Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Island Mini Pigs
Topic Summary: Thoughts?
Created On: 10/01/2015 07:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/01/2015 07:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

bradf31

Joined Forum: 01/03/2008

I really like the mini pigs shape for an all around florida board, just wanted to see who all has them and what they think? Pro/Cons? Looking either 6'2 or 6'4. 

10/01/2015 05:43 PM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

I've got one & both daughters do, too. Love 'em. Great FLA board.

Mine's 7'0" but my "short board" is 6'8". (Hey, I'm 56yo, 6'1", 210 lbs +/-, and that's just what happens after almost 45 years of trying to fight off permanent longboard status. I'm just lucky to be here.)

They're almost always epoxy, I think, which limits swing weight up front. I've always preferred the single to double concave bottom & it works great on this board. The tail's foiled enough to bury a rail when necessary & mine works fine even if the waves are bigger than I thought they'd be. Great "balance" even at length, by which I mean you can plant your back foot & not have to ever change position on the board (unless you're fooling around & want to).

Stu Sharpe's one of the great shapers we're blessed with here & it's a great "all rounder" which, if combined with a "racier" twin, would make an awesome 1-2 quiver, IMHO.

My girls are young & just starting to pick up the stoke with their Neilson Blunts & their 5'4" Mini-Pigs are their first transition toward shortboards. Easy to ride for them but also easy to ride well for the experienced.

I can't imagine anybody being disappointed with one, whether grabbing one off the rack at Roy's or ordering one directly from Stu.

Love mine. Got it in 5-fin config & love it thruster or quad.

Aloha.

10/08/2015 06:44 AM

bradf31

Joined Forum: 01/03/2008

Thanks for the info sharkey. Im going to make a trip down to Roy's here soon and pick his brain a little, as well. 

10/08/2015 12:16 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I have never ridden one but love those style boards, and know of a few guys who shred them

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 10/08/2015 01:34 PM

bluestreak

Joined Forum: 03/30/2009

This thread has come at the perfect time for me. I sold my 10+ year old short board, 6'1", I am 6'1" 180lbs, last year because i hardly ever used it and by the last year I could barely catch a wave on it. I'm old, 59 and don't surf as much as i used to. 

I use a 9'1" long board and it is hard to get out through bigger surf, because it's big and I am not the surfer i used to be.

My guess is these boards, of which you speak of here, are the latest generation if Fish like boards, easier to catch and ride our usual Florida surf conditions. I never tried a fish.

I need a short board with the characteristics of a long board that is easier to duck dive.

Please enlighten me.

10/08/2015 03:23 PM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

More akin to an egg than fish, I'd say. Also falling into the catch-all category of "fun board" or "hybrid", to me it's characteristics are kind of a like a short board with the dimensions increased.

10/08/2015 08:51 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

I have a 6'2. Fun for waste to chest with thruster set up. Sanded epoxy is durable.  I find myself using my FireWire Vanguard or Sharpe Fish with AMT twin fins instead. So mine might be on Craigslist soon. 

-------------------------
Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
FORUMS : Surfing : Island Mini Pigs

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .