Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: fat tire bikes on beach
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/05/2018 03:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 fat tire bikes on beach   - larenyon - 04/05/2018 03:04 PM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - pompano - 04/05/2018 05:29 PM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - Mr. Long - 04/05/2018 06:14 PM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - dingpatch - 04/06/2018 04:35 AM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - RocketSurf - 04/06/2018 05:20 AM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - spindrift - 04/07/2018 04:33 PM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - LBLarry - 04/07/2018 08:19 PM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - Mr. Long - 04/09/2018 09:11 AM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - LBLarry - 04/09/2018 09:24 AM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - larenyon - 04/11/2018 05:21 PM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - HAPDigital - 05/01/2018 02:30 PM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - Mr. Long - 05/04/2018 04:04 AM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - HAPDigital - 05/04/2018 11:15 AM  
 fat tire bikes on beach   - Mr. Long - 05/05/2018 07:18 PM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/05/2018 03:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

Anyone on here ride theirs on the soft sand in southern brevard area? I was thinking of investing in one for training when it's flat, but wasn't sure if they can realistically ride across the soft sand, or just the hard pack sand. I live in Mel Bch, so it's pretty much all soft sand down here. Thx. 

04/05/2018 05:29 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

I ride my commuter from the inlet to jetty park in different stages.  I have Surly Knard 700c x 41, 33 tpi that I ride at about 25-30 psi at low tide.  Sand firmness comes and go.  Lately, the softer dredge sand with the prior big swells has moved it toward the tide line and made riding on my tires difficult.  The large beach bikes can handle even softer, and it is a great workout.  Bring lots of water to drink. you definitely get to see all the popular surf spots. 

04/05/2018 06:14 PM

Mr. Long

Joined Forum: 12/17/2006

Forget beach cruisers. What you need is an actual fat bike. My Motobecane Night Train has 4.8" tires that I'm currently running tubeless. Rolls over everything, depending on how you set your air pressure. It's my full-time mountain bike, but I've used it for riding cow trails on the St Johns as well as beach fishing. Works very well on soft sand. Got mine here: Fat Bikes for sale No need to spend $1500 like I did if all you want is something for the beach. They have much more affordable models. Get at least 4" tires. Lots to choose from in that link. Here's mine: Fat Fishing 1 Fat Fishing 2 Good luck!

-------------------------
Little Penquin: A winner is someone who doesn't knock me off my surfboard; Tank's definitely not a winner.

Little Penquin: He's a dirty trash can full of poop.

--Surf's Up

Edited: 04/05/2018 at 07:31 PM by Mr. Long
 04/06/2018 04:35 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-...ltiple-Colors/22861845

Simple and basic. Now, , , , , I know that the "Oh Boy 123XYZ Wow" bike is much more appealing, at twice the price but, unless it is made from 300 grade stainless and titanium it is going to rust and go to hell ASAP. Save yourself the bucks for beers along the way.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 04/06/2018 at 10:38 AM by dingpatch
 04/06/2018 05:20 AM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

DP--perfect bike for the beach...single speed, disposable. Rinse it off every time and it should last 1 - 2 years. Costing a whopping 8-9$ a month.
 04/07/2018 04:33 PM

spindrift

Joined Forum: 10/28/2016

We have several different models available for rent. They're geared real low, but even on hard sand they are a workout. Superfat wide tires
Dropping psi would definitely make these work in softer sand.
But again: hard work, you will break a sweat

spindrift

04/07/2018 08:19 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: Mr. Long

Forget beach cruisers. What you need is an actual fat bike.

My Motobecane Night Train has 4.8" tires that I'm currently running tubeless. Rolls over everything, depending on how you set your air pressure. It's my full-time mountain bike, but I've used it for riding cow trails on the St Johns as well as beach fishing. Works very well on soft sand.

Got mine here:
Fat Bikes for sale

No need to spend $1500 like I did if all you want is something for the beach. They have much more affordable models. Get at least 4" tires. Lots to choose from in that link.

Here's mine:
Fat Fishing 1
Fat Fishing 2

Good luck!

Where do you ride mtb ??

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 04/09/2018 09:11 AM

Mr. Long

Where do you ride mtb ??
    Living in Christmas, Snowhill is only about 10 minutes North. My wife and I ride there on Wednesdays and weekends when we need to stay close to home. Otherwise, we're off to Santos or Alafia.
    Two weekends ago, we stayed at a hotel at 484/95 and spent all day Saturday at Santos and then Sunday we hit Ern N Burn from 484 to Ross Prairie and back
    When I visit my dad in Pensacola, I bring the bike and hit the UWF trail. Has more elevation change than Snowhill, with a nice mix of stepped downhills and climbs.
    We've hit Markham park a couple of times when visiting friends in Lake Worth. SO much fun
My brother lives in Marietta, GA, so we always bring the bikes when visiting. Rope Mill Creek, Sope Creek, and Blankets are all very fun and within an hour of his house.
    We attend the Santos and Alafia FTFs every year, and last October, attended the Cold Water Mountain FTF in Anniston, AL

Little Penquin: A winner is someone who doesn't knock me off my surfboard; Tank's definitely not a winner.

--Surf's Up
 04/09/2018 09:24 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: Mr. Long

Where do you ride mtb ??

Living in Christmas, Snowhill is only about 10 minutes North. My wife and I ride there on Wednesdays and weekends when we need to stay close to home. Otherwise, we're off to Santos or Alafia.

Two weekends ago, we stayed at a hotel at 484/95 and spent all day Saturday at Santos and then Sunday we hit Ern N Burn from 484 to Ross Prairie and back

When I visit my dad in Pensacola, I bring the bike and hit the UWF trail. Has more elevation change than Snowhill, with a nice mix of stepped downhills and climbs.

We've hit Markham park a couple of times when visiting friends in Lake Worth.
    SO much fun

My brother lives in Marietta, GA, so we always bring the bikes when visiting. Rope Mill Creek, Sope Creek, and Blankets are all very fun and within an hour of his house.

We attend the Santos and Alafia FTFs every year, and last October, attended the Cold Water Mountain FTF in Anniston, AL

Interesting ... we have probably crossed paths.

I am a former member of the OMBA Board of Directors (and still admin their fb page) ..... I now live in St. Pete.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 04/11/2018 05:21 PM

larenyon

Thx for the input. I want it just for beach exercise to keep in shape. The walmart models are fine, but I am real tall and their bikes are usually too small for me. I'll check out the cheaper ones on the site you shared.

larenyon

Thx for the input. I want it just for beach exercise to keep in shape. The walmart models are fine, but I am real tall and their bikes are usually too small for me. I'll check out the cheaper ones on the site you shared.

larenyon

05/01/2018 02:30 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: Mr. Long Forget beach cruisers. What you need is an actual fat bike. My Motobecane Night Train has 4.8" tires that I'm currently running tubeless. Rolls over everything, depending on how you set your air pressure. It's my full-time mountain bike, but I've used it for riding cow trails on the St Johns as well as beach fishing. Works very well on soft sand. Got mine here: Fat Bikes for sale No need to spend $1500 like I did if all you want is something for the beach. They have much more affordable models. Get at least 4" tires. Lots to choose from in that link. Here's mine: Fat Fishing 1 Fat Fishing 2 Good luck!
Cool bike. I just ordered the Boris x5 a few days ago. Had a mongoose dolomite, and it was garbage.
 05/04/2018 04:04 AM

Mr. Long

Nice! You're going to love that bike. My wife has the X9. My boss rides a Boris the Brute.

--Surf's Up
 05/04/2018 11:15 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: Mr. Long Nice! You're going to love that bike. My wife has the X9. My boss rides a Boris the Brute.
Can't wait. Should be in today or tomorrow. My dolomite is like 60 lbs o.O and the gear shifter sucks bad. Everything is bad really.

FYI to those that don't know spectrum cycle shop in orlando sells these bikes and will put them together for you, for a fee. Bikesdirect also has a Jacksonville store as well. I think it is called spectrum as well. You can try the bike out. They had one boris available. Guy let me try it out and what a difference. The bike felt like an extension of my body rather than a hunk of heavy metal under me.

05/05/2018 07:18 PM

Mr. Long

Yep, been going to Frank at Cycle Spectrum Orlando for years. My wife got her first dual suspension from him back in 2010. He ordered both fat bikes for us. It was worth the extra $100 each for assembly and lifetime service. I also hooked my brother up with a Fantom 29er hard tail, when he came down to visit from Atlanta. Last year, we were in Alabama, riding Cold water Mountain, and he cracked the frame on the rear triangle. I brought the bike back with me, and Frank sourced another frame and rebuilt the bike. Now, for custom work, I always go to Dano at Retro City Cycles on Orange Avenue downtown Orlando. They converted my wife's Boris to single front chainring, 11 speed rear cassette, and machined the head tube to hold a tapered bearing set so she could run the carbon fork/mulefut rim/4.8" Maxxis Minion tire combo that comes on the Night Train. I also had them lace a mulefut rear wheel to the Boris hub, with a 4" Minion on the back. For Christmas, I bought her a carbon handlebar and a Thomson seatpost. She is loving the setup!

--Surf's Up
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .