Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Maldives vs. Bali
Topic Summary: Anyone got any info???
Created On: 07/29/2015 09:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/29/2015 09:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rathunter

Joined Forum: 09/22/2011

Looking into a potential Indian Ocean trip coming up.  Hearing less than favorable things about Bali i.e. heavy crowds in lineups, heavy waves, lots of Aussie frat boys, etc.  Hearing that Maldives is stellar conditions and a bit easier for the FL surfer to adjust to compared to Mentawis.

07/29/2015 09:42 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

surfed with a guy in Salvy recently that was from Bali... he said the East side around Komune was a good spot for surf and travel with my family, but we opted for upcoming Mentawais trip anyway

he also mentioned he gets a ton of uncrowded waves surfing early and late sessions (first in, last out)

-------------------------
"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 07/29/2015 10:44 AM

VBslayer

Joined Forum: 09/20/2006

I've been to all three and had the best time in Bali. It is crazy crowded but there are waves everywhere and you ride from spot to spot on a motor scooter. Surprisingly I also got more waves per day in Bali compared to the Ments and the Maldives. Bali has plenty of spread out peaks, nooks, corners, etc. Plus you get the cultural experience that a boat trip or the Maldives doesn't really offer. Plus the food is awesome and cheap and so are the hotels. I've been on three boat trips (ments twice, Maldives once). Both of these places are crowded now, especially for usually having to split one peak. You will catch ten times more waves at keramas and uluwatu than you will at chickens or macaronis. At least that was my experience.
 07/29/2015 11:13 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

For what it's worth, Google Flights is reporting fares to Bali (DPS, Denpasar City) for as little as $1,101 using China Southern and Delta.  Emirates, $1,300.  

Malé, $1,992 and up.

07/29/2015 11:23 AM

rathunter

Joined Forum: 09/22/2011

How gnar is Uluwatu?  Any war stories...?

07/29/2015 11:53 AM

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

A while back ~ 10yrs ?

Surfed all over Bali, including Uluwatu.

Longboarded everywhere with a 10 footer. It was all good ... Uluwatu (exciting),
Padang-Padang, Kuta Reef ... and the longer 4 hour drive to Medewi where there were
uncrowded long chest high lefts.

No war stories.
Well, missed coming in back through the cave at Uluwatu one time, but just
paddled back out and around. Made it the second time. Other times, no problem.

No real problems and the people were great.

-------------------------
Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 07/29/2015 01:00 PM

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

Don't bother going to the Maldives. The waves tend to have nice shape, but are very frequently small. Much shorter swell season too.

I lived on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean for 7 years. Everyone that I knew that went to the Maldives said the waves were worse and it wasn't worth it (beautiful water though). Everyone that went to Indonesia was very happy with their trip. No one complained about too crazy of crowds, and the waves were awesome.

07/29/2015 03:44 PM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Bali with a side trip to G land
 07/29/2015 04:11 PM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

First did Bali from Hawaii years ago and have had very good/great/epic waves every session. Lived in Sri Lanka for a few years and did Maldives from there.

I'd question myself leaving waves in Sri Lanka for the Maldives but I'd never go there from here.

07/30/2015 08:34 AM

TipTyme

Joined Forum: 12/20/2013

Headed to Bali in a couple weeks, after NZ. I'm going solo. It's doubtful, but if anyone is headed that way, I'd love to meet up with some FL locals while there. Canggu is where I'm planning on being based out of. I chose Bali simply b/c of the solo thing and the lack of $ for boat trips to camp out on the banner spots 

07/30/2015 12:03 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

So you guys set up camp in the Kuta beach area?  seems like a good central location, and easy to find cheap hotels, unless there are comparable deals south (by the best surf) (Jimbaran?

thnks

07/31/2015 12:17 PM

VBslayer

I wouldn't stay more than 2-3 days in any one town. Start in Kuta and work your way around. Bring a bookbag with clothes and a boardbag that fits two boards snug. Bring a shortboard and a step-up. That's all you need. Take a shuttle to Kuta and rent a scooter with board racks in Kuta (rental places on every corner). Two boards in one bag will fit in one rack. This mobile set-up gives you the ability to zip around town and really enjoy Bali. Go to all the surf spots/towns as well as Ubud. Everything is close.

I have been all over the world and probably enjoyed bali more than anywhere else with the set-up I am describing. Balinese people are awesome and there really isn't any bad areas that I came across. Traffic is crazy and intimidating at first with the motor scooter, but you catch-on fast. You will not be the only tourist kooking it up and getting in peoples way on a motor scooter. The crowds in each town add to the whole vibe and culture. It feels fast paced cause there are so many people, but no one is really in a rush to do anything.

Also, when you buy gifts and trinkets, take what they are asking and refuse to pay no more than 20% of their initial asking price. It is absolutely crazy how cheap you can get sick paintings and Balinese art. They paint on cloth that you can roll up in your board bag and frame once you get home.
 07/31/2015 04:15 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Thanks man..... that's kinda what I had in mind.  I just mentioned Kuta, in terms of traveling on a budget.  Yeah I'd love to do the boat trip thing, but a 5G surf trip realistically isnt in the cards for me.

I've also heard that, so I wasnt worried about "crowds" and as far as traffic chaos, I'm originally from NY 

That's usually how I travel, but I was thinkin 3 boards due to the nature of surf (and variety), but I guess if I bust one, there's prob some used aussie sticks around.

So jonezed to surf and have a little $ I'd likie to book right now, but I just hurt my knee (I think I TKO'ed the remaining bit of meniscus), so it's on the radar for next spring / summer (hopefully after the north shore this winter)

So you can just rent a scooter at a car rental place?  no need to plan in advance?  (The only trip I've ever planned in advance was Peru, cause I was rollin solo)

Was thinking jeffrey's but Kinda pumped on this idea now

07/31/2015 08:40 PM

VBslayer

There are surfboards for sale in every direction. Old ones, new ones, surf shops, ding repair, etc. New boards are pretty expensive (more than here) but ding repair is hilariously cheap. These two Balinese guys fixed a gash in the bottom of my board for two bucks. They sucked the water out of the ding with a plunger and then fast cured the resin with a blue heat gun. It was a flawless repair in less than twenty minutes.

The scooters are rented at hole in the wall scooter rental places. Just need your drivers license and a credit/debit card.

Meals are around $4
Hotels/ hostels (private room and bath) without AC are about $8. $17 with AC
30 Minute massages (not the dirty kind) are $5.
(These prices were as of 4 years ago. It may have changed)

Again, if you don't mind the noise and craziness, Bali is heaven. I actually like the chaos there. It added to the experience.

You don't need to book anything. If you get to Kuta mid-day, you'll find everything you need quickly. Everything is stacked on top of itself.

FORUMS : Surfing : Maldives vs. Bali

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .