Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Coil technology?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/25/2014 01:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/25/2014 01:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Arshia

Joined Forum: 07/23/2014

Reading about shapers, one thing piqued my interest - coil surfboards. What is this coil technology? I tried searching but not much on the internet...was it developed by scientists and mainly used by Mike Daniel? Was it developed by Mike Daniel? What is it specifically and why does everyone seem to praise it? How much more expensive is it? Is it a "secret formula" type thing? Are there any plans for expansion, patenting the technology, or making it more mainstream - it seems like someone could monetize hugely through selling or patenting the technology if its a novel thing.

07/25/2014 03:55 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

good question i'm interested too and they don't tell you on the site... looks like smoke and mirrors or maybe it's CAD for the design plus at least some hand shaping instead of stamped out and "The Grid" looks like pure aesthetics no real function.  anyone...?

-------------------------
"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 07/25/2014 05:15 AM

mikedaniel

Joined Forum: 01/11/2012

Coil is Kirk and Eric Brasington, I just shape a few boards for them and handle most of the customer service.

There's a lot of info about us on the web, almost all provided by riders because we think their opinions mean a lot more than anything we could say about the boards. We haven't fully developed "our" website because we were so backed up for the past few years; no need to amplify demand to a level we couldn't fill. We're a small company.

Lots of proprietary processes etc. so there's not much tech info we'd put on a website anyway. Kirk and Eric started with a clean sheet of paper and threw out a lot of the "normal" ways of building surfboards. And they keep raising their own bar, which makes it really fun to work with them. 

07/25/2014 05:20 AM

Jose Cuervo

Joined Forum: 03/16/2006

07/25/2014 05:23 AM

CERTON

i understand trade secrets in a competitive business...   

props to you guys for having a unique product that riders like

#rydyrstrong
 07/25/2014 06:14 AM

bermysrfr

Joined Forum: 02/15/2012

Not sure what's in em but it works. My coil is four years old and still as bright white as when I bought it and has never been in the repair shop. Only heel dents and some pressure dents on the bottom. Still has the same flex also. Their boards have a lot of flex similar to a poly board. Think I paid six hundred for it. The link above is a good source of info, that's how I found out about them. Mike if my kids ever stop bleeding my wallet dry I'm gunna hit you up for another board. 

07/25/2014 06:43 AM

shapewright

Joined Forum: 07/18/2010

you have to think if they are selling boards to Californians, there must be more to it than the so called smoke and mirrors. The glassing techniques are where the real difference starts, that combined with Mike's shaping, offers a unique surfboard, in January after the expo, I talked with Mike and told him I'd like him to build a board for me

07/25/2014 07:33 AM

CERTON

i found some images online that peaked my interest so i've emailed coil using the contact info from the site to get started on shaping a new high performance model to use in those FL cyclone swells (c'mon baby) and surf trips.

thx to 2ndlighters for introduction to coil they def have something unique i'm going to try out.

kick6

kick9

#rydyrstrong
 07/25/2014 08:42 AM

sattylife

Joined Forum: 09/18/2012

Originally posted by: shapewright you have to think if they are selling boards to Californians, there must be more to it than the so called smoke and mirrors. The glassing techniques are where the real difference starts, that combined with Mike's shaping, offers a unique surfboard, in January after the expo, I talked with Mike and told him I'd like him to build a board for me

Wait, your mentality is because Californians are buying them they have to be good?

07/25/2014 08:50 AM

jeff kennedy

Joined Forum: 09/30/2004

Originally posted by: sattylife
Originally posted by: shapewright you have to think if they are selling boards to Californians, there must be more to it than the so called smoke and mirrors. The glassing techniques are where the real difference starts, that combined with Mike's shaping, offers a unique surfboard, in January after the expo, I talked with Mike and told him I'd like him to build a board for me

Wait, your mentality is because Californians are buying them they have to be good?

No but, If Jim Phillips (shapewright) says they are good then yeah probably so.

www.happyponysurf.com
 07/25/2014 09:11 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Originally posted by: sattylife Wait, your mentality is because Californians are buying them they have to be good?

No but, If Jim Phillips (shapewright) says they are good then yeah probably so.
>> 5/5

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 07/25/2014 09:57 AM

tastywaves

Joined Forum: 11/14/2009

They don't call it Alien Technology for nothin.. 

07/25/2014 02:21 PM

foam ball

Joined Forum: 06/01/2005

Been riding them from the start, back when Mike was still shaping for wrv. They are the real deal. Some of my boards are getting ancient by shortboard standards, they are still bright white and go like they did on day 1. You won't need a new board out of necessity every 6 months. After a few years you eventually want to try a different shape out of boredom. Mike is a great shaper and the lam process is definitely very different. If Jim Phillips is backing them that should tell you something.
 07/26/2014 09:49 AM

sfla

Joined Forum: 01/05/2014

Contact Mike and he will make you a great,long lasting board.

07/27/2014 07:52 AM

shapewright

Joined Forum: 07/18/2010

the east coast since the introduction to surfing and surfboard building has been looked upon as, no surf, surfers years behind "Cali", unabled to build a surfboard anywhere comparable to a west coast board.

But over the many years, Brevard has stood out as a test ground to world champion surfers, construction techniques, especially styro and epoxies, lead very early on by Greg Lohre and his crew. Now the Brasingtons have picked up the ball and moved to a new direction of construction.

So on my comment of even Californians buying them, yes they are above the bar and have drawn notice from elsewhere than Florida and the east coast

07/27/2014 08:31 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Also, cork decks from St. Augustine.  They've shown up on Neilson and Lost.

07/27/2014 09:38 AM

surfersensei

Joined Forum: 12/02/2003

I have been saying for years to anyone that will listen, Brevard county has and continues to produce some of the most advanced surfboards in the world.
 07/27/2014 11:16 AM

sattylife

Joined Forum: 09/18/2012

Originally posted by: shapewright the east coast since the introduction to surfing and surfboard building has been looked upon as, no surf, surfers years behind "Cali", unabled to build a surfboard anywhere comparable to a west coast board.

But over the many years, Brevard has stood out as a test ground to world champion surfers, construction techniques, especially styro and epoxies, lead very early on by Greg Lohre and his crew. Now the Brasingtons have picked up the ball and moved to a new direction of construction.

So on my comment of even Californians buying them, yes they are above the bar and have drawn notice from elsewhere than Florida and the east coast

i see. its cool that they have generated a buzz beyond florida. i owned one for a while and it was a great board, just too big for me. i wish they sold some around here, because the custom turnaround seems to be quite a while.

07/28/2014 03:36 PM

water

Joined Forum: 02/14/2010

I ordered on a couple weeks ago just based on the online reviews.  I have never seen one in person. 

07/29/2014 12:38 PM

CERTON

MD responded to my email inquiry next day...

cost = $600 with $100 deposit to start
time = ~6 week turnaround 

#rydyrstrong
FORUMS : Surfing : Coil technology?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .