Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anyone have a Tomo VADER or VANGUARD? I want a review.
Topic Summary: Update: I own them both now. They work great!
Created On: 04/25/2015 08:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/25/2015 08:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

Some interesting reviews.  But I want to hear about it from a local FL surfer.  Not Firewire.

Here are 2 good videos of them.

https://vimeo.com/107079728

https://vimeo.com/94523821

Heres the talk on the Firewire Forum.  Lots of confusion on what size to get.

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/forum/board-and-tech-talk/vanguard-tomo-new

I have seen guys using them locally. What the real deal?  And finally ..Can I try one!

-------------------------
Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.

Edited: 05/08/2015 at 08:38 PM by Av8Surf
 04/26/2015 02:44 AM

surfthrulife

Joined Forum: 12/25/2003

You got a pm
 04/26/2015 03:35 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

I have a vanguard in 5-10 FST. Was just riding it yesterday and rode it in Gonzales and also this past swell we had last week. I really like it and really enjoy riding it. It's really my big wave short board. Very very fast. Rides on a cushion of air. Friends that have seen me going down the line swear they see it lift out of the water. (Modern planing hull sort of hydrofoils at high speeds). You def feel a cushion of air under you. Mine is currently set up as a thruster. Board is very maneuverable. Wants you riding it from the tail. Duck dives like a dream. It's a very different ride and super super fun. Really my favorite short board but it is no groveler. Needs a decent amount of energy to open up its potential. Course, that could possibly change in quad.

5-10 is actually a cheater board for me in FST since its like 37 liters of volume at that size. I was just afraid of trying to paddle a 5-4 around in the line up in a big swell with that level of narrowness (19"). But it's got excellent float in the right places and everything works. Sharp V tail makes it super easy to do moves 'outside your weight class.'

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
 04/26/2015 06:32 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Nice vid ( first one)

I think when you can surf as good as that guy, you could ride a finless 2X4 and still rip.

( thanks)

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 04/26/2015 03:51 PM

Av8Surf

It seems to be a fun shape with the nose chopped off.  I want one more now.  How does it paddle?

04/26/2015 09:22 PM

2ndlighthatesme

Joined Forum: 04/24/2015

Try to find one to demo because reviews will differ dramatically depending on the surfer... I'll do my best to contribute by giving you my opinion just by looking at the outline and standard measurements posted online tho - Are you an aggressive surfer? If you are there is a good chance you'll have alot of fun on this board assuming the conditions and measurements are right. But if conditions are mushy or anything less than shoulder high (pretty much all of the time)I wouldn't even consider taking this board out.

If your quiver is pretty solid already and you just want to add something out of the ordinary/switch it up go for it!

04/27/2015 07:50 AM

spindlebeak

Joined Forum: 10/30/2008

Used to have a Vanguard.  Fun board but very different from a HPSB.  Have to surf it really backfooted.  Really fast board.  The chopped nose brings the board around reallly easily on vertical turns.  Also, the scoop in the nose almost makes the board fight pearling.  Buried the nose a bunch of times on turns/reentries in steep sections thinking Id fall and the nose pops back out.  Always had a lot of fun and felt like those attributes helped me progress my surfing, or at least my confidence.  All that said, I always found myself wanting to get back on my shorty, which is why I sold it.  Super fun and very different, just wasnt for me long term.  I'd like to try that Evo out some day tho....
 04/27/2015 03:25 PM

theslasher

Joined Forum: 06/16/2008

you tube shred show!! nice review!

04/27/2015 04:41 PM

SpinK

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

slater at lennox from hakenvisual on Vimeo.

04/27/2015 06:57 PM

Av8Surf

Originally posted by: theslasher you tube shred show!! nice review!

I saw this but I dont trust youtube reviews.  Alot of babble about speed and drive and concave this and that.  BS!  

If Firewire gave me a FREE Vader .... I would make a video and say its amazing.  Thats all this guy does to get FREE boards!

04/27/2015 10:43 PM

theslasher

Joined Forum: 06/16/2008

how else would you get to try them! if they were not free!  he does ramble but does know his shit! I could see that board when it's real good! there was a used one at core surf not sure the dim's though!

04/28/2015 04:12 AM

FinGuru

Joined Forum: 05/26/2011

The Tomo's work! They are some of the best boards I've ridden in the high performance category....I rented a 5'5" Vangaurd in Indonesia and it was the sickest shortboard Ive ever ridden. It made me surf better than I normally surf! 

05/07/2015 06:17 PM

Av8Surf

I rode the Vanguard today and it is my new favorite shortboard.  It is no BS awesome.  Heres why.... it paddles like a funshape. Rides like a fish. Drops in like a short. LOTS of rocker. 

There is a reason Kelly invested in FireWire. 

DT is on to something and his research is leading edge.  I will be buying his new EVO. 

Edited: 05/08/2015 at 08:37 PM by Av8Surf
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .