Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Sunset ASP Contest
Topic Summary: Second Jewel in Triple Crown
Created On: 11/25/2014 12:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/25/2014 12:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

It's on:  http://www.aspworldtour.com/#!state=%2Fevents%2F2014%2Fmqs%2F728%2Fvans-world-cup

Unruly today but contestable.    On Heat 3.  Damo in 7.

Shredders in every heat of course.

11/25/2014 01:02 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

looks a little nasty still , that place held me down the longest anywhere I've ever surfed
 11/25/2014 02:14 PM

Central Floridave

those are nasty conditions. Are they stressed for time? Why run it in big mush?
 11/25/2014 02:50 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

plenty of good waves with some size and shape coming through... even some THUNKY bowl sections and challenging conditions making it worth the watch

-------------------------
"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 11/26/2014 10:41 AM

JBSURF

Joined Forum: 10/11/2004

Whats the deal with all the mustaches?

http://www.aspworldtour.com/ev...t/986/target-maui-pro

Watched the womens Maui event pre-show and all the announcers have `staches..

I've decided to accept the fact - I'll always be a big kid!

Edited: 11/26/2014 at 11:26 AM by JBSURF
 11/26/2014 11:04 AM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

Originally posted by: JBSURF

Whats the deal with all the mustaches? [IMG][/IMG]

">http://www.aspworldtour.com/ev...et-maui-pro

Watched the womens Maui event pre-show and all the announcers have `staches..

It's Movember! Mustaches to raise awareness for men's health I believe.
 11/26/2014 11:55 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Originally posted by: Central Floridave those are nasty conditions. Are they stressed for time? Why run it in big mush?

That Big Mush would kick your sorry little forida Butt.  There is a lot of water moving and a lot of power at Sunset.  Shifting peaks and the inside section can clean your clock.  notice that they ride long boards at Sunset then do a Pipline. In many respects it's a much harder wave to surf then Pipline. 

11/26/2014 04:37 PM

eibla

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Originally posted by: Kimo63

looks a little nasty still , that place held me down the longest anywhere I've ever surfed

True dat! Rumor is Pipeline is a killer. The truth is Sunset killed 'em and they just washed up at Pipeline.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness -
John Kenneth Galbraith
 11/26/2014 05:22 PM

rc

Originally posted by: artz

Originally posted by: Central Floridave those are nasty conditions. Are they stressed for time? Why run it in big mush?

That Big Mush would kick your sorry little forida Butt.  There is a lot of water moving and a lot of power at Sunset.  Shifting peaks and the inside section can clean your clock.  notice that they ride long boards at Sunset then do a Pipline. In many respects it's a much harder wave to surf then Pipline. 

I think Dave is well aware of what Sunset Beach's power level is, it just seemed a little low on the ASP quality level. Which "Florida butt" would you be referring to: Kelly, CJ, Damien, Shea, Cory, Frieda, Lisa, um, I digress.

Great surfing as always though.
 11/27/2014 08:32 AM

artz

Originally posted by: rc
I think Dave is well aware of what Sunset Beach's power level is, it just seemed a little low on the ASP quality level. Which "Florida butt" would you be referring to: Kelly, CJ, Damien, Shea, Cory, Frieda, Lisa, um, I digress. Great surfing as always though.

Yeap some pretty good surfers have come out of Florida But the average Florida surfer thinks he is way better then he really is.  Those that travel and learn to surf real waves waves with some power and juice can mature into fine surfers.  

I have no idea who dave is or where he has surfed. The Mushy comment came across like he was some kook attmpting to up his internet surfer profile.  as you can see from others that commented here the " Mushy " did not sit well with many who have surfer there and have respect for The wave and the locals that love that shifting peak and difficult to learn and read wave.  I'll admit I am ofically over the hill chances are I will never Surf Sunset or any other big wave again. Some of my old surfing buddies in Hawaii still surf there. They were once the young Lions that charged They are now the respected elders. 

11/27/2014 08:56 AM

CERTON

That guy Dave does the Reid Report for 2ndlight... he's an original member and major contributor of trusted information with over 40,000 posts... I had the pleasure of meeting him, rc, and many others on here at our recent benefit for Matt B... all great people that have been surfing for a long time... Looking forward to surfing some big mush at Sunset myself soon

#rydyrstrong

Edited: 11/27/2014 at 09:04 AM by CERTON
 11/27/2014 09:33 AM

artz

If I offened Dave I'll just say that I am sorry.     

11/27/2014 10:33 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Originally posted by: CERTON That guy Dave does the Reid Report for 2ndlight... he's an original member and major contributor of trusted information with over 40,000 posts... I had the pleasure of meeting him, rc, and many others on here at our recent benefit for Matt B... all great people that have been surfing for a long time... Looking forward to surfing some big mush at Sunset myself soon

CFlDave  and Chuck started this website.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

11/27/2014 12:36 PM

CERTON

Yeah, I remember... It used to be Walt and BigSpike coming through with the most reliable forecasts for CFL back in the day.  I joined the forum in 2003 with the rest of the early members having surfed 2ndlight during my high school days. I disappeared for a few years and forgot my original login info, so I created a new one recently....  2ndlight has always been a great source of all kinds of information and impressively it still is today. 

#rydyrstrong
 11/27/2014 12:38 PM

rc

If I offened Dave I'll just say that I am sorry.     

It's all good, just wanted to let you know Dave meant no ill will,
and let you know that when I started surfing many years ago
that East Coasters were crap in the eyes of the world of surfing.

They've come a long way!

Hoping for more champs to come from here in the future but
that's another thread!

And now on to the contest at hand to cheer for DAMO!
 11/27/2014 01:36 PM

Central Floridave

No offense taken, and yes, I would get my butt kicked in that big mush! I'd be smart enough to not even attempt the paddle out!

I did mean that it is not ASP quality and they typically wait for better conditions. That is why I asked if they were stressed for time and/or, maybe the swell forecast isn't good so they are running it in big mush anyway.

11/27/2014 06:25 PM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

First time I surfed Sunset was early Spring 1976 on a big gnarly day like the contest's first day. I rode a 7'6' pintail and rode only 8 waves. The big drops were awesome, but I had lotsa trouble surfing the wave cause it was so bouncy. Eventually broke my jaw when I got bounced off the reef, jamming my knee up into my face.

Last visit I caught a couple days of fun point break waves there... rippable slightly overhead clean and lined up. And rode a 9'1" Johnny Rice performance board.

ditto on hard to read that break and how easy it is to get worked there.

... positioning and selection
 11/28/2014 10:33 AM

artz

Originally posted by: freesurfs First time I surfed Sunset was early Spring 1976 on a big gnarly day like the contest's first day. I rode a 7'6' pintail and rode only 8 waves. The big drops were awesome, but I had lotsa trouble surfing the wave cause it was so bouncy. Eventually broke my jaw when I got bounced off the reef, jamming my knee up into my face. Last visit I caught a couple days of fun point break waves there... rippable slightly overhead clean and lined up. And rode a 9'1" Johnny Rice performance board. ditto on hard to read that break and how easy it is to get worked there.

I can't imagine how much a broken jaw would hurt.  Many years ago on bad wipeout at Blacks.  I gave myself a bloody nose with my Knee. Now the middle age gut would act as an airbag.  

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .