Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Gopro mount diy?
Topic Summary: looking for a cheap,versatile option
Created On: 09/30/2014 12:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/30/2014 12:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Has anyone tried a suction cup mount to atach a gopro on their board? I'm trying to make a removable pole mount to attach to the tail of a longboard or shortboard, but I dont want something that will be glued on or permanently attached. They sell one, but my thought is it would keep coming off, especially if a pole was attached, so I'm wondering if anyone has used one

I also saw that some DIY's have made backpacks/ vests with a pole attached off the back, which seems would give you some cool handsfree shots. Unfortunately most aren't tailored to surfing and Gopro doesn't really offer that sort of mount bundle either so it's hard to find or is not available. What So I need something that is waterproof, light, and won't soak up water. I'm thinking something similar to a wakeboarding life vest, but without the padding in the front. Then creating something which is rigid enough to attach the pole to and won't move might also be tricky. If someone wants to make one and sell it I would definitely buy one. Any ideas?

09/30/2014 01:14 PM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

A guy at the inlet made a mouth piece mount from the bottom half of a snorkel.
 09/30/2014 01:24 PM

nsbkook

Joined Forum: 12/07/2011

I would be wary of a suction cup mount. I had the first generation plastic surf mount that gopro sold, which I think is bigger, but thinner plastic than the current generation, but anyway, a big wave hit it so hard it ripped the mount right out of the base, and the gopro put a big hole in my board. Since then I've gone with having an fcs plug installed on the deck of my board. Much stronger and low profile when the go pro isnt mounted.
 09/30/2014 04:02 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

I don't know, something about face-planting in shallow water and getting ribs broken or fully impaled by that pole...
 09/30/2014 04:58 PM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: RegularJoe I don't know, something about face-planting in shallow water and getting ribs broken or fully impaled by that pole...

That could be pretty awful. It would probably be better for non impact activities, maybe river paddling, but you'd have to land directly on top of it or get rolled in shallow water. It'd be better if I could find something sturdy, but flexible like thick copper wire so it can flex and be bent back if you happen to fall on it. I already have an old wakeboarding pfd, so I just have to figure out what to use and how to attach it. 

Also if it's straight up at this angle it'd be harder to fall on, maybe?

GoPro Backpack Mount - Nick Rickert

http://www.jasonstone.tv/2010/10/backpack-gopro-mount/

I did find a version, which attaches to a belt harness, but it's super expensive. This mount idea seems to be used by kiteboarders and windsurfers so maybe someone at the local kiteboarding store will have some ideas.

09/30/2014 05:31 PM

Sector9surf

So, I can't find anything in production that's worth buying, but my idea is to get a couple of 3ft-4ft cuts of residential copper wire, slide them into the back of the PFD between the cloth and the foam and have it stitched in with a really thick cloth patch or straps and stitching for reinforcement. Then I will get a piece of flexible Pex Pipe to go over the wiring and glue an fcs/ Gopro mount on the end of the pipe. This way the pole will be ridgid enough to stay in position, but it will also be flexible enough to give me the option of adjusting it and, if I happen to fall and land on it, will bend out of the way.

What do you guys think???  The view point seems to work well for biking, snowboarding, and kite/ windsurfing. Will it work for surfing?

Edited: 09/30/2014 at 05:42 PM by Sector9surf
FORUMS : Surfing : Gopro mount diy?

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .