Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Lots of flooding in N Central Fla
Topic Summary: may have to try another route
Created On: 09/13/2017 03:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Lots of flooding in N Central Fla   - StirfryMcflurry - 09/13/2017 03:21 PM  
 Headed north on i-75, or trying to get back in that way?   - ww - 09/13/2017 04:21 PM  
 Headed north on i-75, or trying to get back in that way?   - StirfryMcflurry - 09/14/2017 07:43 AM  
 Lots of flooding in N Central Fla   - retired45 - 09/14/2017 04:52 PM  
 Lots of flooding in N Central Fla   - LBLarry - 09/14/2017 08:41 PM  
 Lots of flooding in N Central Fla   - retired45 - 09/15/2017 03:32 AM  
 Lots of flooding in N Central Fla   - Central Floridave - 09/15/2017 09:41 AM  
 Lots of flooding in N Central Fla   - retired45 - 09/15/2017 10:15 AM  
 Lots of flooding in N Central Fla   - LBLarry - 09/15/2017 03:13 PM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/13/2017 03:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

EDIT - I-75 N of Gville is now open!

check https://fl511.com/#:Alerts for more info

Edited: 09/14/2017 at 10:19 AM by StirfryMcflurry
 09/13/2017 04:21 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

The news stories are almost unbelievable.  But the flooding over in Jacksonville is amazing, so I suppose the region around Gainesville is finally getting enough rain to get the water tables back to where they historically should be.  

09/14/2017 07:43 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

its record flooding, dubdub

-------------------------------------------------------

update - add also HWY 26 (east) out of Gville, now closed due to flooding.

09/14/2017 04:52 PM

retired45

Joined Forum: 08/03/2010

I live on Heckscher Drive (runs along the north side of the St Johns River from Jacksonville to Amelia Island). The bridge that connects us to Jacksonville Was washed out when the surge receeded. The detour is about 2 to2 1/2 hours through Fernandina Beach then I-95 south back to town. The ferry to Mayport is shorter, but not always quicker. It can get overwhelmed by commuters from Amelia Island trying to get across the river.

The word is it will take about a week to make repairs, but the full extent of the damage isn't known yet.

I have lived in my house for forty years and have never seen the water as high as it was Monday at 3pm. It was close to three feet deep on the road as the river flowed into the marsh. Dozens of houses that have never flooded in the past had a foot of water in them.

We live on a slight rise on the island which is about 300 yards wide by 2 miles long and escaped the flooding by a couple feet.

I hope this isn't the shape of things to come, but I'm afraid I am wrong.

-------------------------
Dads who change diapers
change the world
 09/14/2017 08:41 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: retired45

I live on Heckscher Drive (runs along the north side of the St Johns River from Jacksonville to Amelia Island). The bridge that connects us to Jacksonville Was washed out when the surge receeded. The detour is about 2 to2 1/2 hours through Fernandina Beach then I-95 south back to town. The ferry to Mayport is shorter, but not always quicker. It can get overwhelmed by commuters from Amelia Island trying to get across the river.

The word is it will take about a week to make repairs, but the full extent of the damage isn't known yet.

I have lived in my house for forty years and have never seen the water as high as it was Monday at 3pm. It was close to three feet deep on the road as the river flowed into the marsh. Dozens of houses that have never flooded in the past had a foot of water in them.

We live on a slight rise on the island which is about 300 yards wide by 2 miles long and escaped the flooding by a couple feet.

I hope this isn't the shape of things to come, but I'm afraid I am wrong.

Was it the more western bridge ( Clapboard Creek Fish Camp area) or the one closer to the Ferry dock ( Sisters Creek boat ramp) ???

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 09/15/2017 03:32 AM

retired45

It was Browns Creek. I live between Browns Creek and Clapboard Creek. I wish it was Clapboard. I would then have access to Heckscher Drive and town. All other bridges in the area are open.

Our only gas station, at the Ft George side of the ferry slip, is out of fuel and the next closest is in Fernandina.

If you are familiar with the area, Huguenot is closed and all of Big Talbot and Little Talbot Islands are closed until further notice.

After Mathew, Huguenot was closed for four months because the road in the park was washed out. It may be longer this time as the surge was higher and the only road from the guard shack to the beach is certainly washed out again.

Such is island life and soon enough things will return to normal.

There is a good side though. I now live at the end (1000 feet from the washed out bridge) of a long dead end road and it has never this quiet before. I never realized how deaf I had become to the road noise.

Dads who change diapers
change the world
 09/15/2017 09:41 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Thanks for the update. My parent-n-laws live on Amelia and we take Herckshire when visiting. Good luck with it.
 09/15/2017 10:15 AM

retired45

The Browns Creek bridge opened about an hour ago. It was much sooner then the first estimates and a pleasent surprise.

Dads who change diapers
change the world
 09/15/2017 03:13 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: retired45

The Browns Creek bridge opened about an hour ago. It was much sooner then the first estimates and a pleasent surprise.

Glad to hear it!!

I lived in Jax Bch for 20 years ...... very familiar with the area.

I have heard that Huguenot / N Jetty is just as bad or worse as Matthew

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .