Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Beautiful Paddleout Story From Saturday 19 December
Topic Summary: Celebrating the Life of Wes Ellsworth - and Wes Responds
Created On: 11/24/2014 04:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/24/2014 04:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

weldertom2

Joined Forum: 04/14/2005

[URL=http://s113.photobucket.com/user/tomjones_01/media/WesPaddleout_zps465962f3.jpg.html][/URL]

A member of the Texas surf tribe passed away from ALS recently over here. I barely knew Wes myself, but he was a friend to all who met and surfed with him. A meterologist with Continental Airlines, he was "our own Tiptime" if you will....... who wryly provided weather information and prognostication to us over at www.elrideintl.net

I will turn this over to our friend Grace ( former resident of Melbourne Beach) - as she tells the story of Wes and the paddleout at Surfside Texas........Please enjoy:

I can't even begin to tell you all the emotions behind this image...it isn't a photo of clouds in the sky or a pretty picture...it is a sign from above, a tip of the hat, a last aloha from a good friend.

For the friends of mine who do not know...Wes, a friend of ours, recently lost his 8 year battle to ALS. It is customary for surfers to celebrate the life of a fellow surfer with a Paddle Out...we all paddle out, form a circle in the water and celebrate the life of a friend lost.

This past Saturday was the Celebration of Life and Paddle Out for Wes Ellsworth. We were all praying for good weather but the forecast was showing the worst of it for Saturday. It didn't matter though... we all came prepared. Prior to Wes's ALS diagnosis he was a meteorologist for the airlines and we just figured it was Wes giving us crappy weather so no one would be missing out on good surf. Lol. Wes is thoughtful like that and made up for it by giving us some really fun surf the next day. 

So after stories were told, songs were sung and Flor De Cana shots ( his favorite!) were taken in Wes's honor...it was time for the paddle out. Everyone suited up, grabbed their boards and was heading to the beach where the weather suddenly cleared out....the sun started peeking out, the winds calmed down, the rain held back and out of no where, a perfect set of waves in the sky appeared. We all knew what it was...it was Wes, letting us know he was there. Everyone erupted with hoots, hollers, tears, fists in the air and screaming 'Wes'! That moment in life would make anyone a believer. Minutes later Wes's waves were gone and the paddle out took place. Those waves in the sky may have disappeared but that moment will live with every one of us forever.

I had a lot of guilt and heart ache about not visiting Wes over the past few years but when I saw those wave in the sky, it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I really don't know how to explain it but I knew in my heart what he wanted me to know. I didn't think it or say "hmm, I wonder if that is what he meant' or anything like that. And, I am sure those waves meant something different to each one of us but to me it was Wes telling me it was okay...it was a good friend saying he was there with us and always will be. We love you Wes, we miss you and one day you can show us how the hell you did that!! Aloha until then.

11/24/2014 04:54 PM

weldertom2

Joined Forum: 04/14/2005

Photo credit to GScott............

[URL=http://s113.photobucket.com/user/tomjones_01/media/Wes2_zps832c404c.jpg.html][/URL]

11/24/2014 07:03 PM

artman

Joined Forum: 03/10/2009

Nice way to celebrate the life of a friend, I've been to several over the last few years (part of aging I guess) some were for friends and others for surfers taken in a tragic way that made me want to pay respect.

During one of these paddleouts I heard someone say that whenever they see a good wave go unridden, their friends that have passed are riding them...nice thought.
 11/24/2014 07:10 PM

Kingkook1

Joined Forum: 06/23/2012

EPIC.

11/25/2014 03:39 AM

fausteddie

Joined Forum: 08/10/2009

Tom,

Great job honoring your friend.

ALS still has no cure..I lost my mom to it :-(

http://www.waronals.com/

11/25/2014 07:03 AM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

That cloud formation is extremely rare. Waves in sky. 

What a great way to celebrate his life. With a day at the beach with friends. Not at some funeral house. 

How is the surfing in Texas? 

-------------------------
Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 11/25/2014 07:26 AM

johnny

Joined Forum: 12/31/2004

That is quite an awesome photo
All the best,
 11/25/2014 07:54 AM

palmtreeg

Joined Forum: 04/27/2010

Tom, that is an awesome photo and story, thanks for sharing!

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Wes to this terrible disease.

Fausteddie, I lost my Mom to ALS just over a year ago, as she described: "it is like being buried alive".

After my mother passed away at the Hospice House in Vero Beach (the people working there are absolutely angels), last year, I went behind the House and balled crying, a hawk kept interrupting me and got my attention to look up, I could not see it, but I could hear it, finally it emerged from the woods and flew away, and there is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that this was my mother telling me she was OK and she is finally FREE of the disease...

I know that is what Wes was signaling as well

Life is precious and short, enjoy every moment, take every opportunity to surround yourself with the people you love and don't sweat the small stuff!!!

Brevard Surf Report
 11/25/2014 10:04 AM

Tiptime

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

weldertom2--wished I could have made out Wes Ellsworth was one of the most caring and kind person you'd ever meet, Deftly a great lose to the surfing community, he'll be dearly missed.. RIP Wes!!

The Wavecaster
 11/25/2014 10:29 AM

mattyu

Joined Forum: 09/12/2011

Thank you for posting that!

11/25/2014 05:46 PM

Nat

Joined Forum: 06/07/2014

What a great and beautiful way to be remembered by.

Nat

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .