Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surf Jobs
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/12/2014 07:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/12/2014 07:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

morningfloater89

Joined Forum: 05/11/2012

Hello All,

I'm about to graduate with a Communication degree - journalism. I am aware of some of the major surf mags/publishers around, but was wondering if anyone has any good insight.

Thanks!

-------------------------

Neptune Beach Repressor

12/12/2014 07:10 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

Start your own.  We need more surfing mags.

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 12/12/2014 07:40 PM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

I'm due for a good surf job. I missed my chances this week while on a work trip.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 12/12/2014 08:43 PM

morningfloater89

Ya I was thinking about doing that actually, maybe I will haha

Neptune Beach Repressor

12/13/2014 01:20 AM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

Have you checked out - SurfCareers.com?

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 12/13/2014 06:39 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Nobody is going to hire you off your degree. Here is something you could have done while still in school started a Surfing column for the School paper.  Start writing free lance articals for any and all publications you can think of. Local news papers small magizines. Work on your camara skills.  Get creative.  start a blog do a short surf film.   You will have to make yourself a stand out from the other 99,000 Surfers out there looking to make a living off of surfing.  Remember it is a job. You will work long hours and won't be surfing as much as you think you will. 

12/13/2014 07:33 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Find a job you're good at and you enjoy that helps others and gives you freedom and flexibility in your schedule to SURF! (And travel to SURF even more if you're lucky!)

You can find ways to support the lifestyle financially with many levels of compensation based on how you live, so I won't address the money factor

Being a successful "free surfing" professional or surf photographer (like BC Laserwolf) is a dream job few will achieve including myself, so my experience has been to avoid making things I LOVE to do things I HAVE to do... That way I appreciate them and actually WANT to do them EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE

Just my opinion good luck in your quest to support a SURF lifestyle...

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 12/13/2014 10:29 AM

morningfloater89

Thanks for the advice, I still have one semster left. Maybe two I actually have been a freelance writer for our local beaches paper here, the Beaches Leader, covering surf events (and fishing, gotta give some love to fishing too), as well as some for the Florida Sportsman, ESM, and our local surf culture paper here VOID, as well as our UNF Spinnaker. I am currently working on a blog covering my travels through Nicaragua and Costa. Writing about the people I met there and surfed with, and plan to spend a few more months down through Central America documenting the style and surf there. I also want to cover some aspect of the local lifestyle (making good use of the four years of spanish electives I took, even though I had already satisfied the requirement in high school- figured I would make use of my elective space rather than waste it on some appreciation classes)..

I love what I have been doing, even though I haven't made ANY money, and if that trend continues and I never make a dime I will be happy!

Thanks for the advice

Neptune Beach Repressor

12/13/2014 10:34 AM

morningfloater89

Well, I'd LIKE to make a dime, but you know what I meant

Neptune Beach Repressor

12/13/2014 11:18 AM

CERTON

Sounds like you're on a better track than most others with similar ambition already morningfloater89, but my point is simply not to limit yourself to a "surf job".  That term is inherently an oxymoron in my mind or it should be called something else if one enjoys it and makes enough to support their lifestyle 

Having lost many jobs over the years due to surfing instead of working, I second Av8surf... Start your own whatever.  That's what I did and I haven't looked back.  Either that or get a boss like me who makes his employees take paid time off to GO SURF haha... That's right rooster!

#rydyrstrong
 12/13/2014 04:08 PM

Jepp

Joined Forum: 03/03/2014

Sell drugs. Good money there. Repeat customers.

Eh there are some legality bridges to cross but just dont get caught.

(note: this is a joke) 

12/13/2014 08:08 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Originally posted by: GREG Have you checked out - SurfCareers.com?

Cool website, but I can already tell by the small amount of jobs posted on there that it must be tough to land those gigs. I bet you can still get one, but you might have to work harder and get paid less than you would if you worked in another industry. Everything sounds fun on the surface, but like others have said once you start relying on something for a steady income it becomes a job and you may no longer find as appealling as you once did, whether you love it or not. Because of this, I have decided to work towards creative income/ careers which are steady, flexible, and lucrative enough to allow time off for surfing and travel.

With your degree, it's very likely you can end up working a career in the surf industry, but like others have said, don't limit yourself. You might have better or just a good options working in other industries. (Natl Geographic journalist has always been one that sounded cool to me)

I also agree with what Artz says about the degree. With so many college graduates these days, you really have to go above and beyond to stand out. So if you're working on extra projects and doing internships on the side, it gives you a chance to develop unique skills, which set you apart from the crowd.

Also, sounds like your in a good place since you already know what you want.

Edited: 12/14/2014 at 04:09 PM by Sector9surf
 12/13/2014 09:54 PM

sillysalt

Joined Forum: 05/19/2004

Originally posted by: CERTON Sounds like you're on a better track than most others with similar ambition already morningfloater89, but my point is simply not to limit yourself to a "surf job".  That term is inherently an oxymoron in my mind or it should be called something else if one enjoys it and makes enough to support their lifestyle 

Having lost many jobs over the years due to surfing instead of working, I second Av8surf... Start your own whatever.  That's what I did and I haven't looked back.  Either that or get a boss like me who makes his employees take paid time off to GO SURF haha... That's right rooster!

Hey what type of business did you start?

Who needs a better life?
 12/14/2014 08:15 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Good Start Floater, Now think outside of just surf writing. lots of Travel publications out there. Sport Fishing Magizines and even Sailing. Eco Tour groups and more.  Free lance writing is hard but People do make a living.   Doing some PR work for lodgings can help off set some expenses.  

You have a good start. A lot of people think this kind of gig just falls out of the sky.  You seem to undersatnd that it takes some skills and work to get your name out there.  Also humor is always good. Like writing about  a couple of surfers hiking into a remote spot with quality 6 to 8 foot waves planing to stay a couple of days with camping grea and food. After the first session they discover that Monkeys have taken most of their food ramsaked the camp site and now were tossing turds at them.  Don't ask me how I know.

12/14/2014 09:16 AM

shapewright

Joined Forum: 07/18/2010

that reminds me of traveling surfers staying at Charlie Kuhns and Johnny Futchs place in CR, Johnny would drive them up into the hills where the Howler monkeys were, have them get out of the car to feed them and then lock the doors

12/14/2014 09:19 AM

CERTON

Originally posted by: sillysalt Hey what type of business did you start?

CERTON... Rooster does good work and is rewarded with surf trips

As a suggestion to support the lifestyle in your field of expertise, consider living at surf camps and documenting the trips for guests and help promote the camps, etc.  

GREG may be a good resource if this is a viable option

#rydyrstrong
 12/14/2014 10:20 AM

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Lets see,... Hawaii, California (more than once), Colorado and PR with a
"reason" to go (other than surfing - business contacts). It's a business trip!! of course.
I don't know if he really has time to work!

And he gives back to the community. Well done.

Certon Safety Critical Engineering

...and I thought I had a good job !!

They don't pay me to go surf .... well, they kinda do.

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 12/15/2014 08:08 AM

CERTON

Make no mistake, the SunriseSurfer surfs (the waves and the internet) as much or more than anyone else in Brevard County (sometimes even when he's "on the clock"), contributes to society with selfless acts while making a good living for himself in the process, and gets in his fair share of surf travel (see his animated gif signature from PR.... rumor has it he may be going back for more soon)

I think it's "safe" to say, SS has one helluva "SURF JOB"!  

#rydyrstrong
 12/15/2014 01:53 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: artz  Nobody is going to hire you off your degree. Here is something you could have done while still in school started a Surfing column for the School paper.  Start writing free lance articals for any and all publications you can think of. Local news papers small magizines. Work on your camara skills.  Get creative.  start a blog do a short surf film.   You will have to make yourself a stand out from the other 99,000 Surfers out there looking to make a living off of surfing.  Remember it is a job. You will work long hours and won't be surfing as much as you think you will. 

and make sure your spelling and grammar are better than that too

12/15/2014 02:43 PM

lawless

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Submit work to The Intertia and reach a large international audience - http://theinertia.com/

They follow the Huffington Post model and are always looking for new contributors to exploit, uh I mean publish.

Also, check out Medium.com (https://medium.com/), it's a great place to self-publish and promote your work with a huge audience.

If you're graduating with a communications degree and you don't know this already they've done you a great disservice in this era of digital publishing.

You should be running your own Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/etc. all pushing your published work. It's the era of self-promotion, don't leave it up to begging others to publish your work for you. Publish high quality, interesting stuff and get people to read it at your own site then figure out a way to monetize it.
FORUMS : Surfing : Surf Jobs

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .