Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: pipe dreams
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/26/2014 11:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/26/2014 11:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

any advice for someone who might be living on sunset beach for 10 days during the pipe masters time period this year and wants to surf as well as spectate?

-------------------------
"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 11/26/2014 12:53 PM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

dont forget the sunscreen

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 11/26/2014 02:17 PM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

I advise that you take me with you.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 11/26/2014 02:42 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

parking is real bad , I hope you have a place to stay already. the surf crowd at the other spots is the same or less crowded during the events when I lived there. Don't forget about the west side if it gets super big , love me some Maili point . enjoy the energy , best place to spend December on the planet
 11/26/2014 05:11 PM

CERTON

Originally posted by: worksuxgetsponsered I advise that you take me with you.

I didn't say it was me...

sunscreen... check
place to stay... check

Maili point... thx Kimo 

#rydyrstrong
 11/26/2014 05:14 PM

SurfAddict

Joined Forum: 09/17/2009

Originally posted by: CERTON any advice for someone who might be living on sunset beach for 10 days during the pipe masters time period this year and wants to surf as well as spectate?

Be humble and respectful.  Ease your way into the line-up (any of 'em) and give the locals 1st crack at all the good waves.  Eventually, they'll notice and you'll get some good ones.

Have fun, and be sure to post reports and photos!

Surfing is my passion...obsesssion... addiction! Can't imagine life without it!
 11/26/2014 05:28 PM

CERTON

Originally posted by: SurfAddict  

Be humble and respectful.  Ease your way into the line-up (any of 'em) and give the locals 1st crack at all the good waves.  Eventually, they'll notice and you'll get some good ones.

Absolutely...  showing respect to locals goes without saying, so let me be more specific.   Looking for where to surf, not so much secret spots (unless you feel compelled), but "better" spots with all the pros being on the island this time of year and crowds in general.  Patiently working into a lineup is not an issue and it's ok to take a drive if needed too.  Real-time updates based on wind/swell size and direction will likely be in order as the trip approaches.

Thanks again in advance to any willing and able to share local knowledge and personal experience.  Please feel free to PM if that's your style and I'll respect the confidentiality.  

#rydyrstrong
 11/26/2014 05:53 PM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

dont go out on a fast rising swell. you might consider the area down by chuns reef / leftovers / rightovers Should be able to get some down there. Need to watch a local or talk to them about exactly where to enter the water at many spots - dont just guess. Traffic is a nightmare during the weekends when the contest is on.
 11/26/2014 06:18 PM

SurfAddict

Originally posted by: TunnelVision dont go out on a fast rising swell. you might consider the area down by chuns reef / leftovers / rightovers Should be able to get some down there. Need to watch a local or talk to them about exactly where to enter the water at many spots - dont just guess. Traffic is a nightmare during the weekends when the contest is on.

2nd that on the Chuns/ Jocko's area.

Also, do the crack-of-dawn patrol to find a few before the masses arrive.

11/26/2014 06:26 PM

SurfAddict

Originally posted by: CERTON
Originally posted by: SurfAddict  

Absolutely...  showing respect to locals goes without saying, so let me be more specific.   Looking for where to surf, not so much secret spots (unless you feel compelled), but "better" spots with all the pros being on the island this time of year and crowds in general.  Patiently working into a lineup is not an issue and it's ok to take a drive if needed too.  Real-time updates based on wind/swell size and direction will likely be in order as the trip approaches.

Thanks again in advance to any willing and able to share local knowledge and personal experience.  Please feel free to PM if that's your style and I'll respect the confidentiality.  

The respect the locals thing is more important on the North Shore than anywhere else on earth...by far.

There really are no secret spots on the North Shore.  That said, the crowds do focus more on specific / premier spots depending on the swell/ direction.  While traffic WILL be a problem at that time, it will pay to look around a bit.

11/27/2014 12:28 AM

surfbozo

Joined Forum: 11/23/2009

CERTON, I'll be there Dec 11-15, also staying around Sunset Beach. I've got a buddy that lives there that would be happy to dial you in. PM me.
 11/27/2014 04:56 AM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

while Sunset Beach is my fav spot...
I agree with the overall fun factor at Chun's Reef... considering wave quality and easy going surfers. easy paddle over to Jocos for double power

... positioning and selection
 11/27/2014 06:57 AM

CERTON

Chuns is a recurring spot even from friends offline... Mahalo for the advice keep it flowing and have a great Thanksgiving

#rydyrstrong
 11/27/2014 08:50 AM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

yeah its not just chuns, there are a lot of spots around there where you wont be risking your life. Just remember, dont go out on a rising swell. seriously, be careful. Swell can rise very fast (a matter of an hour). channels are no longer channels when it gets big.
 11/28/2014 12:32 PM

mikedaniel

Joined Forum: 01/11/2012

If "someone" is staying on sunset point they can surf backyards all day everyday as long as there's not heaps of swell. No driving needed.

If there's heaps of swell the number of surfable spots decreases rapidly, all the small wave spots get overpowered. Time to head to the dry side....

If there's more north than west in the swell try to catch Lanis, one of the best righthanders on the planet. Haliewa can be a fun respite from the glamour waves also.

edit to add that it would probably be easier/faster to walk to pipe contest from sunset point rather than drive/park

Edited: 11/28/2014 at 12:47 PM by mikedaniel
 11/28/2014 01:05 PM

Long Beard

Joined Forum: 05/13/2007

Backyards is one of the best waves on the north shore. its the closest thing to Indo you'll find. Long peeling rights with multiple heaving barrel sections. Its also the sharpest and shallowest reef here. When its overhead, not exactly a wave for the average Florida surfer ( no offense friends, I was there at one point too) It's also the only wave on the north shore where cameras aren't allowed so you aren't going to be battling it out with pro's except for the rare one who is more into riding a good wave then getting exposure on one. The regulars are normal working neighborhood guys but don't fuck with them. Its the same crew out there every day. Wait your turn and don't cut anyone off or you'll quickly be banned for the rest of your trip. Wait your turn and be respectful and you'll get nothing but aloha. This is one place where its ok to bail your board if your caught on the inside ( as long as no ones right behind you.) The majority of injuries I see out there are people trying to duck dive big balls of white wash in 2-4ft of water and getting drilled all over the reef. Myself included. Last year I saw a guy get his entire ear completely ripped off in a failed attempt to duck dive. The left is really good too. Not as long of a ride as the right and the barrels aren't as good but its a bit safer and the pack tends to be a bit more friendly. Remember, NO PICTURES. Guys WILL smash your camera. I can't tell you how many times I've seen random tourists who don't even surf feel the wrath of Tamayo Perry and other guys for taking pictures of the waves. Come to think of it, I shouldn't even be talking about Yards on a public forum but Mike threwit out there so I'll chime in as its my go to break
Dont bother at the main spots like Rockies, Pipe, Sunset and V Land in December. You'll more then likely not get many waves. Lanis, Chuns, Leftovers, 5-0's, Marry J's, Alligators and all the waves in Waialua are great waves and bit user friendly. and always good vibes. Same with the waves at Turtle Bay. Again, don't burn anyone and don't leave anything in your rental car. Your more then likely going to get broken into. Tweakers living in the bushes on crystal meth is a big problem here on the north shore. Good luck!!

R I P Mama G.

@Salt.And.Savagery.Fishing

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf
 11/28/2014 01:08 PM

Long Beard

If you insist on giving the main spots a go, take advantage of contest days. When Pipe is on, everyone is there. This is your window to get rockies and the others.

R I P Mama G.

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf
 11/28/2014 01:22 PM

Long Beard

oh yeah and parking is a nightmare. I'm pretty sure the local cop is part of kickback program with the local tow company because vehicles are getting towed hourly from v-land to Waimea.

R I P Mama G.

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf
 11/28/2014 04:27 PM

sawulater

Joined Forum: 08/02/2014

dont worry if someone gives you a tough time in the water tho just tell them you know laserwolf and he clued you in right here on 2light all good

11/28/2014 04:41 PM

CERTON

That's legit info someone is very appreciative... Thank you 

#rydyrstrong
FORUMS : Surfing : pipe dreams

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .