Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 2nd light mysterious spot to my eyes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/21/2014 11:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/21/2014 11:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mattbujor

Joined Forum: 11/08/2013

This is no troll, and everyone that trolls this will be ignored by me. 

Now stay with me for a second. When we have flat spells like this, nsb always has some last resort waves at the inlet. 

However cocoa is literally garbage when its flat. Kooks everywhere on the surf cam. Now what about 2nd light during a flat spell? 

Does it have the same "last resort semi fun" type waves as nsb or is it just dead flat too since it doesnt have the same characteristics as nsi?

and this is serious, so if you'd like to keep the popularity of the spot down just message me with a serious response, thanks everyone

And just to spice this up I am from orlando

-------------------------
 08/21/2014 11:38 AM

GsusSurfs

Joined Forum: 03/15/2011

I don't think there is any brevard spot that works when it's flat.   Perhaps on more rare occations a certain inlet, however the last time I made the drive down it was just as flat as my favorite rock-reef spot.  

Jesus invented surfing...
Matthew 14:22-33

www.facebook.com/churchonthebeach

08/21/2014 11:40 AM

mattbujor

thanks jesus, any particular inlets around cocoa that might be doable? 

08/21/2014 11:40 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Used to be true that if there was a wave anywhere in Brevard county, 2L would be rideable.
Not so much anymore

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 08/21/2014 11:43 AM

mattbujor

no way!! What do you think has affected it? The sand dredging and dumping?

08/21/2014 11:53 AM

Dylan

Joined Forum: 04/10/2004

I think it was affected by dumbass posts on 2ndlight.com.
 08/21/2014 11:54 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

A strong argument that nothing on the east coast rivals NSI for "ride able days per year" (and it is not nearly as consistent and the wave field is much more confined than it use to be). The Lighthouse groins at the OBX are close and even the Pier in Jax Bch is well above average ..... but NSI is an anomaly.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 08/21/2014 12:19 PM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

2ndL is typically a lil better of a summer spot than other spots, but this summer has been the

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 08/21/2014 01:05 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

NSI has a long jetty to channel in any swell and also does not have to contend with the Bahama Block on summer SE trade wind swells.

2ndlight is good due to that the bottom has less rocks than just South of it starting at the NCO club and into Satellite. The rocks need bigger swell to break over it, and/or just doesn't have good form on small SE swells. Sand bottom is better for small waves. Also, 2ndlight is just far enough South to not be in Cape Canaveral shadow, thus, any NE swell will be bigger than further North up into Cocoa Beach.

08/22/2014 05:08 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Back when the AF used to shoot down UFOs 

a big one crashed just outside PAFB front gate

and the subquantum mechanomagnetic field from the debris

still attracts waves.  And aliens from all over.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 08/22/2014 05:19 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Pits, it took me a minute.

2light has lost it's small wave mojo; there was a time when the Light would be almost as fun as NSB inlet, not any more. It all started to change when they covered the rocks on the beach years ago.

I was right.
 08/22/2014 08:12 AM

surfster79

Joined Forum: 08/16/2007

I did not know that Cocoa had any where to surf? Is there a secert break on the Indian River near down town Cocoa? Or did Merritt Island get washed away and the ocean now meets with Cocoa Village? I heard of Cocoa Beach but Cocoa is a City inland. Just saying

Life's a beach and then you surf!
 08/22/2014 08:42 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Originally posted by: surfster79 Is there a secert break on the Indian River near down town Cocoa?
it's not a secert anymore, since all the Bro-lando's have found it, butt - it's called Cocoa Puffs, and it's just west of 95.

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 08/22/2014 08:49 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

Originally posted by: Cole

Pits, it took me a minute.

2light has lost it's small wave mojo; there was a time when the Light would be almost as fun as NSB inlet, not any more. It all started to change when they covered the rocks on the beach years ago.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 08/22/2014 11:44 AM

Jack'

Joined Forum: 04/27/2005

We cant tell you anything since your from Orlando.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
 08/23/2014 09:23 AM

mattbujor

For the long time surfers that have lived along the coast for 10+ years, in which direction do you see our beaches heading? It seems like everyone has said that the waves were way better a few years back. Is it going to keep degrading?

08/23/2014 09:29 PM

andinoandino

Joined Forum: 12/12/2013

2nd light to jetty park breaks well when its small; CB pier has been firing bra 

08/24/2014 07:56 AM

DannyE

Joined Forum: 11/05/2010

Every surfer should do a little personal research and get educated. One part science, one part local knowledge and you are set.

Science is COOL!! NSB having waves has SO little to do with the jetty but has everything to do with its offshore bathymetry. There is a deep water canyon offshore of NSB that helps refract waves and focus them on the beach at the inlet. The jetty then compounds this by shaping the waves and perfecting the near shore sandbar that makes the inlets rippable wedges. But, as I said the real magic comes from the offshore canyon. Open ocean swell uses deep water canyons as a way of unimpeded travel to get from deep water all the way to the beach without being effected by lessening water depths. This creates a condtion known as "refraction". When swells move through water, they interact with the ocean floor. In the caynon, as one section of the swell is in deep water, the other rest of the swell is in more shallow water. The swell slows down in the shallow water due to friction created with the ocean floor. The swell in deeper water continues un-impeded and then bends, or "refracts", in to the deep water canyon and gets aimed at the beach. The canyon basically is a gun pointed at the beach shooting waves.

Other examples of this in Florida include Pensacola and Delray Beach. Both have offshore canyons that swell can travel through freely. In fact, in the winter time, South Florida experiences refraction swells on a very large scale, but oppostite to the NSB effect. As opposed to benefiting from the deep water, SFL actually benefits from the refracting effect of the shallow water. North swells move South through the deep Gulf Stream, and the tails of the swells interact with the shallow continetal shelf, slow down, and get turned in to SFL.

Long story short, there is nothing in the coast line around CFL that really has the same effects of a deep water canyon offshore. The coast is very ruler straight and un eventful as far as bathymetry is concerned. Best bets would be inlets like SBI or even Fort Pierce. But there are no magical spots like NSB around CFL . It comes down to local knowledge of current sandbar situations and a bit of luck. 

Good luck, hope you learned something from my post!

08/24/2014 09:15 AM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

Yes NSB is great at picking up crappy swells from the north. What happens when its 6 to 8ft and pumping?
 08/24/2014 09:24 AM

mattbujor

Originally posted by: DannyE  Every surfer should do a little personal research and get educated. One part science, one part local knowledge and you are set.

Science is COOL!! NSB having waves has SO little to do with the jetty but has everything to do with its offshore bathymetry. There is a deep water canyon offshore of NSB that helps refract waves and focus them on the beach at the inlet. The jetty then compounds this by shaping the waves and perfecting the near shore sandbar that makes the inlets rippable wedges. But, as I said the real magic comes from the offshore canyon. Open ocean swell uses deep water canyons as a way of unimpeded travel to get from deep water all the way to the beach without being effected by lessening water depths. This creates a condtion known as "refraction". When swells move through water, they interact with the ocean floor. In the caynon, as one section of the swell is in deep water, the other rest of the swell is in more shallow water. The swell slows down in the shallow water due to friction created with the ocean floor. The swell in deeper water continues un-impeded and then bends, or "refracts", in to the deep water canyon and gets aimed at the beach. The canyon basically is a gun pointed at the beach shooting waves.

Other examples of this in Florida include Pensacola and Delray Beach. Both have offshore canyons that swell can travel through freely. In fact, in the winter time, South Florida experiences refraction swells on a very large scale, but oppostite to the NSB effect. As opposed to benefiting from the deep water, SFL actually benefits from the refracting effect of the shallow water. North swells move South through the deep Gulf Stream, and the tails of the swells interact with the shallow continetal shelf, slow down, and get turned in to SFL.

Long story short, there is nothing in the coast line around CFL that really has the same effects of a deep water canyon offshore. The coast is very ruler straight and un eventful as far as bathymetry is concerned. Best bets would be inlets like SBI or even Fort Pierce. But there are no magical spots like NSB around CFL . It comes down to local knowledge of current sandbar situations and a bit of luck. 

Good luck, hope you learned something from my post!

And this is why I am very glad the internet exists. Yes, thank you for that! Ive always wondered what the logistics were of why nsb has such amazing waves compared to other spots. 

FORUMS : Surfing : 2nd light mysterious spot to my eyes

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .