Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Surfer's lifestyle
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/20/2014 08:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/21/2014 08:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

All great advice. (Well at least most of it) . I'm still curious to know if the filmers/ surfers such as Mikey D, who makes amazing videos BTW, fund their own movies and then pay their bills with the movie premieres and DVD sales or if they have sponsors making it possible. I also knew the guy who made the East Coast Shapers Video(I think he's bus on here), but never got a chance to ask him about it.

I can almost bet that most of the film producers do it on the side in 3-4 month intervals, while working other jobs, but I've never had a chance to ask so may never know.

11/21/2014 08:25 AM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

All I've ever wanted to do was surf and travel, and unfortunately I'm not good enough at surfing to get paid to that..best I could come up with to be able to travel as much I want is to do travel nursing, about to start nursing school 2-3 hrs from surf though.. Planning on on living cheap for a few years and spending my money on extended surf trips between the 13 week assignments, and hopefully get to live in some cool places in the process. 

11/21/2014 08:29 AM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: tingo Some type of sales job. When the waves are good you say you have to see a potential client.

I know a girl who makes 100k selling copiers.

Me Im a nerdy insurance agent that gets paid on commision only. i punch no time clock or am i tied to the desk. When the waves come i just pick up and leave. I closed my biggest account on the phone in Tamarindo. The client had no idea I was in wet baggies and holding an imperial.  The money is good enough to send two kids to private schools and take a family of 4 on vacations.

Money seemes to come with age. I didnt make two nickel until 30+ yrs old

I think what it all eventually comes down to is networking and as you get older have more chances to build on this(5 years ago, I knew no one compared to today). Me, I'm a good student, but lack the networks and am not extremely passionate about my degree. However, I'm hoping that by the time I get to be your age I will have all three; the skills, the passion, and the networks (which will probably all be ironically polar opposite from my college degree.

Anyways, my assumption is that most people would rather put their hobby and lifestyles before their work, but that not everyone does so and later regrets it.  However, when I look at people who have and those which haven't, it seems to me that the people who follow their passion open up a whole world more of opportunities, much greater than the ones who follow a career.

So what's more important? To have the lifestyle or career come first? (Of course best is to have both)

BTW, there's nothing wrong with being nerdy.

Edited: 11/21/2014 at 11:26 AM by Sector9surf
 11/21/2014 11:30 AM

dan

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

So what's more important? To have the lifestyle or career come first?

Lifestyle!  Careers are over rated!

If I could hit rewind about 20 yrs I'd buy a 1 way ticket to Noosa and surf that point for a good few years then figure out what I wanted to do from there.

11/21/2014 12:15 PM

Sector9surf

What colleges need is a list of degrees or jobs matching the lifestyle you want when you finish school. (In that case, many people probably just wouldn't go.)

I've found it to be such a tough decision when you excel at school and want the jobs, but don't want the lifestyle those jobs offer.

I'm starting to find that there are so many off the wall jobs that can pay well and require much less education. realty, sales/ agency,, contractor/ tech work, and growing/farming, etc...all seem to offer financial opportunities that are just as good or better than many college degrees. After, 6 years, I really wonder why I've taken all these classes, but feel obligated to finish and get at least a bachelors from all the random degree programs I've started.

I'm sure many people have also had the same college experience. The thing which I find ironic is that the lifestyles I envy don't require much college or professional experience if any at all. Yes, going to school and becoming a lawyer, CEO, or doctor, etc... seem like lucrative and fulfilling careers but they require a career lifestyle of years of hardwork and no play. If I were ever to be a working professional, I would still want to have an option of part-time and flexible work. I don't think this comes in the professional world until after 10-20 years of paying dues. However, I could be wrong.

Like Dan said though, I also think that the lifestyle should come first before a career.

11/21/2014 12:28 PM

Jack'

Joined Forum: 04/27/2005

I decided to do what I love instead of chase money. I do a lil bit of everything to make money and I make enough to get by and buy boards. If you want to go on trips, I suggest you buy less boards and put 40-60 a week in a travel fund. Before you know it you will have enough.

-------------------------
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
 11/21/2014 12:41 PM

PepperDeath

Joined Forum: 09/27/2014

Clearly everyone here has their own opinion on lifes priorities when it comes to balancing surfing, travel, and the rest of existance. In my humble opinion, do what will make you and yours happiest & don't hesistate to take risks and overthink possible outcomes. If you are not doing or getting what you want, make a change.. today! . For me, I wasn't happy in a relationship a while back, so I left.. I wasn't happy at my job, so I quit (yesterday haha) and if something goes wrong or doesn't work out because of these or any other decisions, I will figure it out and make the necessary changes to be happy again. Life is too short to get bogged down and simply become content with a way of life simply because it's easy. And bloody hell, think of the possibilities if one stopped endlessly chasing the almighty dollar and just lived thier lives. (people make it work everyday, espicially when you are not living in a consumer economy like the states.)

If you want to travel and make films or whatever it is, and your ol lady is down, Go. Even if everything goes completely wrong, what is the worst that is going to happen? You come back and have to start over and times may be tough but at least you tried and didn't wake up in 10, 15 years miserable and wondering what if you had taken that one extra chance or made that one little (or big) change. Sometimes you just have stop thinking and overanalyzing and have a 'fuck it' moment. I'll leave you with my 'slogan' when people ask me what my plans are, or when I'll be somewhere, or what my future holds, "I'll be where I'm at when I'm there" and in the mean time I'll figure it out, and it will all be ok.

(I realize this midset doesn't work for everyone and that is fine.. and keep in mind I am in my mid 20's, single, and no kids)

Lastly, if you are not already aware http://www.workaway.info/ has the potential to open endless doors to new people, places, and experiences.

'Out of step' - Ian Mackaye

11/21/2014 12:47 PM

johnny

Joined Forum: 12/31/2004

what are you studying? it does seem most of the more flexible jobs stop at the 4 yr degree mark (or earlier), at least until you are well established later in life

I'm 28, work in IT & am a RE broker w/ a finance degree from UCF. Relatively flexible schedule, but I've never traveled for surf (just don't have that urge, plus my wife is not a surfer, we traveled for other things), get to take some extra duties caring for my 8 m/o son instead now. Wife is a grade school teacher.

even before my son was born I could not travel for weeks at a time, moreso have the ability to make it out locally on any given day. Not as ideal as some others have it, but I'll take it. living in a low key low cost area, instead of a rat race region like SFL (with less waves too), where I grew up, is also a plus

Edited: 11/21/2014 at 12:54 PM by johnny
 11/21/2014 01:30 PM

Lounge-A-Rama

At the end of one's life, in last waning moments of this life, does anyone say: "I wish I had taken more advantage of the overtime opportunities at work."? "I wish I'd bought more toys, a bigger house."? Would you rather say, and be glad, that you surfed all over the globe and had wonderful experiences? Met amazing people, danced with native girls (or guys) drank potions with the Shaman. Tasted life like an ripe peach with the juice running down your chin. The experiential is always preferable to owning "things" to my way of thinking. Experience is everything. And of be, do or have, being is the way. "Being" while doing. Yeah!

Life is a garden*Dig it!
 11/21/2014 01:40 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Originally posted by: Lounge-A-Rama At the end of one's life, in last waning moments of this life, does anyone say: "I wish I had taken more advantage of the overtime opportunities at work."? "I wish I'd bought more toys, a bigger house."? Would you rather say, and be glad, that you surfed all over the globe and had wonderful experiences? Met amazing people, danced with native girls (or guys) drank potions with the Shaman. Tasted life like an ripe peach with the juice running down your chin. The experiential is always preferable to owning "things" to my way of thinking. Experience is everything. And of be, do or have, being is the way. "Being" while doing. Yeah!

Nice!

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

11/21/2014 01:53 PM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

Like I mentioned I am an insurance agent but mostly commercial stuff(businesses).

My point is I see all types of ways people make money.

Im convinced it is to sell somthing by way of importing it then wholesaleing it out. 

11/21/2014 02:01 PM

Sector9surf

Someone asked what I'm in school for(or at least I think they were asking me). It's a 4 year degree in Business Admin which I will finish next fall.

When I finish, even if I'm working in an office, I want to get out and start meeting people who I can learn something more from than what school can teach. I'm also hoping that by having a bachelors degree done and more time on my hands I will be able to explor other career opportunities which allow me to do a little bit of traveling and surf.

Edited: 11/21/2014 at 02:22 PM by Sector9surf
 11/21/2014 02:21 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Lounge hit the spot... 

This is the fundamental dilemma for any surfer and a question that will be continuously contemplated, assessed, and reassessed with almost every decision we make on a daily basis for the rest of our lives... I'm going to avoid answering the original question you asked, since there are too many factors that are likely completely irrelevant to your situation anyway and how much money you need to disappear for a year is debateable even with well defined constraints.

I will say that I'm further along than you on my path to figuring all of this out for myself (aka, older than you) and very fortunate to have a home on the ocean still surfing almost daily in the best shape of my life with an incredible understanding and supportive wife who has been with me since we were broke students and she was dealing with me finding ways to take surf trips.  We now have two amazing young kids who we homeschool together in support of this quest for happiness that is almost completely centered around the eternal "surfer's lifestyle" and exploring coastlines around the globe together gaining rich life experiences before they go off into the world on their own.

All of this while contributing to society in the niche of "safety-critical engineering" (which many of you may relate to and appreciate if you fly on airplanes or have had an MRI).  

We haven't abandoned the civilized world and bought a small camper (yet!), but I do echo Pepper's simple one line wisdom quotes that represent how I tried to view these type of decisions in my mid 20's and I still do even now...  

"Do what will make you and yours happy & don't hesistate to take risks and overthink possible outcomes."

Just to clarify the above quote (from my perspective)... DO NOT OVERTHINK POSSIBLE OUTCOMES, since you will almost always be wrong anyway!

"I'll be where I'm at when I'm there and in the mean time I'll figure it out, and it will all be ok."

GOOD LUCK (you'll need it no matter what you do) and you always have 2ndlight and anyone they know as part of your "network" (for better or worse).  

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 11/21/2014 02:28 PM

Les356

Joined Forum: 11/17/2011

I kind of grew up in Carpinteria Calif, surfed the Rincon almost every day with Al Merrick, Tommy Curran, Mark Andreini and the boys. Was building boats at the time and got offerred a job in Bali to do the same. Ended up running the Gee-Lander to Boyums camp as well as making excursions throughout Java, Bali, Lombok and Sumbawa. got to surf with all my idols. Spent 15 years there, Now working my own business and surf the streets whenever possible. I'm pushing 70 now, but never lost the want to surf. You just gotta go where the waves are and figure out what you can do to stay there.

11/21/2014 02:30 PM

Lounge-A-Rama

CERTON, that's gold right there, buddy. Very eloquent. Thank you.

Life is a garden*Dig it!
 11/21/2014 02:36 PM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: CERTON

We haven't abandoned the civilized world and bought a small camper (yet!

I take it you haven't seen one of the vintage style teardrop campers. On a trip to California, a few years ago, when I still had my van, my wife and spent almost a month living and camping out of the van(with a leaky roof) and although we were feeling kind of dirty and probably smelling awful by the end of the trip, it was completely worth it and may do it all over again! I want to remember 20 years from now are all the great times we've had(even if it means not showering for a week or two) and not how bad it sucked working my whole life.

11/21/2014 02:42 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Lounge, If you take my words and apply the extreme pressures and temperatures of life's lessons learned (and counting...) to compress it all down, what you will have left over is the truth in your reply, which is diamond.  So, to that I say, Thank you.

Sector, I hear you and have owned more than one VW bus (and I have a '66 split window camper bus even now) but I'm not considering it for family surf travel (yet!).

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 11/21/2014 06:50 PM

sillysalt

Joined Forum: 05/19/2004

Originally posted by: tingo Some type of sales job. When the waves are good you say you have to see a potential client.

I know a girl who makes 100k selling copiers.

Me Im a nerdy insurance agent that gets paid on commision only. i punch no time clock or am i tied to the desk. When the waves come i just pick up and leave. I closed my biggest account on the phone in Tamarindo. The client had no idea I was in wet baggies and holding an imperial.  The money is good enough to send two kids to private schools and take a family of 4 on vacations.

Money seemes to come with age. I didnt make two nickel until 30+ yrs old

Good stuff, Tingo!

Who needs a better life?
 11/22/2014 12:50 PM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: CERTON Lounge, If you take my words and apply the extreme pressures and temperatures of life's lessons learned (and counting...) to compress it all down, what you will have left over is the truth in your reply, which is diamond.  So, to that I say, Thank you.

Sector, I hear you and have owned more than one VW bus (and I have a '66 split window camper bus even now) but I'm not considering it for family surf travel (yet!).

I've considered getting one because they are the only low priced mid sized van with the option of a pop-top and decent gas mileage. Unfortunately for me, trying to drive a stick is just not going to work. I will be sticking with the minivan. http://Camperize.com has awesome ideas!

Edited: 11/22/2014 at 01:52 PM by Sector9surf
 11/22/2014 01:04 PM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

If you're really heading out to the 3rd world to live/work/surf

you're gonna want to know how to drive a stick.

Just sayin.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
FORUMS : Surfing : The Surfer's lifestyle

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .