this run of surf!!!

FORUMS : Surfing : Close out, unlucky fall backwards

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .