Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Need a surf trip
Topic Summary: Feeling the need to bolt somewhere!
Created On: 07/28/2014 05:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/28/2014 05:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Coquina

Joined Forum: 06/05/2007

Well, I knew this day was coming but cant believe it did. My husband Bill finally passed away from pancreatic cancer on July 10th. I haven't been able to surf in what feels like forever so think I'm gonna take a trip to Hawaii (most likely). Can't stand to sit here and mope any longer. Just want to know if you guys think its cheaper to pay travel costs to take my own boards or rent one when I get there? Also wouldn't mind suggestions on where to stay since last time I went I paid for expensive hotels and would prefer a more peaceful stay this time. Never been to CR and don't want to go somewhere unknown on my own just yet. http://www.legacy.com/obituari...ary.aspx?pid=171775965
 07/28/2014 06:57 AM

GreazyGreg

Joined Forum: 09/09/2011

sorry for your loss

07/28/2014 07:31 AM

SurfAddict

Joined Forum: 09/17/2009

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Praying that God comforts you in this difficult time.

I think a surf trip sounds like an excellent idea.  As to your question, there are a lot variables to consider...how long you plan to be gone, specifically where you plan to travel, what airline you plan to use, how many boards you would consider bringing (some airlines charger per bag, some  per board), how partial you are to your own boards (I'm very partial to my OWN boards), the convenience factor of not having to travel with/ lug-around board bags (if you decide to rent), the convenience factor of not having "shop around" for a suitable quality rental (if you decide to bring your own boards), etc.

As opposed to renting, and depending on how long you plan to be gone, you might also consider buying a board at your destination and then selling (at a discount for a quick sale) before you return.

Hang-in there and best of luck on your surf trip!

-------------------------
Surfing is my passion...obsesssion... addiction! Can't imagine life without it!
 07/28/2014 07:31 AM

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

Definitely sorry for your loss. 

I would think that if you're just going to surf a few days, renting would be cheaper. Just don't forget that if you rent, then you're stuck riding whatever boards they happen to have available, and not 'your' boards. 

07/28/2014 07:50 AM

Coquina

Joined Forum: 06/05/2007

When I went to Bali four years ago I rented boards and I def regretted it. Was stuck riding crap sticks for ten days. Just thought Hawaii would have better rental options. Hoping to go for a week and stuff two boards into one bag.
 07/28/2014 08:31 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

When I buy a board I promise it that if it works well for me someday I'll take it to a place that has real waves. So travel cost is irrelevent- can't break a promise.

-------------------------
Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Edited: 07/28/2014 at 02:04 PM by daner
 07/28/2014 10:36 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Sorry for your loss.  If you are heading to HI it is 99% south shore stuff now.  I know a great retreat on the N Shore, $18 night with Tent camping or a few buck more for bungalow style.  It is on a nature preserve a place to reflect and wandered down uncrowned beaches, turtles, roosters, and chickens

PM me for info.

As a surfer though you will need to drive 1.5 hrs to the S. Shore for waves unless a micro pulse comes into the N. shore area.  In Honolulu I am partial to Marriott’s.  Courtyard is about 120 night plus parking.  Waikiki much more but a wonderful hotel right in the middle of the action. 

Board rentals are everywhere very reasonable (20 /day) with long, short, funbrd guns you name it.

If I was going to be alone with my thoughts and explore an island and get in some surf the N. Shore place would be my choice.  If you want to maximize surf time stay n town but be ready for extreme crowds everywhere, Town &. Country really rings true there