Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Shapers Under 30
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/25/2014 02:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/25/2014 02:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Arshia

Joined Forum: 07/23/2014

So I gathered that there are a ton of great shapers who paved Central Florida's way to shaping glory, but all these shapers seem to have been in the business for several decades. This made me curious, are there many shapers in Brevard ior Volusia to carry on the legacy into the next generations? I can't imagine they are better than the Greats, but surely there's potential?  Do these "Greats" take on apprentices and pass on the tricks of the trade, or will most younger shapers be self taught?

07/25/2014 04:25 PM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

that, and ...how do i decide which troll topic to repond 2?

-------------------------
Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 07/25/2014 04:47 PM

Arshia

Joined Forum: 07/23/2014

why do you think I'm trolling? my question's sincere...

07/25/2014 08:27 PM

Rippinryan247

Joined Forum: 04/17/2012

I'm 20 years old and started shaping when I was 18. I practically learned everything I know from swaylocks, youtube, and trial and error. When I first started, I contacted several local shapers and most of them didn't show interest or respond back to me. Kind of discouraging but I guess they have a job to do. I do have to say thanks to both Mike Daniel(Coil Surfboards) and Keith Sims (321 Surfboards) because they have been the only ones to offer me help even though I have yet to take them up on their offers (been busy and saving for supplies). I wish we could have shaping/glassing seminars here kinda like what surf source does up in Jax.

Go Gators
 07/26/2014 05:22 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

Is actually a good question. I 'know' several local shapers and no apprentices to be seen. It's a tight market I'm sure but they're all great guys. But you have to wonder how the next gen will even come about.

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
 07/28/2014 08:20 AM

twinfin62

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

When I was coming up, if you wanted to learn to shape, or do anything relating to building board, (other than getting the materials and going for it), was to hang at a shop, meet the guys from the factory, VOLUNTEER to sweep the floors and clean up the glassing room, learn how to do ding repair and what kind of coffee everyone likes. That's how you get in. Then, once you are in, you watch and watch and watch. Ask questions and enjoy the developing relationship. Not only will you learn to shape but you will learn every other aspect of building boards and you will meet great people along the way. Remember, shapers are artists and they are feeding their families with their craft.

Love God, Hate Sin...
FORUMS : Surfing : Shapers Under 30

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .