Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Hip Replacement
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/30/2014 06:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/30/2014 06:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Thumps

Joined Forum: 04/27/2013

Any seasoned surfers out there gone thru hip replacment yet?

How did it turn out and did it allow for more comfortable surfing?

Thanks.

12/30/2014 07:01 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Of all the joint replacement surgeries, it is the easiest and has quickest recovery by FAR.

I know a young guy (under 40) that recently had to have one...... he's back in the water and on a shortboard again.  Good Luck

12/30/2014 07:05 AM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Also... howz bout total knee replacement?
Any experiences?
thanks

-------------------------
... positioning and selection
 12/30/2014 07:13 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

My dad has had 1 (at 65) and will need the other done...... (unfortunately I probably will eventually..... damn family genes, plus I've already busted up both pretty good). 

He never surfed but used to be a big skier, and worked on his feet for 40 years (and probably tore em up a bit playing HS football)

It's a tough rehab, but he was playing golf 6 months later (maybe less, it was in 2009, I cant remember)

Put that one off as long as you can.... supposedly they're only good for around 20 years or so.

12/30/2014 07:39 AM

OCEAN_AVE

Joined Forum: 11/11/2005

I had a hip resurfacing 6 years ago...It was the best decision I ever made!
 12/30/2014 07:55 AM

OCEAN_AVE

12/30/2014 08:48 AM

dingpatch

A "drinking buddy" who does not surf, but does dance in ball room competitions, etc., had a double hip replacement a couple of months ago. He was "at his desk" at work in 2 weeks, and working out at dance in 4 weeks. He is another one who, after the surgery and recovery, wishes he had had it done years ago.

Dora Hates You
 12/30/2014 02:55 PM

surfersince65

Joined Forum: 03/29/2008

Might want to consider something like this first.  I have not done it but it would be my first step plus it cost a lot less...

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/sports-medicine/procedures/advanced-techniques/stem-cell-therapy.html

JMA

12/30/2014 03:50 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

PM me. I have had both done, one resurfacing and one total. They will not do two resurfacing because of the cobalt/chromium microparticle issues.
 12/31/2014 04:44 AM

Slackattack

Joined Forum: 09/10/2011

I am a 49 year old surfer and just got a hip resurfacing 4 weeks ago.  I can only say that Dr Sands seems to be the man when it comes to these surgeries for active people. If yiu havnt seen him go!!!

I am still a month or 2 from surfing. Total hip replacment is a faster recovery time. Hope to be taking late drops and pig dogging in the barrel soon. 

12/31/2014 04:51 AM

Slackattack

Joined Forum: 09/10/2011

ocean_ave

I am 4 weeks post op from a hip resurfacing with dr Sands. Got some questions for you.  How long till you started surfing again? I would like to talk if thats possible. I feel good but scared of messing my new hip up.  Do you surf alot? At the level you did before resurfacing??? Tired of these "hip precautions". I break them all the time on accident and worry it will effect healing or risk popping it out. Message me maybe if you dont mind Ill send you my #. Really want to talk to a surfer that has had this surgery. Steve

12/31/2014 07:39 AM

OCEAN_AVE

Originally posted by: Slackattack ocean_ave I am 4 weeks post op from a hip resurfacing with dr Sands. Got some questions for you.  How long till you started surfing again? I would like to talk if thats possible. I feel good but scared of messing my new hip up.  Do you surf alot? At the level you did before resurfacing??? Tired of these "hip precautions". I break them all the time on accident and worry it will effect healing or risk popping it out. Message me maybe if you dont mind Ill send you my #. Really want to talk to a surfer that has had this surgery. Steve
Slackattack - I was back in the water 3 months out...the weather was still cold out so I was in fullsuit. Each day was beter than the last during recovery. I surf, skateboard and bike.
 12/31/2014 08:01 AM

Aloha Bob

Can't speak to the hip except second hand. My brother had one and he said it was not too bad. he was up and running (actual running)in about 3 month's. I had a full knee and it really was not to bad. Hurt more than I expected but not so bad I had to use all the pain pills I was given. Took me 4 months and 3 days before I surfed, I was in the water after about 3 months but took another month before I got the ball to just pop up. I did A LOT of exercise before and a ton more after. Stretching after is the key, especially getting the knee to bend near normal. Got some suggestions there if your interested. Aloha
 04/29/2016 08:05 AM

Ragga P

Joined Forum: 03/14/2006

Anyone have any updates to this topic? Just found out I might need to go under the knife and would love some stories of encouragement as I prep for this life event! Is Dr. Sands still the best recommendation to getting back in the water on the shortboard ASAP? Thank you in advance!

photo IMG_3156.jpg
 04/29/2016 12:49 PM

gaucho

Joined Forum: 01/13/2004

I just read where Laird Hamilton had a hip replaced. I know several runner friends who have had it dne with good results.

Chris Gotshall Photography

View samples of my work here:
https://chrisgotshallphotography.com
 04/29/2016 02:11 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Yes, Hamilton got the replacement.  

It still seems weird, but hip replacement heal far faster than repaired rotator cuffs. 

04/29/2016 02:32 PM

sillysalt

Joined Forum: 05/19/2004

A question for all...What were the factors in determining the need for hip surgery? I am 46 and stretch on a daily basis. I do notice my hips feel tighter, and I walk slightly different now to compensate.

Who needs a better life?
 04/29/2016 02:33 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I go the first weak of July.

Dean Cole at Florida hospital. He's the guy that everyone sees when they have run out of options. He is a kite surfer and understands where we are coming from.

I was right.
 04/29/2016 02:35 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: sillysalt

A question for all...What were the factors in determining the need for hip surgery? I am 46 and stretch on a daily basis. I do notice my hips feel tighter, and I walk slightly different now to compensate.

Can you put on a sock? That's the starting point.

I was right.
 04/30/2016 06:14 AM

Ragga P

Joined Forum: 03/14/2006

Originally posted by: Cole

Originally posted by: sillysalt

Can you put on a sock? That's the starting point.

Yes Cole... exactly!

*Extra two minutes every morning struggling to get my left sock on while getting ready for work (occasionally blowing out my lower back in the process)- CHECK

*General discomfort sitting up on my surfboard, especially my wider shapes- CHECK

*Handfull of blown waves each sessions due to not being able to immediately support my weight on the front leg off the drop and get my pump going, especially on mushy days- CHECK

*Then theres always the "gangsta limp" that you got going most of the time, especially when getting out of the water from just a two hour sesh- CHECK

photo IMG_3156.jpg
FORUMS : Surfing : Hip Replacement

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .