Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Move to Merritt Island?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/05/2015 05:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/05/2015 05:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

passon13

Joined Forum: 03/03/2013

So they wife and I are looking for houses and came across one that we like in Merritt Island... do you like living there? Good area? Things to do at night or atleast within 30 min drive? tips on the area? suggest other area? It's off of newfound harbor. Thanks Everyone!

07/05/2015 05:51 AM

TodoBien07

Joined Forum: 08/07/2012

NSR

Newfound Harbor is hit or miss.  Some really nice areas but plenty of nefarious characters as well.  Angel Ave thru Orris Ave area, high index of suspicion.

07/05/2015 06:29 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Where are you moving from?

If you are relocating from Clewiston or Norther Texas, it's a no-brainer.

MI is centrally located: the beach is near by, the main artery out of town is easy to access, there are plenty of shops, restaurants and grocery stores and housing prices are a lot less than beach side.

-------------------------
I was right.
 07/05/2015 06:33 AM

passon13

I'm comin from casselberry/winter park area in Orlando. I just wanna make sure its a decent place to raise a family. Buying a house is a big commitment. I really appreciate everyone's help. The house is between milli ave and orris

07/05/2015 08:28 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

I'd say it depends on where you need to go most often from there (i.e., work/school) and what amenities are most important to you.

If you're going to work at the space center, MI is hard to beat. If you're commuting to/from UCF, it's pretty convenient. Access to I-95 in central Brevard can get you a lot of places quickly, as long as you're not stuck forever in MI traffic getting there.

If you want quality surf or non-touristy beaches, you will be driving close to 30 minutes.

The wife and I looked at Newfound Harbour 16 years ago, but opted to stay in Satellite Beach. Since I work in Melbourne, value the ocean access, and no longer own a boat, Satty was the right call for us. I prefer the peace and quiet of A1A over the lights and noise of 520, and have found adequate restaurants nearby to satisfy the food cravings. But 520 is nothing compared to your part of 436, and there are plenty of nice areas in MI (including NH) that can be good places to raise a family.

But don't let yourself get sucked into making a rush offer on one specific house, unless you're really comfy with it.

Best of luck to ya.
 07/05/2015 09:16 AM

shapewright

Joined Forum: 07/18/2010

Before moving back to California I was living in Bel Aire off S. Courtney, easy accesss to 520 and Cocoa, quick trip to Cocoa Beach

07/05/2015 10:14 AM

peterg

Joined Forum: 10/12/2006

moved to MI from satellite about 1.5 years ago. if you are going to buy, now is the time as prices are escalating, and have been for the past year or so. off NFH, u would be about 10 - 12 minutes to A1A. what i like about MI is the convenience of everything. i do more than just surf, so it's nice to be 2 minutes from my gym, home depot, publix, restaurants, etc....

in fact, the NFH/banana river drive is where i was looking to buy originally, but the best place for me was a bit west of there. prices are low compared to cocoa beach. if you're looking to go beachside, no matter what, south patrick shores would probably be least expensive area.
 07/05/2015 11:26 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

My .02, Merritt Island is old, tired, and just plain ugly. Drive down courtenay some hot afternoon. With a few exceptions such as south tropical trail, it is a shithole. Lived there a long time ago, best thing I ever did was move. Much nicer, newer options all around. Take it from some one who has lived there. No offense to any one who is stuck there but you couldnt pay me to move back...
 07/05/2015 02:58 PM

passon13

We looked at the house today, pretty cool little place. Still keeping our eyes peeled for anything we see. They are building a new development in cocoa near 95 but idk if I'm 100% sold on that area. You guys have been a lot of help, I really appreciate all the input!

07/05/2015 03:19 PM

SonSurf

Joined Forum: 10/13/2010

Merritt Island is GREAT ! I moved here from Otown 14 yrs ago . Like some have said everything is here .Is it super moddern No but we don't have heli's flying around looking for suspects either . VERY little crime 45 min's from both inlets' Linda is 30 min's away tons of Island pride ! Min's from kookoo bch .NICE AND QUITE EAST LIVING !! Good luck inland friends .  whoops 45 min's back to the crazy city if you feel so inclined LOL.

07/05/2015 05:16 PM

onebuck

Joined Forum: 01/27/2008

Originally posted by: LIV2SURFDT My .02, Merritt Island is old, tired, and just plain ugly. Drive down courtenay some hot afternoon. With a few exceptions such as south tropical trail, it is a shithole. Lived there a long time ago, best thing I ever did was move. Much nicer, newer options all around. Take it from some one who has lived there. No offense to any one who is stuck there but you couldnt pay me to move back...

fuck off buddy...what was a long time ago???..im curious...heck if ya happy,then all is good my friend...lol

07/05/2015 06:41 PM

sattymcdabby

Joined Forum: 05/28/2015

Originally posted by: SonSurf  45 min's from both inlets' 

07/05/2015 06:49 PM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Ahh, some one got there feelings hurt? What difference does it make how long ago? And Im not your buddy, but I would say 90% of the buddies I grew up with and learned to surf with and went to school with on good ole MI have moved away.The other ten percent dont surf any more. Does that offend you? So let me re-phrase this for the emotionally fragile. Compared to Kissimee, Merritt Island is paradise! LOL
 07/05/2015 07:43 PM

johnny

Joined Forum: 12/31/2004

Well merritt island is better than many places yea, plenty of people think I'm crazy for living in cocoa beach I'm sure

I'm curious where you say has newer and nicer at mi price point without going far west, which would be deal breaker for me IMO

Somewhere right off Pineda us1 I suppose? Something in there more affordable before you hit suntree?

I wouldn't say the affordable satbch and ihb areas put mi to shame.

Edited: 07/05/2015 at 07:51 PM by johnny
 07/06/2015 04:30 AM

Arioch

Joined Forum: 09/14/2003

MI is good place to live. A lot of nice houses off on New Found Harbor

07/06/2015 04:51 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

We used to say; "You're a MID!" (Merritt Island Dick)

Oh, and, but, , , , Real Estate = LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION (not for you, but your future buyer)

Dora Hates You
 07/06/2015 05:59 AM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Have you looked south of 520 on South Courtenay south of Cone Rd? There are a variety of houses at the median price range. Plus, if your a family with young children the Elementry School is an A+ rated school. keep in mind that Merritt Island generally tends to be more conservative than Beachside. Also, there is a Redevelopment Board that has members that want to Incorporate M.I. Which is currently Brevard County. Property Taxes will increase if they do incorporate.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

07/06/2015 06:20 PM

passon13

no i haven't checked that area yet. I will tonight! you guys have no idea how much help you are!

07/06/2015 06:58 PM

beachsidedad

Joined Forum: 01/25/2013

I would encourage anyone in the surfing community to move all the way to beachside, if at all possible. You didn't really state your reasons for looking at M.I.  Commuting back & forth to O-ville?  If so, that makes sence.  If you are  working in Brevard, I think beachside is the best choice.  Ask anyone who lives in Sat. Bch. I.H.B. Indiatlantic, Mel. Bch.  Good schools, good neighborhoods, the Ocean, the River. What else do you want?

Older houses, but you can take your time and fix them up exactly how you like them.  Do the right thing and move beachside.

07/07/2015 08:05 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Of course you don't usually have to evacuate MI during a hurricane...
FORUMS : Surfing : Move to Merritt Island?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .