Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Got fish hooked at the CB Pier for the first time
Topic Summary: We need to talk to Westgate
Created On: 03/01/2015 03:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/01/2015 03:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

Fishing lines were way out to the south of the pier today.  Lucky it hooked my ankle outside of my leash.  As I understand the Cocoa rules (From past fights), Fisherman should only fish under the pier.  Am I correct?  Is this posted?

The new owners are making big changes to the appearance of the Pier and signs should be addressed regarding the safety of the surfers.  Plus all the fish are under the pier anyway.

Also should I carry a pocket knive? Or small scissors?

-------------------------
Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 03/01/2015 03:37 PM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Westgate has signage up on the pier... for fisherman and surfers to get along.

Absolutely no shark fishing is permitted
Fishermen who repeatedly cast out into the surfing lineup, or towards swimmers, could be charged with assault ... I've seen this happen before.

But some clueless fisherman let their lines drift into the surfing lineup or around swimmers esp when there's lotsa drift.
They should retrieve their lines and cast to an unpopulated area.

There is no rule restricting fishermen to fish only under the pier.

... positioning and selection
 03/01/2015 05:46 PM

RUSSD

Joined Forum: 06/30/2014

I got clotheslined by a fishing line during a contest there on time. I was in my heat, surfing a left, towards the pier on the north side, and I saw it at the last second, got an arm under it, and ducked/threw it over my head and still finished the wave with a turn. The fisherman was told to leave that spot and not cast out there again. That is not what I was telling him though LOL. I don't get it, how dumb do you have to be to not understand that casting out where people are at, surfers or swimmers, is dangerous. Or is it that there are just some people that genuinely don't give a damn about anyone else or their safety?

RUSS-D'S PHOTOGRAPHY
 03/02/2015 07:57 AM

Av8Surf

Originally posted by: RUSSD I got clotheslined by a fishing line during a contest there on time. I was in my heat, surfing a left, towards the pier on the north side, and I saw it at the last second, got an arm under it, and ducked/threw it over my head and still finished the wave with a turn. The fisherman was told to leave that spot and not cast out there again. That is not what I was telling him though LOL. I don't get it, how dumb do you have to be to not understand that casting out where people are at, surfers or swimmers, is dangerous. Or is it that there are just some people that genuinely don't give a damn about anyone else or their safety?

Great story.  I worry about the weights hitting me.  

03/02/2015 08:45 AM

HawkHoganII

Joined Forum: 08/08/2014

Don't complain to Westgate. Their solution will probably include a no surf zone.

03/02/2015 08:49 AM

freesurfs

wrong,
Westgate supports surfing at their Pier

03/02/2015 09:27 AM

Wedgefield

Joined Forum: 12/18/2003

Back in the 80's there used to be a guy out in lineup with diving knife, seen him cut a few lines. The pier expansion pics I saw awhile back had that thing going way out there with a couple kinks for "wave refraction". Hopefully the lengthened pier will end the fish hook possibilities.
 03/02/2015 10:08 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Westgate owns the pier? suprised they haven't tried to sell time scare I mean share to surf the pier. 

03/02/2015 05:08 PM

eibla

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Back Inna day (pre State Park) the Inlet was horrendous! Witnessed 1oz lead sinkers cast at guys on first peak. Never saw one but I did here of fisticuffs going on.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness -
John Kenneth Galbraith
 03/02/2015 08:01 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Many piers have a 100 foot limit for swimmers and surfers.

I wouldn't press the issue.

I was right.
 03/03/2015 07:03 AM

Postal-Alien

Joined Forum: 09/27/2006

Best solution.....Don't surf at the pier...just saying....lol

Riding waves is THERAPHY!!
 03/03/2015 08:00 AM

CrazyTom

Cole is right about the no-surf zones. Surfing has become big business now and almost everyone wants to try it. That makes for crowded line-ups, but gives us a bigger voice.

Peace, Love and SOUL!
 03/03/2015 08:36 AM

Postal-Alien

Joined Forum: 09/27/2006

Best solution.....Don't surf at the pier...just saying....lol

Riding waves is THERAPHY!!
 03/03/2015 10:35 AM

freesurfs

I learned to surf back in '64 on one of the Outer Banks Islands... Bogue Banks.
Home of Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, Salter Path, Bogue Inlet, etc.

There were at least 5 fishing piers there back then, and pier fishing was very good. So the piers were usually very busy and lotsa fishermen catching their share.

We started surfing next to the Piers and were immediately bombarded with hooks, sinkers, coke bottles,etc. Got so bad that surfers were banned from entering the pier parking lots.

Were we in the fishermen's way? Yes
And they made us pay for it.
Can say as I blamed them.

Lil different with CB Pier.
Anyone fishing that pier know that surfers and swimmers have been there from the beginning and will continue to be there.
So when fishermen cast at surfers, or allow their lines to drift into them ... it's their fault. They are trying to bully surfers and swimmers away from where they want to fish.

03/03/2015 12:18 PM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

I lived on Emerald Isle for about 6 months before going on terminal leave from the military. I really liked the place aside from the drive in every morning to Camp Lejeune, heh.

03/03/2015 02:15 PM

Av8Surf

So carry something to cut the line when it hooks you. Got it.

03/04/2015 06:47 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I never quite understand why people cast out into the sand desert when the fish are close to or under the pier.

I was right.
 03/04/2015 07:13 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Originally posted by: Cole I never quite understand why people cast out into the sand desert when the fish are close to or under the pier.

Because that isn't the case and the statement is wrong. Of course the water at our pier is seldom clean enough to be able to see that, so you get a pass.

Sure some species of fish prefer to feed in and around the pilings like Sheepshead, Snapper, etc. Snook will also ambush prey from around the pilings but they also travel well away from structure when there is bait present. Goliaths like the structure as well.

Whiting and Pompano will seldom be under the structure. The whiting get devoured by snook when they are around and generally avoid the structure. The pompano will sometimes forage through the pilings, but the don't hang out under the piers and will be typically found moving in and out of the troughs searching for sand fleas, crabs, and small shrimp.

Blues, Kings, Mackeral, Bonito, etc. will pretty much never be found under  piers. Sure you will hook into them near the pier once in a while, but only because they have pushed all the bait under it and are strafing the outer edges. Typically they will be well away from piers working the edges of bait pods.

Unlike bridge pilings, where Tarpon can and do hang out to ambush prey, for some reason they almost never hang out under piers. They will roll through pilings chasing bait but are generally constantly on the move after the bait pods. Not sure why there is this difference between pier pilings and bridge pilings, but after literally hundereds of tarpon I have caught in my life, I have found this to be true.

03/04/2015 08:28 AM

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

Originally posted by: Av8Surf

So carry something to cut the line when it hooks you. Got it.

You might be surprised how well the back of your fins works...it may be a bit awkward to flip the board and get the line in position, but a few good rubs on the back of your fin should be enough to cut through most any monofilament.
 03/04/2015 10:52 AM

Av8Surf

Originally posted by: sw
Originally posted by: Av8Surf So carry something to cut the line when it hooks you. Got it.

You might be surprised how well the back of your fins works...it may be a bit awkward to flip the board and get the line in position, but a few good rubs on the back of your fin should be enough to cut through most any monofilament.

Excellent suggestion! I might file the base to make it sharper.  Thanks. 

Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .