Hang 10... or as they now say...hit the lip!

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Kelly Slater's new brand Outerknown
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/15/2015 08:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/18/2015 04:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DaveFL76

I feel like I'm *almost* his target market. Mid-upper 30's, disposable income, lives near the beach and surfs (albeit less than I'd like), likes the concept of sustainability, wears clothes. And I'd be willing to pay a premium for the tree-hugging sustainability aspect. And I even like the style of them. But at $400 for a pullover and $90 for a t-shirt, this isn't a ' be environmentally responsible' brand, this is a fashion brand. And it reminds me of when lots of Hollywood elite were driving the Toyota Prius when it first came out, to brag about just how green they were. I think it's for those consumers. (except for they're driving Teslas now). More power to him if it works. He's not dumb.

But, if there were a brand with the same sustainable business attitude at a reasonable pricepoint, I think I (and a lot of folks) would be interested. But this isn't it.

Edited: 07/19/2015 at 06:05 AM by DaveFL76

07/18/2015 07:43 PM

Rippinryan247

If the claim is that the production cost is too high to lower the price then I would like to see the actual numbers to see what areas you could cut out to make it cheaper and have more of an impact on the environment.

I did some quick research and this is what I found

From Outerknown website:
"And in doing so, we have partnered with the Fair Labor Association, ensuring that we abide by their code of conduct which is the best standard for protecting and promoting working conditions within a supply chain. Additionally, we have partnered with Bluesign, which eliminates harmful substances from the beginning of the manufacturing process where the biggest environmental impact is made."

I went ahead and looked up these two associations and found:
Fair Labor Association has partnered with companies like: Apple, Nike, Adidas, Fruit of the loom, etc. (All companies with price points way below OK).
Bluesign has partnered with companies like: Adidas, Nike, Burton, Patagonia, Brooks, etc. (again all companies with price points way below OK).

So what makes Outerknown clothes cost so much more? The materials? They apparently use ECONYL and organic cotton. Does that justify 4-5X the price of normal wear? Again I went to ECONYL website to see who they have partnered with and found out they have partnered with KORU, a women's swimwear/apparel company that April Slater is a designer for. They claim to be eco-friendly and use responsible textile manufacturing just like Outerknown; however, their pants only cost $100 (reasonable) and swimsuits are around $40 per piece(again pretty reasonable).

From this quick research I think it's safe to say Kelly has purposely chose the higher end market for whatever reason but it wasn't because he had to. I hope he realizes quickly and makes the appropriate business decision to fix the price to a more reasonable amount. He needs to realize that his fan base is the biggest asset he has and by eliminating 99% of them from your business is just foolish.

-------------------------

Go Gators
 07/18/2015 08:12 PM

Julianuribe23

Originally posted by: Sector9surf
Originally posted by: dingpatch Beanie, T-Shirt. WTF! Yes. But, what is so different between that and paying the same "high" price for a CI board?

At least you can surf a CI. What can you do with a beanie and a t-shirt?

Seven Outerknown tee shirts cost just as much or more than an off the rack CI...

07/19/2015 09:02 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

I'm pretty sure this price-point wasn't set by tossing a dart at a spreadsheet.

This investment group houses some of the World's largest brands, I'm sure they did plenty of leg work before arriving at a decision. They wouldn't even bother if they didn't think it would be profitable.

Trump/Putin 2016!
 07/19/2015 10:04 PM

doppler

Originally posted by: Cole

I'm pretty sure this price-point wasn't set by tossing a dart at a spreadsheet.

This investment group houses some of the World's largest brands, I'm sure they did plenty of leg work before arriving at a decision. They wouldn't even bother if they didn't think it would be profitable.

Well said.

Why why fuss? If you can't afford it, buy something else.
 05/05/2017 04:00 PM

orlandork

Did anyone ever buy some of this clothing?? How's it holding up for those prices?
 05/05/2017 05:39 PM

daner

Not sure how well it's doing but Outerknown is sponsoring an upcoming WSL event.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

05/05/2017 07:11 PM

JBSURF

I`ve been wanting to have a go and waited for a sale and one is going on now with up to 70%off, so I pulled the trigger, got a $26 tee thats super soft and fits killer and is a cool color....

I honestly couldn`t or wouldn`t at full price, but did at discount and am very impressed,very.

I've decided to accept the fact - I'll always be a big kid!

Edited: 05/05/2017 at 07:30 PM by JBSURF
 05/06/2017 06:15 AM

Captain Obvious

I've gotten 2 of the T-Shirts from my wife as gifts.

Definitely a difference in quality and I really dig them both. Heavier material, so I don't put them on a hanger to avoid stretching them out, just fold them. I'm conscious of the cost so I don't just wear them every day. Wife is impressed and that isn't easy to do on stuff like this (she's the type to "shop" for bed sheets).

Always been a fan and a loyal guy, so I choose to support causes and people in ventures like this. I would have bought to try these out just because I appreciate the vision. That aside, I would be happy with them standing alone without the Kelly back story.

A horse walks in to a bar. Bartender says "Why the long face?"
 05/16/2017 12:32 PM

MyCatSprays

I grew up with and love KS11, but this line is lame, way overpriced, and more Kardashian than Cocoa Beach. I doubt Dick Catri woulda bought a $90 beannie and Im sure no real surfer in this town will either!! Kelly obviously didnt learn much from Yerkes, Kech, nor McNight if this is what he vame up with!! But, its conglomerate "Kuriegs" company; not Kelly's. He just pocket 20 mil plus for his name!!! On a surf scale of 1-10, it gets a Col. 2.3!! Buy more ...lost!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 05/16/2017 03:34 PM

sandi

there is a great market for a brand with this price point. it just isn't you average surfer. if it's too high price for you, buy you're average surf brand. every product has a target market. surfers ain't the target market for a line of clothes like this. hopefully he'll do all with it. it's has clean lines...
 05/17/2017 04:59 AM

ILM

Doesn't look anymore expensive than any other sustainable clothing company's merchandise.  I have no problem dropping some cash on a qualty made product.   

05/17/2017 05:05 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Like a $75 pair of baggies from Rip Curl, Billabong or the others is a good deal?

Trump/Putin 2016!
 05/18/2017 05:24 AM

artz

Outerknown will do well at the New Wave pool Country Club opening on Long Island NY. A Platinum membership is $50,000 with a yearly dues of $20,000. $50. tee shirts, $100. shorts no big deal. 

05/19/2017 01:50 PM

daner

Next Up on the WSL Tour: The Outerknown Fiji Pro

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

05/23/2017 02:26 PM

occy

I got a pair of the Nomadic trunks for $55 shipped. Can't hate on that. For the record, I am a cheap ass and only buy 1 pair a year. I like them.

Ask me how to take almost free surf trips anywhere.

2nd Light Forums » Surfing » Kelly Slater's new brand Outerknown

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
133361 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 9 users logged in.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Hello to Matt B