Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Canoe surfing.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/31/2017 11:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/31/2017 11:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Ron Drummond, video from the Encyclopedia of Surfing.  Considerably more info at Legedary Surfers.  It looks as though Drummond picked up canoe technique on Canadian rivers.  

"Open" canoe is still a sporting proposisiton on rivers.  

03/24/2017 07:23 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Tried it once at first peak years ago (early 70s) in a 16 ft fiberglass canoe. It did not work out well, at all. Surf was about head high and my buddy, in back, bailed out when it jacked up (the famous elevator). I went over the falls and the canoe folded around me. Sure wish somebody had filmed it. I am sure it would have been hysterical.
 04/13/2017 08:34 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

It was fairly easy to ruin Grumman aluminum canoes on rivers.  Drummond was pretty obviously (1) expert, (2) somewhat crazy, and (3) had the now non-existent luxury of empty waves.  

05/08/2017 12:29 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

My brother and dad took a canoe out in the ocean, brother in front, Dad in back. I got to the beach just as they were trying to take a wave. Neither one surfed or knew anything about wave riding. They caught the wave, the bow pearled and my brother went down, the back of the canoe lifted straight up out of the water and threw my Dad out. They were very lucky not to get hurt and the canoe wasn't damaged. After that the canoe was relegated to the bay for fishing.

-------------------------
Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

05/19/2017 03:51 AM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Tried it years ago with a 16ft fiberglass canoe that was in my parents backyard for years. I was in the back, my buddy in the front and my 10 year old boy sitting in the middle on the deck. Waves were small, 1-2 ft. We take off and I drive my paddle down on the side trying to get some trim but of course, with no anchored fins/skeg the canoe turns sideways to the wave and rolls quickly smacking my buddy in the head, hard. Left a big bruise just above his left ear. We all fallout and stand in about 4 feet of water laughing and then start getting nailed by carpenter ants. They had built nests in either end of the damn thing and there were hundreds, everywhere floating on the top of the water, biting and biting......never again.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .