Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: puerto rico surfboard rental
Topic Summary: Going to puerto this week and the sailing out on cruise from there and cannot bring boards cruise so i need to rent.
Created On: 11/23/2014 08:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/23/2014 08:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BlueFish85

Joined Forum: 05/29/2012

Going to puerto this week and then sailing out on cruise from there on November 30th and cannot bring boards on cruise so i need to rent. What place has a good selection in San Juan or on the way to Fajardo? I really wish i could bring my own boards because the surfline is calling for shoulder to couple feet overhead and I don't want to be on some stange piece of junk. 

How much does fedex charge to ship there from Central Florida?

11/24/2014 08:43 AM

BlueFish85

A lot of looks but nobody has posted any info. Surely someone has set foot in a surf shop in the northeast recently and seen some decent boards for rent. Please provide info. Looking for performance shortboard rental (5'9-6'3"). 

11/24/2014 08:48 AM

big rick

Joined Forum: 02/20/2005

are you just hanging around in san juan?

-------------------------
hey, i don't know if you read this yet ----------> I <3 16streets.com

thank you Sean O'hare

Delicious beer comes from here
 11/24/2014 04:51 PM

AgentDeets

Joined Forum: 03/11/2009

Try La Ocho shop in Old San Juan or Tres Palmas shop.  Not positive they rent boards but they should be able to hook you up!  Fun spots around San Juan!

You think I like this hair, man? You think I like these clothes?

11/25/2014 06:35 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

You should change the post above one fun SPOT around San Juan,  Unless you can get to Aviones , La pared (1.5 hrs out of San Juan) in my experince only one spot to surf in San Juan easily, That would be La Ocho, easy to find, Go to Escambron Beach, public parking.  Most breaks turn on when it is epic but on a regualr head to Head + La Ocho is the only game in town. 

Logistics is gonna be easy, get off the boat, Taxi to a La Ocho Surf shop they rent boards, then walk to Escambron Beach.  Paddle way out to the left of the big rock, or if you are nutty try the right side of the rock.

Ultra crowded, no rules, reminds me of a good day at reef road, everyone just going no regards to surf edicate.  Being a gringo you will do fine solo, if you show up with 3-4 guys all gringo, you gonna get some vibes.

Enjoy and watch ouut for shoulder hoppers, Last time I was there I was the only gringo out, no problem I an very used to that, I caught a macker and was S-Turning flying down the line , Mach 1... loving it and sure enough a guy shoulder dropped without even looking back, I could not avoid slamming into him HARD, we came up and he was dazed holding his head, his friends had to paddle him in.  Being the only gringo I expected backlash vibes but everyone saw him drop in so they left the gringo (me) alone, even gave me some space.

Edited: 11/25/2014 at 07:03 AM by SurferMic
 11/25/2014 07:01 AM

TallPaul

Joined Forum: 01/03/2014

Originally posted by: SurferMic You should change the post above to alot of fun SPOT around San Juan,  Unless you can get to Aviones , La pared (1.5 hrs out of San Juan) in my experince only one spot to surf in San Juan easily, That would be La Ocho, easy to find, Go to Escambron Beach, public parking.  Most breaks turn on when it is epic but on a regualr head to Head + La Ocho is the only game in town. 

Took a booze cruise (about 10+yrs ago) with some buddys and we were able to carry our surfboards on the ship. Not sure if you can do that anymore, but that didn't say anything about them then. Not sure of the name of the beach, but when we got off the boat in PR one of the workers stopped us and said take the bus rather than a taxi. Told us gringos to say to the bus driver "donde esta la playa?" and point to our boards. (BTW, I don't speak spanish at all) Paid like 50c and they took us to a beach a little east (i think) of the fort. Ended up surfing (about waist high) for an hour or so before heading back to the ship.

11/25/2014 07:08 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

You will know if you were at La Ocho if you had to paddle way out (monster hole distance) to a large rock from a sandy little keyhole, jump off spot.  Wierd thing about San Juan is the large reef way offshore that surrounds that area, from talking with locals who have boats jet-skis etc. the outer reefs are world class BUT if you follow the reef around to the West there is a break in the offshore reef around the caribe Hilton, this allows La Ocho to break.  More breaks further west but La Ocho is your best bet.

If you want to save $$ La Ocho is simply Bus Stop number 8, never did the bus ride so I do not know much about it but you would have to walk up from Bus stop 8 to the shop then back down again, no real big deal but to maximize time just taxi to the shop.  You may have to pay tourist prices but maybe ask first the price.  99.9% of locals speak English but if you can try out your Spanish when asking about the cab price.

If you wnt an adventure, rent a SUP and somehow get it to the Coranondo area (rich Tourist area look for the Sheraton), Go behind the Sheraton and Paddle way out to the outside reef , no idea maybe 1 mile or so?  You will definately come back with tales of waves, currents, and full -on open water solo survival.  Yes Do that and post back how it was!!!! Bring a few straps for the SUP and the taxi...they do rent SUPs at La Ocho Surf Shop...That would be a true adventure with large open water drops, BTW, never seen a shark ever in PR , in fact I rarley see any sealife over there (over fished?)

Edited: 11/25/2014 at 07:27 AM by SurferMic
 11/25/2014 01:23 PM

BlueFish85

I will be staying in Fajardo with a rental car so I can stop at any shop between the san juan and Fajardo for a decent board. rincon and the northwestern side don't have much going on for surf through sunday so that side isn't an option. 

11/27/2014 03:37 PM

big rick

I thought there was a spot in luquillo beach that rented boards
But I don't remember. When I surfed jobos, there was a WRV
shop that had plenty of surfboards to rent but that's the other
side of the island.

I'll post more when I'm at my computer

thank you Sean O'hare

11/28/2014 09:11 AM

surfthrulife

Joined Forum: 12/25/2003

Don't hesitate to call my buddy in Rincon Bobby @ Marazul surf shop Over 200 boards available to rent Also has 2 clean and secure places to stay Tell em Bill @ LBH sent ya Look him on Facebook
 11/28/2014 05:51 PM

big rick

yeah, that's a good shop and there should be a place in the
luquillo beach area... not a bad wave

if you're taking a break and are looking for a solid spot to
grab a bite to eat, feel free to follow this link to this tiny lil
restaurant that i don't know the name of
that i stopped by
when i was there.....

fresh sea food, amazing locally made sangria, and a freaking
awesome view simply by walking across the street

Fajardo picture above but bigger

thank you Sean O'hare

11/28/2014 05:58 PM

big rick

these dudes have a contact us page on their site
hit them up and see what they say

http://www.boardriderssurfbarandgrill.com/

thank you Sean O'hare

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .