Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 4-6 weeks in Costa Rica (advice)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/16/2014 06:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/16/2014 06:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rstar

Joined Forum: 06/26/2008

Hey, I know Costa Rica threads are a dime a dozen here, but this is a little different. I'd love some advice about a trip I'm taking to CR with my 15 year old son this summer (June/July). I'm hoping to find lots of opportunities to speak Spanish- that's how I'm justifying the expense of the trip. My Spanish is pretty good and his is getting better.

I've surfed most of my life, but we've lived away from the ocean for the last few years, so he's basically a beginner. I don't mind just surfing with him the whole time. We'll also be fishing. I have friends in the Nosara area, but they may not be in country this summer.

Where would you stay and what would you do if you had 4-6 weeks to spend in Costa Rica? Bring boards or buy beaters? Fishing opportunities with or without boats?

On another note- I could also legally do Cuba for the same time span, but that seems like more of an unknown.

Thanks in advance!

-------------------------
Fortuna fortibus favet
 09/16/2014 06:53 AM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

bring your snook equipment, basically any river mouth holds snook,(disclaimer) watch for crocs

rent boards, much easier especially since your son is a beginner. $10.00 per day maybe less 

09/16/2014 05:07 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Cuba vs CR... hmmmm, let me think

PM me if you're interested in more info.  I've been spending a lot of time with my family on CR trips recently and I can definitely help with where to go and where not to go... a lot depends on your budget too.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 09/16/2014 06:01 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

I would visit the Southern Pacific to be around less gringos and more Spanish speakers. Uvita is great spot for beginners. Check out www.Uvita360.com as Tito is a local who does some cool community projects. Also if there is a little swell you can head down to Pavones, and maybe go when the size is under head high so there's less crowds. There are lots of local teenagers in town so your son could practice Spanish there, too.

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 09/17/2014 01:03 AM

SpinK

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I've been to Cuba twice. If you want surf in June/July, you are going in Cuba's most inconsistent season (although tradewind swell is possible, it's not usually great conditions). Your opportunity to learn spanish will be great, however. PM me if interested in more info.

09/17/2014 05:18 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Uvita is a nice place for beginners. I was there a couple months ago and the city is an emerging one. Facilities, and the beaches are beautiful (which costa rican beach ain't?)

Plus, dominical surf scene just to the North, and Pavones/Matapolo to the South.
 09/17/2014 06:52 AM

rowepsy1

Joined Forum: 04/24/2012

Located on the Nicoya Peninsula, Nosara is a beautiful, family-friendly coastal town with consistent waves in the summer. The waves there are also very forgiving, and a good place for beginners to learn. There are charter fishing boats available out of Garza, located just to the south. When big south swells rock the coast, smaller waves can be found a few miles south in Samara, where an outer reef diminishes inshore wave size.
On the central Pacific coast, the Esterillos-Bejuco area 20 minutes south of Jaco is nice - very consistent waves with a forgiving long board reef break at Esterillos Oeste. There are lots of estuaries in the area for fishing, and local fishermen will take you offshore in their Panga boats. Quepos, further south, is a fishing town with lots of charter boats, but I wouldn't stay there.
 09/17/2014 07:00 AM

thebourneidentity

Joined Forum: 09/03/2012

friends in nosara? stay in the guanacaste area. many many many breaks for all abilities

09/17/2014 07:17 AM

havanabama

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Cuba in July. No bueno. I've been to Cuba over 20 times and CR almost that many. CR por supresto. I know many beginning Ticos learn at the south end of Jacó beach. I even surf there when it's huge everywhere else, but I am a Guanacaste man. Playa Guiones is the no brainer spot. Stay at the Guilded Iguana. You will thank me after. Pura Mae.

Ah, religion, bigotry dressed up as morality.
 09/17/2014 07:19 AM

rowepsy1

Joined Forum: 04/24/2012

Send private message if you are interested in more information about the central Pacific coast, especially the Bejuco-Esterillos area, where I spend some time each year.
 09/18/2014 07:57 AM

rstar

Joined Forum: 06/26/2008

I will probably be sending a few private messages as the ticket purchase gets closer. I'm pretty psyched up about this opportunity.

Fortuna fortibus favet
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .