Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Orlando
Topic Summary: can we the citizens of cape canaveral legally secede from the state of florida?
Created On: 07/18/2014 08:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/23/2014 02:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnny

Joined Forum: 12/31/2004

Uh oh - I dont know what bdm means
Urban dictionary has too many entries
 07/23/2014 02:28 PM

big rick

Joined Forum: 02/20/2005

it all has to do with being a millionaire buddy

-------------------------
hey, i don't know if you read this yet ----------> I <3 16streets.com

thank you Sean O'hare

Delicious beer comes from here
 07/23/2014 03:21 PM

Northjetty101

Joined Forum: 08/20/2010

Originally posted by: big rick

well, that was my original post.

why make the thread?

and on top of that, why make the thread and try to call out

the people that respect the ocean and the surfers as much

as you do?

it makes no sense.

'HEY! ALL OF YOU THAT ARE EQUALLY AS RESPECTFUL OF ONE

ANOTHER AND THE OCEAN, SCREW YOU BECAUSE YOU LIVE

MORE THAN A QUARTER MILE AWAY FROM THE OCEAN!'

all that shit talking if for the social media sites and not for

a place like this.

like i said, just don't be a dick and be mindful of others and

you've got yourself a wonderful day of surfing and sharing

laughs with random people.

Johnny, you going to the BDM meet up before the BDM meet up?

I'm gonna bring a few rare beers from my cellar (which is really my

closet but closed [IMG][/IMG] ) and share at johnnys fillin station. [IMG][/IMG]

I'll quote this post because our other line was getting too long.

I think that you're one of those guys who are in Orlando, but not of Orlando as I was for the 4 years I lived there. And I think you've mistaken my suggestion of asking as groveling or begging to try and get a surf in. No, I'm talking about a courteous gesture. You're gonna surf any ways of course, but if you present yourself as a nice guy not trying to get in their way they're not going to hate on you right of the mark.

I am speaking to a certain stereotype of inlander's who will show up and go right out to the first peak and paddle battle local people with a cocky look in their as if they belong there and it's there god given right to rub shoulders with the people who surf that spot all the time. This probably isn't you, Big Rick. But it is certainly an Orlando type that often crowd out Smyrna, Ponce, the Inlet, and the popular Brevard beaches.

If Orlando by and large had a reputation for being courteous and polite visitors then people wouldn't be posting hate threads to begin with. The reputation exists for a reason. You Big Rick sound like the exception, not the rule.

This thread is aimed at the assholes, not the reasonable guys driving over.

Right?

Edited: 07/23/2014 at 05:46 PM by Northjetty101
 07/23/2014 05:01 PM

big rick

yeah, i'm sure of it
but check this... when people post that in here, it's not going to make
a difference but it's going to fuel a damn fire cause you're just making
everyone else upset and starting a battle with your 'friends' for no reason

i'm sure there are people that think that being agro and a surfer at the
same time is cool or the way you're supposed to surf

but it's obviously not.

there are people that are beach side that think being that way is cool too
when they surf all the time at the same spot and cause they're locals

and that's a shame cause you're really feeding into a negative stereotype

so.... lets all shame the next dude that post an anti orlando thread

cause THAT would be bloody hysterical
and lets totally mess with them

by the way... i REALLY wanna see a shark eat a pelican out of the water with
it's beak sticking straight up and wings the sides of it's mouth

is that a bad thing?

thank you Sean O'hare

07/23/2014 06:08 PM

Northjetty101

Big Rick, you're just trying to make a point to local assholes and I'm simply trying to make a point to non-local assholes. I think it's safe to say that both parties ought to stand corrected.

I guess I agree to agree?
 07/23/2014 10:42 PM

big rick

Yep
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to watch a
shark eat a pelican whilst I drink this fine beer
Cigar city Hunahpu imperial Stout

thank you Sean O'hare

07/24/2014 09:37 AM

Skeeter

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Big Rick, tiger sharks eat albatrosses all the time. Check youtube. I hope that satisfies your fetish.

07/24/2014 10:10 AM

ootrucstopoo

Joined Forum: 01/09/2006

this forum is littered with kooks....everyone knows from cocoa beach to sebastian is one big mushy closeout.....keep your pathetic "secret" spots like the pier,2nd light and RCs.....maybe start a post about transitioning from longboarding to shortboarding lol....you guys are so funny
 07/24/2014 10:27 AM

IHBlocdogg

Joined Forum: 06/08/2010

We live in florida and take surfing waist high waves 300 days out of the year and some how we take this serious.Get real.Were all kooks at that point.People are so funny how serious they take this local vs non local shit.Just go surf and shut up.Its overhead less than 15 days a year and when it is ,it's usaully blown out,there's no real surf compared to rest of surfing world.

Learn to read a buoy and check your winds and tides!!!

07/24/2014 11:32 AM

Kinwesurfnow

Joined Forum: 09/30/2003

no tiempo to read this, but there hasn't been a day in perhaps over a thousand days when Cape Canaveral was the call... You probably invade the shorelines of other municipalities frequently, don't you?

There's no surf on Wall Street!
One man's loss is another man's gold...Operating principal behind Wall Street, and sadly, to a large extent, America
 07/24/2014 12:21 PM

surfersince65

Joined Forum: 03/29/2008

All of this reminds me of why I surf alone.  I will say it is frustrating when I am out on Sunday morning all by myself and two guys come over the boardwalk with a mile in either direction of me empty and they paddle out right next to me.  I think WTF so I paddles down the beach and don't care where they are from, that still sucks.  I still had fun though.

JMA

07/24/2014 12:25 PM

OTownSurf

Joined Forum: 11/03/2011

For what it's worth, I hit the light yesterday (up at 5 AM, in the water by 7:30) and had the joint glassy and to myself until about 9. Even then there were not THAT many people in the water. Confusing since this is "the spot" for most and there were fun waves to be had up until I bailed at noon. Guess the locals were either at a better spot or didn't wanna blow off work for waist to waist plus waves. Either way, the "my spot mentality" has never been an issue I've seen anywhere but the inlet(s) so let the VERY few people on here complain about Orlando as long as it stays here. 

Rick, I got too much goin on Saturday to hit the meetup but BDM since day one. We def need to hook up and invade some spots  

Waves, anyone?

07/24/2014 01:08 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: SgtHulk i drive in from tampa to do a "property check" then surf   you mad

Me too. Pm me.

I :heart; Q
 07/24/2014 01:21 PM

nightkro

Joined Forum: 09/18/2009

know how i know your gay?

07/24/2014 08:59 PM

Northjetty101

Originally posted by: IHBlocdogg

We live in Florida and take surfing waist high waves 300 days out of the year and some how we take this serious.Get real.Were all kooks at that point.People are so funny how serious they take this local vs non local shit.Just go surf and shut up.Its overhead less than 15 days a year and when it is ,it's usaully blown out,there's no real surf compared to rest of surfing world.

I get what you're saying about not taking things too serious, but you're on your own with the "we're all kooks" thing.

I'm not, are you?

These types of appeal to wave size logical fallacies are common. I suppose people don't realize they're making them unless some one points it out. I already said that an appeal to wave size is a distraction fallacy. We have a lot of people who are doing the same moves that everyone else in the world is doing on the waves that we get here. I've seen guys on the Gulf coast pulling off the same airs the everyone else is doing. They do it here, they do it when they travel. I'd like to see you convince these people they're Florida kooks.

It fluctuates between flat to outrageous everywhere in the world, of course. And yet people take surfing serious where ever you go in the world even though they have waist to chest high days just like we do. You think the Hawaiians are going to become unserious just because it's smaller one day than another? Not give a shit that you blatantly snaked one of theirs on a wave because it was a certain sized wave? Or the Aussies? Or the Brazilians? Or the Californians?

When I was at Malibu that first time in 89', I watched people get fist to the face beaten up at the head of the point on a waist to chest day in mid July. I wasn't expecting that at what I thought would be a laid back, long board, much smaller day than it was at Zuma beach up the road. Over head there, waist to chest just down the road. And yet fist were flying at the small break.

That's the time that I was so polite and told them straight away that I was visiting from Florida. At Topanga I remember watching some asshole snake the guy who had priority and then it blew up into chaos right there in the water. At a long board break on waist to chest high in California! I guess they didn't get the memo on not taking it serious.

As a skinny teenage kid, I stayed down the peak and took left overs that people pulled out on. The locals who I was sitting close to told me about how most Floridians are usually assholes and come out there showing no respect and how they usually aren't very fond of us. They complimented me for showing the right respect and not acting like the stereotype. They let me get in there and get some waves. But I sure as hell made sure that no one was coming down the line before I paddled in. I knew what would happen if I didn't pay attention to the peak. Kids these days don't quite understand those types of harsh consequences because they seldom eye witness things like that happening.

Another thing I witnessed at an early age in California: The San Fernando Valley is the LA county beaches version of our Orlando.

They don't like Valley kooks paddling out.

And when I went to Galveston Texas I noticed that there was a type of stand offish attitude towards the Huston city boys that crowd them out.

And in Ft. Pierce you have Okeechobee and Arcadia travelers that will get called out at times along with any one from Palm Beach to Miami that gets too far out of line. Although that's settled down a lot of the last decade.

In St. Auggie you have the Palatka and Gainsville travelers and also up at Jacksonville who add to their line up. I've heard guys bitching about that.

And in the Panhandle you have people from Tallahassee and Georgia filtering down. When I paddled out at Destin on a Hurricane swell I was asked if I came down from Georgia or Tallahassee. I told them I came from Cocoa Beach and that seemed to go over better for some reason. They struck up conversation about how they like to come visit the east coast. But they had nothing good to say about Tallahassee and Georgia invaders.

Pretty much any where you go in the world you will find beach locals and then city or some other country inland folk that frequent the beaches. And in every location you'll find beach locals that have learned to despise the over crowding on weekends or whatever the case may be. And a derogatory slur will evolve in response to the inlander's overcrowding which ever beach it is.

The deeper issue is whether it's right or wrong, but rest assured the bias's do exist pretty much any where there's surf. The very term "Barney," as you may or may not know, originated as a term for inland country folk heading out to the beach. It means not a good surfer nowadays but in the original sense it was calling some one from inland, not a good surfer.

I've conceded to Big Rick that it's probably not right to hate on Orlando. Looking at the bigger picture it's probably not right for LA county guys to hate the Valley either. Or the Panhandle guys to hate on Tallahassee and Georgia. Or the Jetty crew to hate on South Florida.

But it's also not right to have the sort of side show circus acts that do occur when way too many people travel in from afar and crowd out a spot. And the visiting people show no courtesy whether the waves are big or small.

One of these two problems shouldn't be allowed to silence the other.....

Edited: 07/24/2014 at 10:00 PM by Northjetty101
 07/24/2014 10:49 PM

IHBlocdogg

Joined Forum: 06/08/2010

I hear what your saying in all those words but it all comes down to RESPECT.I live in between to two most popular spots Ponce and Symrna my only grip is kids that come over for the day and sit on main peak and expect to get every wave when they have no clue of the line up and drop in half way during your ride.But it's the INLETS and getting cut off and cutting others off is part of surfing around here not that it's right but it happens from time to time and most of the time there is a "my bad" at the end of it.You don't take it personal.During the week when out of towners aren't around it is a lot more mellow and you see the same faces out daily at the correct tides.But every where you go there is a conflict with others,myself have had no problems because I put my head down and shut up and let my surfing do the talking.I have surfed all over the world and this country and that drama isn't there and really isn't a mindset.There is plenty of kooks anywhere and they can be your so called local too!!Its surfing and the waves are not serious to where the wave is gonna hurt you.And this message board is for mostly brevard county where if you are around "Orlando guys" then paddle your happy ass down the beach because it's not a reef or jetty ,it's 90% Beachbreaks?Too much thinking into something so retarded ,a JUST SURF you spoiled brat!!Yours truly,The kook!!

Learn to read a buoy and check your winds and tides!!!

07/25/2014 12:22 AM

Northjetty101

I'm surprised that you're so casual about the crowds. Most guys up that way despise Orlando because of the regular beach rapings that go down every weekend. It's always been like that for decades though. Hey, good on you if you're not bothered by it.

Edited: 07/25/2014 at 02:36 PM by Northjetty101
 07/25/2014 02:45 AM

Burry

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

i surf alone... i surf alone... and when i surf alone...i prefer to be by myself...

gota be a song in there somewhere!

BurrysBreak

Inflation caused The BIG BANG...look it up!
 07/25/2014 07:16 AM

consultrelkins@hotmail.com

Joined Forum: 11/17/2006

....................................I am actually from Tennessee but grew up in Orlando. I am in one of the bands that plays Neptune. Come by for a friendly handshake and some good vibes. My band plays tonight Fri 7/25 9:00 to 12:30 ish. I usually surf a secret spot south of Neptune between 5min and 20min no can tell. I have never seen a crowd even on the 4th of July or Labor day and have never seen bad vibes there in over 35 years. Respect and good vibes are the key. Funny thing is I have run into people like, Marty at Ft Pierce, Wavecaster at Clark St, Slater at Salt Creek, Gorkin at St Andrews, Freeman at Stuart and almost everybody on this site at Venice, White Ave and Sandkey. Never a bad vibe with the exception of the Piers and Inlets. Which is to be expected. I actually prefer the teasing from being an Oville to being left out of the pack or run out of the pack. LOL Plus I rip and am a hulk of a man which makes it easier too.
 07/25/2014 02:48 PM

Northjetty101

Do you guys play the surf classic, "Get Off My Wave"?

(palm muted single chord distortion)

We all grew up around here,
No one knows who the hell you are,
So get your asses in gear,
And get off my wave!
Get off my wave......

Any one remember that old school song? It was on a surf video years ago and that's the only thing I remember from it. I'm kinda fuzzy on it but I think young Fletcher, Potz, and pretty all who were considered radical at the time. Would that be wave warriors?

Let's not forget, "go back to the valley man!"

And "cause that would be a waste of time."

Edited: 07/25/2014 at 03:10 PM by Northjetty101
FORUMS : Surfing : Orlando

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .