Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: For those interested in connecting to graphic designers, photographers, and filmers
Topic Summary: A quick survey to help a fellow surfer.
Created On: 10/29/2014 06:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/29/2014 06:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Some of you might have already seen this post in another thread. If so just skip to the questions. If not, read through it. Either way I'd like you guys to answer a couple of questions if you think you can relate to them. Thanks in advance!

So I talked to startup coach at UCF about my previous idea and he recommended I do more research still and turn my idea into a 1 sentence identity before I go on any further.(So I narrowed that down and have it written below)

For the research, first and foremost he said I need to identify who my users are and how they network. (I've already identified the pain, problem, and opportunity based on my hypothesis and am now trying to determine if it's true.)

My idea/ identity is:

To provide a way for amateur and professional media designers to connect to clients and sponsors.

The research questions are:

1. Are you a filmer, graphic designer, photographer or other?

2. What level (beginner, amateur hobbyist, student, or professional)

3. How do you go about connecting with clients and building porfolios?

4. Are most customers new or returning and how many are from referrals?

5. Do you find it a pain or have a tough time getting exposure?

6. Would you pay a commission or fee for this service?

7. If you are a business looking to hire, sponsor, or endorse how do you approach finding someone for these services? (reverse the above scenario)

8. Are you interested in portfolio building?

9. If this service is already out there online, what do you use and what are the pros and cons? 

As a side note, on the identity, I originally wanted to include surfers and athletes as potential clients to users so that they could connect, but I've come to the conclusion that this might be impractical. I'm also unsure if this would appeal more to amateurs, professionals, or both if to anyone at all, and whether "portfolio building" appeals to anyone. By portfolio building, I mean connecting filmers or photographers who want to do a project or production with people/ subjects for that, but on a peer-level and free of charge.(Probably similar to what students at Full Sail do, but with the volunteer network already there). The answers to the questions above, will be helping me determine which approach to take and, if the need is there, who it's for.(Who knows this may end up having a completely different market appeal than my original plan)

Also, I'm aware that there are similar businesses already out there, which I'm happy to check out if you mention it. However, the purpose of this research is to determine whether there is a pain point or problem out there and if it can be addressed, not whether my idea is original.

Thank you in advance to everyone who participates in this survey.

10/30/2014 05:24 AM

Surfproducts.Com

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Social networking as done alot for everyone, along with your own personal website portfoilo.

Alot in Da industry work is passed along with someone you know, and its hard to break into some feilds in Da industry. Unless you have a niche product you provide.

You gotta make a better wheel!!

-------------------------
http://www.Surfproducts.com
The Future of Surf Shopping
Or come visit
Cocoa Beach Surf & Skate
260 N. Orlando Ave.
 10/30/2014 06:08 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

1. GD / illustrator

2. professional

3. admittedly I dont try hard enough, I'm better at promoting other people than myself..... I havent updated my website in years.  lol

4. returning and referrals..... I will get the random contact

5. see #3..... I have 2 recurring jobs, then fish for others to fill gaps, but I'll admit, I get get slack and go surfing in my "downtime" when I should be lining up more work

6. Have had mixed results with the "head hunter" thing, the devil is in the details.  If it's a "salesperson" that can get good work at good rates, for a slice then yeah... already kinda do this with a buddy of mine.  We'll send each other work that the other is better at (he's a good web/interactive guy, I'm better print/illustration/logos, etc

7. n/a

8. yeah, my investment portfolio

9. There are sites like elance that have been around for awhile...... mostly cons imo, as you'll get people in India and China that will bid on jobs and charge 7 bucks and hour, and people that think they'll get logo designs for 50bucks, but I do know people that have got some quality work from there

hopefully that helped

Edited: 10/30/2014 at 06:20 AM by Plan B
 10/30/2014 07:07 AM

Sector9surf

^Thank you for the first survey response. That is actually very good to know. I'm trying to reach a larger market for the survey, if you know anyone else with a couple minutes please share this with them.

Also, if anyone knows a better way for me to get this survey out let me know. I'd like to get this survey out to college students also, but am having issues getting permission, even from my own school. Thanks again!

10/30/2014 07:19 AM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: Surfproducts.Com Social networking as done alot for everyone, along with your own personal website portfoilo. Alot in Da industry work is passed along with someone you know, and its hard to break into some feilds in Da industry. Unless you have a niche product you provide. You gotta make a better wheel!!

That's what I'm trying for. I was having trouble finding local freelance filmers and designers and realized that unless I'm looking for someone specific don't have a chance at finding them online, especially the amateur designers who are skilled enough to do similar work at lower prices. You can find professionals who are high priced and probably spend hours marketing themselves, which also partly why they are expensive. But who needs a Picasso when all you want is a simple drawing, design, or video editor.

Also, think about all the visual arts college students who would love the exposure and would rather be self employed than working a low paid job through a marketing firm. I could be wrong though.

10/30/2014 07:49 AM

Plan B

That's what I'm trying for. I was having trouble finding local freelance filmers and designers and realized that unless I'm looking for someone specific don't have a chance at finding them online

What kind of work are you looking for? and what do you cosider expensive / inexpensive?  There plenty of "professionals" out there like myself that operate low overhead, and charge reasonable rates vs a full service agency.  Both have their pluses and minuses, depends on your needs....bvut I've had many people with COMICAL expectations of what they expect to pay.

btw, I've had RANDOM people find me online (I dont do any social media btw).... I've done work for total strangers in Vegas and TX that contacted me

Also, think about all the visual arts college students who would love the exposure and would rather be self employed than working a low paid job through a marketing firm. I could be wrong though.

There definitely are, but for those peeps it would serve them best to work in a "professional" environment even for a short while..... an education way beyond what they learned in school......

10/30/2014 08:06 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

You can't swing a dead cat in the NE Fla surf community with out smacking a couple of dozen graphic arts/designers/ad types ...... right PlanB ;-)

-------------------------
"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 10/30/2014 08:40 AM

lawless

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

"Also, if anyone knows a better way for me to get this survey out let me know."

Google Adwords. Create text ads with different versions of your business and slogan. It forces you to get very concise with what the concept is (the 1 sentence identity your Coach mentions), then you can gauge reaction based on click-through rates. It's an easy way to spend a few hundred dollars and really validate and dial in concepts before executing them.

Put the survey on a Landing Page for the Adwords links. The conversion rate for people filling out the form will be low, but you can test multiple Ad variations (1 sentence Identity variations) and quickly hone in on the concept that has the most click-throughs and conversions.

This mentions GPS Tracking, but just replace that with your idea and the concepts are the same:
http://www.positionlogic.com/r...ss-idea-with-adwords/

http://fourhourworkweek.com/20...psumo-mint-chihuahuas/
 10/30/2014 10:24 AM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: Plan B

That's what I'm trying for. I was having trouble finding local freelance filmers and designers and realized that unless I'm looking for someone specific don't have a chance at finding them online

"What kind of work are you looking for? and what do you cosider expensive / inexpensive?  There plenty of "professionals" out there like myself that operate low overhead, and charge reasonable rates vs a full service agency." 

For a college student anything is expensive. I think most places or designers that were reliable charged $50/hr and up. However, working for a company these same people as far as I know are getting closer to $15/hr, of course you can't go to the company and say hey buddy, I'll pay your $25 for the same work. I have also found that searching classified and Craigslist gets you stuck with spam and non local marketing companies, but no down to earth local freelancers. If classified were different to where users found "local" designers based on location, price range, experience, and similar criteria it would be easier to find them and be beneficial to the low end and midrange or "amateur" designers and clients, but also might good for high end who want to hire freelancers directly and not spend a lot of time searching for and finding them.

Right now, I just want to get a sample online flyer photo that I found created into a layered PSD or Gimp template, so that I can easily change the text, pictures, and size anytime. I've seen templates for as little as $5 for a psd file. I've also messed with PSD before and know that it's not too difficult to add layers, etc... There is no actual drawing or logo creation involved. Although I did have a logo designed for $80 at one point and am not really sure if what I got was of $80 quality. I'm going to be honest though I'm kind of cheap so when I pay $100 for something I have an expection of kind of high quality, and more than drag and click work of knowing how to use a software. The reasoning is that if I have to put 8-10 hours of work into paying for it and could of done the same thing myself in the same amount of time, probably less, I'm not getting much value for it. Crazy cool graphic design on the otherhand is completely different as I have no artistic ability whatsoever.

Either way, that is a little bit unrelated so back to the main topic.

There definitely are, but for those peeps it would serve them best to work in a "professional" environment even for a short while..... an education way beyond what they learned in school.....

Back to the topic, if amateur and college students can gain exposure, while in college and make a little bit of $, not only will it help them get hired for firms but it would also make them more marketable as freelancers. Yes, I agree professional experience as an employee is great, but there are many who have choosen other routes or have trouble finding the employment they desired. After doing both, I can personally relate to wanting to be self employed over working for a company, which is not the right one.

Anyone else interested in doing the survey?

Edited: 10/30/2014 at 10:59 AM by Sector9surf
 10/30/2014 11:03 AM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: lawless "Also, if anyone knows a better way for me to get this survey out let me know." Google Adwords. Create text ads with different versions of your business and slogan. It forces you to get very concise with what the concept is (the 1 sentence identity your Coach mentions), then you can gauge reaction based on click-through rates. It's an easy way to spend a few hundred dollars and really validate and dial in concepts before executing them. Put the survey on a Landing Page for the Adwords links. The conversion rate for people filling out the form will be low, but you can test multiple Ad variations (1 sentence Identity variations) and quickly hone in on the concept that has the most click-throughs and conversions. This mentions GPS Tracking, but just replace that with your idea and the concepts are the same: http://www.positionlogic.com/r...ss-idea-with-adwords/ http://fourhourworkweek.com/20...psumo-mint-chihuahuas/

Great advice. Thanks!

10/30/2014 07:36 PM

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

A few more people might fill out the survey if it was an interactive survey. Us lazy surfer types don't want to keep scrolling up to look at your list of questions and then type the answers in down at the bottom of the page (shame on us ).

Take a look at SurveyMonkey. It's a goofy name but they have been the tried-and-true free survey site for a long time. It's pretty quick and easy to set up your survey, and then you can just post the link to it or send it to anyone you want.
 10/30/2014 08:00 PM

Mottyb

Joined Forum: 10/12/2010

I agree with sw, you'd get more results with a link to a Survey Monkey survey. It's free and pretty easy to set up.   I run a creative agency with 7 full time and about 12 part time/contract creative employees, and would be happy to talk to you further about your idea.  I love entrepreneurs and am glad to help.  PM me if you are interested.  

From my perspective and what I look for in creative talent is summed up entirely in one word.  Portfolio.   Not a lot else matters in getting to an interview and trial project.   That doesn't really answer your question about what service might fill the need in getting creatives and project owners to connect.   Right now I use Craigslist / Behance / and referrals to find new talent.  To be honest, once I find a couple of good artists, who actually want to work ,  I rarely move away from them.  

Your survey:

My idea/ identity is:

To provide a way for amateur and professional media designers to connect to clients and sponsors.

The research questions are:

1. Are you a filmer, graphic designer, photographer or other?

Agency Owner 

2. What level (beginner, amateur hobbyist, student, or professional)

Professional

3. How do you go about connecting with clients and building porfolios?

CL, web, and referrals. 

4. Are most customers new or returning and how many are from referrals?

returning and referrals

5. Do you find it a pain or have a tough time getting exposure?

it can be a pain finding new artists... 

6. Would you pay a commission or fee for this service?

maybe

7. If you are a business looking to hire, sponsor, or endorse how do you approach finding someone for these services? (reverse the above scenario)

see answers above

8. Are you interested in portfolio building?  - na

9. If this service is already out there online, what do you use and what are the pros and cons? 

eLance and some of the other "e"work sites are hard to sift through for a specific job, I prefer to build a long term relationship with the artist.  Although I have used eLance fairly succesfully for copywriting projects that were in a very specific niche. 

10/31/2014 05:58 AM

Plan B

yep, surveymonkey...... That was the site I was thinking of, but couldn't remember the name.

Easy to use, and update

10/31/2014 10:21 AM

Sector9surf

^Thanks, I will be working on it and repost once I have time.

10/31/2014 11:29 AM

Plan B

Originally posted by: LBLarry You can't swing a dead cat in the NE Fla surf community with out smacking a couple of dozen graphic arts/designers/ad types ...... right PlanB ;-)

yeah, probably third behind construction trades and bartending

11/03/2014 09:26 AM

Sector9surf

Please click on the link to take the survey. It's exactly the same as above. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NVVJK58

How can I imbedd?

Edited: 11/03/2014 at 09:33 AM by Sector9surf
 11/06/2014 12:48 PM

Sector9surf

Nope, didn't help. I have one survey monkey response so far. I would like to get at least 50. Maybe I ought to try posting it on Craigslist? Someone suggested using Google Adwords to get the traffic and website survey completed, which I guess will be doing next. I'm still trying the free routes right now. I tried UCF also, but unfortunately was told that only scholars doing PHD research are allowed to send out group emails for surveys.

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .