Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Thanks for seeing me as just a surfer. ....
Topic Summary: Carissa Moore and Sal Masekela
Created On: 07/29/2015 02:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/29/2015 02:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

I started off watching a video on Carissa because I have always thought she was going to be a good surfer. Not solely based on she's a girl. My definition of a good surfer is structured around reading, riding, and enjoying waves. (Think Freemans phrase "positioning and selection")

So I then came across this video from Sal Masekela talking about his personal experience growing up surfing not being viewed as "just another surfer" trying to become a "good" surfer.

And thought to myself, I have become an "ok" surfer, and want to say THANKS to those who view me as "just another surfer" in the 321 hoping for the next swell!!

carissa moore surfs better than you. ..

If you want to talk smack about girl surfing...paddle out and surf next to Frieda Zamba. One day I watched some young bucks (not knowing who she is) jockey a couple waves (from this "woman" surfer) when she just got out In the line up.... She read the next set coming, paddled into position on the wave she wanted and their jaws dropped. It was hilarious!! I wish I would have had a video camera. Having established "shes not new to this" they gave her no trouble after that. Lol

HEADSPACE: Sal Masekela from The Inertia on Vimeo. "I long for a time when I don't have to be asked the question, 'What's it like to be a black surfer?' Because I've never thought of myself as a black surfer."

One day, after hopping on a surfboard at Tamarack State Beach, he fell in love. And from that day, he tossed aside preconceived notions about who belongs where, what boundaries and stereotypes might exist in action sports, and he pursued his new passion with reckless abandon. No matter that kids at his school told him black people couldn't swim.

-------------------------
Time and tide wait for no one.....

Edited: 08/03/2015 at 05:22 PM by KP
 07/29/2015 03:53 PM

LostSherpa

Joined Forum: 05/02/2012

The Dude Abides.

http://www.rollerphotography.com/

07/31/2015 08:30 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

My Long Time friend, co-worker Old roommate  Warren Brown Is  excellent all around glasser.  Warren is maybe the only Black guy to have his own glass shop.   He has told me stories of some of BS he has had to put up with. 

Great little clip, Stay Stoked  Sal Masekela ! 

08/01/2015 09:45 AM

KP

Originally posted by: artz

My Long Time friend, co-worker Old roommate  Warren Brown Is  excellent all around glasser.  Warren is maybe the only Black guy to have his own glass shop.   He has told me stories of some of BS he has had to put up wIth... 

Is he from the Maryland area?

08/09/2015 07:24 PM

KP

Artz
The fella I was thinking was named Charles. My friend used to surf with him and would go to Costa with him in the 80s.

08/10/2015 03:32 AM

Pocketman

Joined Forum: 06/13/2007

Hey KP, that would be Charley Gale. I met Charley on a cold, grey winter morning in Fenwick Island, Delaware. I would run into him from time-to-time, early 80's. He was one cool, laid back dude, that loved to surf.
 08/10/2015 11:46 AM

timoteo

Joined Forum: 08/16/2011

Originally posted by: Pocketman Hey KP, that would be Charley Gale. I met Charley on a cold, grey winter morning in Fenwick Island, Delaware. I would run into him from time-to-time, early 80's. He was one cool, laid back dude, that loved to surf.

08/10/2015 11:55 AM

timoteo

Joined Forum: 08/16/2011

I would like to add to that list Mark Holder , Hogey,Smokey and a host of Barbados rippers . And a tip of the straw hat to all of the talented brevard women like Meliame,Marcia Hardin(one of the best ever from SFL),Ingrid and of course Frieda

08/15/2015 06:25 PM

KP

Originally posted by: Pocketman

Hey KP, that would be Charley Gale. I met Charley on a cold, grey winter morning in Fenwick Island, Delaware. I would run into him from time-to-time, early 80's. He was one cool, laid back dude, that loved to surf.

Yes Charlie Gale! Yes, my friend said his son grew up to surf also.
Small world in the surfing community!

Oh and can't forget super stoked Jessie!

Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .