Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Changes for the Pier
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/12/2014 02:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/13/2014 10:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

steve

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Both of those companies are not stellar at all. The focus is 100% on the bottom line and they could care less about the hospitality side. Even the perks to the employees are weak so the current employees will not gain anything if they are kept on. Think about it...you only have "X" amount of days of the year to sell with "Y" amount of units. You can't keep on a course of "Another ground breaking year of sales" forever. Your only choice is to start a constant search for properties to buy out. If not...you are back to being a hotel.

-------------------------
My parents went to Cocoa Beach and all I got was this lousy surfboard!
 04/13/2014 10:36 AM

IHBlocdogg

Joined Forum: 06/08/2010

People surf the pier?

Learn to read a buoy and check your winds and tides!!!

04/13/2014 10:48 AM

FatSUPr

Joined Forum: 05/26/2011

Originally posted by: JBSURF Time Share owners??? I know I just vomited in my mouth.... In other words, Here comes Disney,,,,,, totally sucks if you ask me... Same BS going on all over town, from the Port to DownTown isgust; If you dont like the look and feel of the well worn, laidback, weathered Cocoa Beach, there`s the door,,,,, If it makes you uncomfortable, youre not meant to call it home... Just sayin`

Couldn't have said it any better. 

04/13/2014 02:10 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Originally posted by: IHBlocdogg People surf the pier?

It's puzzling isn't it. I think it has something to do with the lemming effect.

04/13/2014 02:20 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Originally posted by: FatSUPr
Originally posted by: JBSURF Time Share owners??? I know I just vomited in my mouth.... In other words, Here comes Disney,,,,,, totally sucks if you ask me... Same BS going on all over town, from the Port to DownTown [IMG][/IMG]isgust; If you dont like the look and feel of the well worn, laidback, weathered Cocoa Beach, there`s the door,,,,, If it makes you uncomfortable, youre not meant to call it home... Just sayin` [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Can't fight progress. It's going to happen eventually no matter what so might as well embrace it or make a bunch of $ and move to place that it hasn't happened at yet and hopefully you can get another 20 years of uncrowded surf and nice laidback people.

I live here for the same reason; I can't stand traffic, pollution, and crowds but every beachtown is potentially just another place which someone wants to turn into another Miami. My wifes family is originally from Jupiter, which they also said used to be relatively inexpensive and small like Cocoa Beach, but after about 20years ended up getting too crowded and expensive to live so they moved inland to avoid the big city mentality. Same thing happening here?

04/13/2014 03:09 PM

johnny

Joined Forum: 12/31/2004

Originally posted by: Sector9surf

Originally posted by: FatSUPr
Originally posted by: JBSURF Time Share owners??? I know I just vomited in my mouth.... In other words, Here comes Disney,,,,,, totally sucks if you ask me... Same BS going on all over town, from the Port to DownTown [IMG][/IMG]isgust; If you dont like the look and feel of the well worn, laidback, weathered Cocoa Beach, there`s the door,,,,, If it makes you uncomfortable, youre not meant to call it home... Just sayin` [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Can't fight progress. It's going to happen eventually no matter what so might as well embrace it or make a bunch of $ and move to place that it hasn't happened at yet and hopefully you can get another 20 years of uncrowded surf and nice laidback people.

I live here for the same reason; I can't stand traffic, pollution, and crowds but every beachtown is potentially just another place which someone wants to turn into another Miami. My wifes family is originally from Jupiter, which they also said used to be relatively inexpensive and small like Cocoa Beach, but after about 20years ended up getting too crowded and expensive to live so they moved inland to avoid the big city mentality. Same thing happening here?

Yes, my family has been moving continually more north starting from Miami. It will happen here especially due to orlando, just a matter of when. Not too sure where we can go next though.
 04/13/2014 05:30 PM

TONYlookaround

Joined Forum: 08/29/2004

How will the drug tests work after Florida legalizes it this fall ? 

it's never too late to have a happy childhood...

04/14/2014 03:14 PM

surf4fun

Joined Forum: 06/23/2004

Originally posted by: TONYlookaround How will the drug tests work after Florida legalizes it this fall ? 

Not legalized in Florida. Approved for medical uses. Still a reason to fire you. Even in Colorado your job can fire you for weed. The war on drugs and mando drug testing is wrong on so many levels.

No surfing within 200' of the pier, The CBPD does not have the capability to enforce that kind of rule. There was a sign in the past that everyone ignored.
 04/15/2014 09:50 AM

Jepp

Joined Forum: 03/03/2014

If they drug test they aint gonna be able to find enough employees inthat area

04/15/2014 11:54 AM

peterg

Joined Forum: 10/12/2006

as little as i like posting on here, i sort of find it incumbent to remind all and sundry that:

1. the pier actually owns only the land, not the ocean.

2. the pier leases the underwater land beneath the pier (28' wide and the length of the pier, approximately) from the state.

3. cocoa beach city ordinance mandates a surfing only area of at least 75' or more...at the discretion of the lifeguards... from the pier itself, either north or south of the pier.

so, unless someone has greased the state to lease more underwater acreage to the pier, or the cocoa beach city ordinance has been rescinded or modified, then, the ownership of the pier itself is a moot issue as far as surfing is concerned.

04/16/2014 09:40 AM

gtate4200

Joined Forum: 03/12/2011

I don't mean this as harsh as it may sound but the rules say (with some exceptions) you get to buy what you want if you have the money. It is a good rule and better than the rules in say, Venezula that allows a favorite person of the government to just come take what you have and pay you essentially nothing. 

Our rules aren't perfect and it is fun to talk about getting even with the man, but I'll bet no one around here would be happy with the alternative. 

Now young man, you just march yourself upstairs to your room and wait until your father gets home. Ha. 

04/16/2014 09:42 AM

gtate4200

Joined Forum: 03/12/2011

I don't mean this as harsh as it may sound but the rules say (with some exceptions) you get to buy what you want if you have the money. It is a good rule and better than the rules in say, Venezula that allows a favorite person of the government to just come take what you have and pay you essentially nothing. 

Our rules aren't perfect and it is fun to talk about getting even with the man, but I'll bet no one around here would be happy with the alternative. 

Now young man, you just march yourself upstairs to your room and wait until your father gets home. Ha. 

04/16/2014 10:19 AM

FatSUPr

Joined Forum: 05/26/2011

Originally posted by: peterg as little as i like posting on here, i sort of find it incumbent to remind all and sundry that: 1. the pier actually owns only the land, not the ocean. 2. the pier leases the underwater land beneath the pier (28' wide and the length of the pier, approximately) from the state. 3. cocoa beach city ordinance mandates a surfing only area of at least 75' or more...at the discretion of the lifeguards... from the pier itself, either north or south of the pier. so, unless someone has greased the state to lease more underwater acreage to the pier, or the cocoa beach city ordinance has been rescinded or modified, then, the ownership of the pier itself is a moot issue as far as surfing is concerned.

Yeah, I've seen signs there that stated something along the lines of "No swimming area, surfing only" haha 

04/16/2014 10:58 AM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

In early April of 2006 when Lifeguards were assigned to both sides of the Pier... their first action was to ban surfing within 200ft of the pier on both sides.

On April 11th, I with the help of Tony Sasso (CB Commissioner) convinced lifeguard supervisors to allow surfing close to the pier and to instead ban swimming in that zone. Hence, the NO SWIMMING signs you still see today.

County Lifeguards agreed that surfers are not in danger by surfing close to the pier and that surfers are many times first responders in pulling clueless swimmers out from under the pier. They also agreed that swimming close to the pier is unsafe for swimmers. It was also agreed that the Pier, City and County have no right to limit surfing activity there... and that it would be impossible to enforce, if surfing was banned.

The only concession made was that surfers must wear a leash from 10am - 5pm only to protect swimmers from loose boards.

... positioning and selection
 04/16/2014 07:09 PM

big rick

Joined Forum: 02/20/2005

which makes sense

so what i have read a few times is, if you don't like it, leave, CCB isn't for you

yeah, i understand that.

but the bottom line is, money.

if the city and the county and especially the pie-r aren't making moneys, then
guess what, all of you that moved cause your previous city was getting too big
are now moving to a different place cause you're laid off from your job due to
a down economy from cocoa beach looking like shit.
(that's a long term, city makes no moneys scenario)

what sucks about progress?
things that used to be, are changed.

you know what's great about progress?
there is a revamp on parts of the city that need it.
buildings get a face lift, sidewalks get fixed, roads get worked on, the roadsides
get new plants, trees, palms, and so on and so forth.

orlando is going through that right now... cleaning up a lot of everything because
we are trying to not have an orlando that is run by a mouse in a different county.

cocoa beach doesn't even get looked at by a mass majority of the tourist that come
through our streets.

what's starting to happen around the interwebs, and being published in the big time
magazines and world wide publications, is that orlando is getting the, 'if you don't
want to go see some bullshit, out of touch with reality mouse, here are all of the
even better than some theme park, things to do.

that right there is what cocoa beach is looking to do.... my favourite place to go,
support, and possibly live in further down the line, probably needs the face lift
here and there. first place they are going to start is with an attraction, the pie-r.

who knows what's next?

maybe it's the proposed fishing pie-r that is going to be at the end of minuteman
causeway within the next X amount of years.

for what it's worth, maybe that's another reason the pie-r was sold.

because of competition.

who knows?

hopefully, what happens is that more people are able to open up cool shops, stores,
and some bad ass restaurants and that area gets a spike in revenue and it creates
a domino effect through out the surrounding areas.

hopefully cocoa beach twinkles in the eyes of news report sites like usa today and a
lot of those similar sites so there is nothing but progress.

/rant

hey, i don't know if you read this yet ----------> I <3 16streets.com

thank you Sean O'hare

Delicious beer comes from here
 04/16/2014 07:40 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I follow tourism a bit by occasionally checking TripAdvisor's forums for Orlando and the Atlantic coast.  

The Mouse is an enormous big deal, Universal a bit less so.  The Orlando forum gets lots of British visitors who want to use their long vacations to soak up some sun at a decent resort.  Most Orlando visitors who want to visit a beach seem to get directed to Clearwater Beach, or perhaps Fort DeSoto or something like Siesta Key.  Cocoa Beach regularly gets called "rundown" and "dirty".  

Once in a while, someone wants to see birds, or manatees, or even learn how to surf.  

One of the most interesting was from a couple who were determined to get around without a car, and didn't like taxis.  They wanted to take a bus to the motel next door to the former Neilson surf shop.  Someone confirmed that the bus stop sign that shows up on Google Street View is actually there.  

Cocoa Beach has always had a problem with the way it looks, at least in the eyes of tourists.  The efforts to spruce up and partly redevelop the downtown area look promising, from what I've seen.  

04/16/2014 08:46 PM

vonnricc

Joined Forum: 05/03/2013

gay 4200 and WW you guys obviously are not locals that surf the pier and definitely not friends to Cocoa Beach.so glad that your opinion doesn't count at the council meeting and so glad I will feel no shame in cutting you off for putting my fins in your board since you don't pay taxes here!!! when you can evaluate and give us an opinion on local knowledge then you can spout if not shut then f*** up!!!! Westin resorts Vladimir Putin nor P Diddy is going to stop us from surfing in and out of the pier I can promise you and Westgate resort that it's gonna get worse before it gets !!!! CC rats unite.I'm going to have a local luau to talk about this I'm going to be serving barbecued 90 pound water turkey!!! don't kid yourself we will all still be surfing the pier!!!! and sector 9 and WWy'all should be back to Orlando where you belong!!!! the real "Colonel"has spoken !!!!!

if i'd have known i was gonna live this long,... i'd have treated myself better!! i still got shacked off my nadz!!!!
 04/16/2014 09:16 PM

vonnricc

and sector 9 go back to South Beach or shut the f*** up

if i'd have known i was gonna live this long,... i'd have treated myself better!! i still got shacked off my nadz!!!!
 04/16/2014 09:33 PM

big rick

Joined Forum: 02/20/2005

you realize that WW lives beach side, right?

and as much as i'm sure that you have the greatest intentions to
protect your spot, maybe you should read bob freemans' post:

"In early April of 2006 when Lifeguards were assigned to both sides
of the Pier... their first action was to ban surfing within 200ft of the
pier on both sides.

On April 11th, I with the help of Tony Sasso (CB Commissioner)
convinced lifeguard supervisors to allow surfing close to the pier
and to instead ban swimming in that zone. Hence, the NO SWIMMING
signs you still see today."

thanks for reading

hey, i don't know if you read this yet ----------> I <3 16streets.com

thank you Sean O'hare

Delicious beer comes from here
 04/16/2014 09:52 PM

vonnricc

I read bobs past and its all good Bob went to highschool with my dad I grew up serving the pier with his son that's how deep my roots are and how I roll f*** WWF gayy 420 and sector 9 ain't one of them ever bled on a barnacle the pier or earn their stripes to even park there you know me wreck I'll say what I want when I want and I deserve to that's why I am the original be only and the real Colonel ain't nobody gonna keep me from surfng the pier when I want to ever or it will be war r

FORUMS : Surfing : Changes for the Pier

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .