Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anybody going to Nica????
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/25/2018 03:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Dahui321 - 04/25/2018 03:51 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Cuz - 04/25/2018 04:24 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - TheMazz729 - 04/25/2018 04:42 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - nicacondo - 04/25/2018 06:46 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Hat-n-Shades - 04/25/2018 07:53 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - ww - 04/25/2018 11:00 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Hat-n-Shades - 05/13/2018 12:25 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - ww - 05/13/2018 06:58 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - NPI13Productions - 05/14/2018 08:09 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Plan B - 05/14/2018 08:51 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Captain Obvious - 05/14/2018 09:31 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Cuz - 05/14/2018 10:41 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - coolchange - 05/14/2018 01:08 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - coolchange - 05/14/2018 01:08 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Bev - 05/14/2018 02:00 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Cuz - 05/14/2018 05:18 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Bev - 05/14/2018 05:33 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - jettyparksurfer - 05/15/2018 05:48 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - worksuxgetsponsered - 05/15/2018 05:56 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - TheMazz729 - 05/15/2018 08:22 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - worksuxgetsponsered - 05/15/2018 08:46 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - surfmcc32 - 05/15/2018 08:56 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - ww - 05/15/2018 01:19 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Bev - 05/15/2018 05:40 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - ww - 05/16/2018 01:17 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - TheMazz729 - 05/16/2018 04:33 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - Glassy Peelerz - 05/16/2018 05:36 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - nicacondo - 05/16/2018 06:58 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - NPI13Productions - 05/23/2018 07:11 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - surfersensei - 05/15/2018 05:20 PM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - miker - 05/23/2018 07:54 AM  
 Anybody going to Nica????   - miker - 05/25/2018 06:06 AM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/25/2018 03:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Dahui321

Joined Forum: 08/29/2014

After several days of heated anti-governments protests, 
the largest in decades, spawned from proposed changes to Nicaragua’s social security system, the death toll has climbed to 27. 
U.S. Embassy services in the capital city of Managua have been curtailed, while the state department has ordered those U.S. government employees and their families that are based here to leave the Central American country immediately, issuing this statement: “Political rallies and demonstrations are occurring daily, often with little notice or predictability… Some protests result in injuries and deaths.”

According to USA Today: “The department also advised Americans planning travel to Nicaragua to ‘reconsider’ their plans. 'Police presence and emergency response are extremely limited outside of major urban areas.’”
Heard the surf has beeen pumping though.
 04/25/2018 04:24 AM

Cuz

Joined Forum: 04/25/2010

Goin in July.
 04/25/2018 04:42 PM

TheMazz729

Joined Forum: 08/28/2015

I too, just booked a trip to Nicaragua in July. Seems like it may be a little sketchy loading the shuttle at the airport, but once on the road, I feel that things should be pretty mellow. I don't have any plans on srubbing this launch...lol.

04/25/2018 06:46 PM

nicacondo

Joined Forum: 05/24/2011

Our driver has reported only some slight delays getting people to and from the airport this week.  Our friends at the beach report no problems at all except some longer lines in the grocery stores in Rivas.  I think this will all settle down shortly.  Neither side is interested in hurting the tourists (which has really helped a lot in the last 10 years).

On a lighter note, surf has been pumping the last few days.  If I were more compter literate, I would post a photo.

I would not cancel any plans at this point.  We are likely going in May just for a long weekend.

04/25/2018 07:53 PM

Hat-n-Shades

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I have reservations for next Saturday. We had to scrub our September trip secondary to Irma and rescheduled for the Riots apparently. I will see how things evolve. This is about more than pensions...

-------------------------
"All my greatest Ideas were stolen by the Ancients" - Unknown Egyptian Scribe - 2500 B.C.
 04/25/2018 11:00 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

People who were being held have been released and schools are supposed to be open.  

While looking for news, I saw an optimistic story at El País, the Spanish newspaper with really good Latin America coverage.  There's a good chance of eliminating malaria in Central America and the Dominican Republic in 2020.  Already, there's very little of it compared to 15 years ago.  

05/13/2018 12:25 PM

Hat-n-Shades

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

We just got from our trip to Popoyo area. We did get a toll extorted by protesters or a gang impersonating protestors on our way back to Managua. We had to take back roads the rest of the way from Catarina where we heard gunfire. The coast seemed safe enough but a crisis is near.

"All my greatest Ideas were stolen by the Ancients" - Unknown Egyptian Scribe - 2500 B.C.
 05/13/2018 06:58 PM

ww

Thanks for the report and congrats on getting out in good shape.

05/14/2018 08:09 AM

NPI13Productions

Joined Forum: 09/04/2011

Leaving for a week on Thursday so fingers crossed and we will post some updates.

www.youtube.com/npi13productions

www.facebook.com/npiproductions

05/14/2018 08:51 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Gunfights make for good videos 

05/14/2018 09:31 AM

Captain Obvious

Joined Forum: 09/19/2005

I talked to a co-worker of mine this am and heard some scary stuff. They have family in Nica who work for a ranking Gov't official - story was awful.

They reported someone was ordered to take up arms (he works on computers) to show force against the protesters. He refused and was beaten and detained for days. Word is the Gov't has contained the media on this by shutting down internet and confiscating cameras all over. They saw through Facebook live huge crowds shutting down the streets compared to what has been shown here.

Allegedly there are some Gov't meetings today and tomorrow that will further determine the direction this goes. Worry is that conflict will escalate in the next 48 hours.

Embassies don't just shut down for no good reason. Anyone heading down there - be safe and use your head.

A horse walks in to a bar. Bartender says "Why the long face?"
 05/14/2018 10:41 AM

Cuz

Not stoked on my plans made for July. Only time will tell. Might re route and aim the plane for Waco!?! hah
 05/14/2018 01:08 PM

coolchange

Joined Forum: 08/28/2011

Man.....I just spoke to someone I know who is from Nicaragua and has family still there. When I saw that headline I thought it was recycled from late April....not so. Turns out this past Friday night in Masaya they shot dead another 32 or so students- shots were aimed at the head to kill. None of the students were armed. What is even worse is there are many dozens of students "missing" that have been kidnapped and presumed killed by the Ortega military from what she said. 

Evidently this all stemmed from an edict they passed where efefctive immediately all small buisness owners were taxed 10% on top of what they were, and anyone that recieved the equivalent of social security had 5% taken away over night- there are other  edicts I belive too that basically just overnight took money from citizens. Evidently it has come to light that Ortega took out some kind of loan a while back from Venezueala- and now they want their money as they are in shambles and their own military take over. 

If this continues investors will be fleeing the country, and surfers too! So far the only mass killings are in Managua and Masaya....but keep your eyes peeled- the woman I spoke to was told DO NOT come dowen here....and her relatives are now thinking about what they may do to leave....and you hear NONE of this on the U.S. press- amazing- 62 dead now is the count.

05/14/2018 01:08 PM

coolchange

Joined Forum: 08/28/2011

Man.....I just spoke to someone I know who is from Nicaragua and has family still there. When I saw that headline I thought it was recycled from late April....not so. Turns out this past Friday night in Masaya they shot dead another 32 or so students- shots were aimed at the head to kill. None of the students were armed. What is even worse is there are many dozens of students "missing" that have been kidnapped and presumed killed by the Ortega military from what she said. 

Evidently this all stemmed from an edict they passed where efefctive immediately all small buisness owners were taxed 10% on top of what they were, and anyone that recieved the equivalent of social security had 5% taken away over night- there are other  edicts I belive too that basically just overnight took money from citizens. Evidently it has come to light that Ortega took out some kind of loan a while back from Venezueala- and now they want their money as they are in shambles and their own military take over. 

If this continues investors will be fleeing the country, and surfers too! So far the only mass killings are in Managua and Masaya....but keep your eyes peeled- the woman I spoke to was told DO NOT come dowen here....and her relatives are now thinking about what they may do to leave....and you hear NONE of this on the U.S. press- amazing- 62 dead now is the count.

05/14/2018 02:00 PM

Bev

Joined Forum: 02/14/2015

Anyone that's made plans/intending to make plans still, and from this moment forward is hesitantly consisdering not cancelling, should have their f-----g head examined, and every other able minded individual here should be pis--d the hell off at them for risking our National interest and possible need to aid in their rescue/recovery, financially and emotionally. 

05/14/2018 05:18 PM

Cuz

Bev.... Have a Snickers bar.
 05/14/2018 05:33 PM

Bev

Cute cuz at best mate- irresponsible in the least. America's getting tired of having to clean up their stupid childrens blunders. Ignoring travel warnings, well,,,  

05/15/2018 05:48 AM

jettyparksurfer

Joined Forum: 07/25/2009

That's crazy. I landed in Managua the night after Ortega anounced the pension cuts and the riots began. I left a few days later and got back to the airport no problem. I did see burned tires in the road but thats it. 

I won't be going back there anytime soon.

05/15/2018 05:56 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

MANAGUA, Nicaragua - Nicaragua's military is urging an end to violence that has accompanied anti-government protests, while expressing solidarity with families of those killed during the unrest in recent weeks.

Demonstrations continued Sunday and have spread to at least eight departments of the Central American nation. Clashes between protesters and police and government paramilitaries have resulted in at least 60 deaths, according to rights activists. Two deaths were reported Saturday.

fox

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 05/15/2018 08:22 AM

TheMazz729

WorkSuxGetSponsered, I have read the same stories over the past day or two. Sounds like they are trying to diffuse the situation and resolve tensions between the two sides. I hope that this is true and plays out. I am slated to make a trip over there in just under two months. I figure this is plenty of time to assess the situation and make a final call. A lot can happen in that amount of time.

Bev, you have a valid point, but no one is going to take you seriously when you just jump in shouting at everyone like a lunatic. Chill down... ;-)

05/15/2018 08:46 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

I'm going to Panama in June and Costa the end of July or beginning of Aug. I haven't been to Nica in over 10 years. I hope they get this worked out, I'd love to go back.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 05/15/2018 08:56 AM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

Guess that means less crowds for the adventurous(or stupid?) ones

05/15/2018 01:19 PM

ww

A national dialogue is supposed to begin tomorrow, sponsored by the the Catholic bishops.  Violence is continuing.  La Prensa.  

05/15/2018 05:40 PM

Bev

Originally posted by: TheMazz729 WorkSuxGetSponsered, I have read the same stories over the past day or two. Sounds like they are trying to diffuse the situation and resolve tensions between the two sides. I hope that this is true and plays out. I am slated to make a trip over there in just under two months. I figure this is plenty of time to assess the situation and make a final call. A lot can happen in that amount of time.

Bev, you have a valid point, but no one is going to take you seriously when you just jump in shouting at everyone like a lunatic. Chill down... ;-)

Appreciate that you get it, however don't you think if what you say is true, it say's more about how able 'You' think 'everyone' is at evaluating a valid point~ Listen- my poignancy on this is a result of a personal past situation shaping up just like this one. It's bad shit. When a floodsa comin, ya don't just chill- Ya gotta get movin, that means people too

Anyway- we needs waves and more good winds here!     

05/16/2018 01:17 AM

ww

Um, on top of everything else, Managua's having some flood problems.

05/16/2018 04:33 AM

TheMazz729

Anyway- we needs waves and more good winds here!     

I can't agree more on this.

05/16/2018 05:36 PM

Glassy Peelerz

Joined Forum: 12/30/2004

My significant other is there now and was planning to travel from Miramar to Popoyo tomorrow. However, the guy he was going to stay with advised him against traveling that route because apparently some of the roads are blockaded. So yeah, it's dicey right now. Luckily he is flying out of San Pedro Sula and won't have to go near Managua.
 05/16/2018 06:58 PM

nicacondo

Joined Forum: 05/24/2011

I had a long conversation with my friend who has lived there for 15 years.  The deal is the students were not happy about the cuts in social security benefits and the increases in taxes.  It was basically the straw that broke the camel's back. They are tired of a "democracy" that is really a dictatorship and want a change (sound familiar?).  Ortega and his wife have no plans to relinguish power (ever met a dictator who did?).  He changed the term limit laws so that he could keep getting "re-elected" and made his wife the Vice President.  The police are cracking down on the protestors (60 have been killed and many are missing).  In retaliation the protestors have started blocking main roads in an attempt to get back at the government.  Some of these road blocks are demanding money to help fund the "revolution" against Ortega.  Basically its a mess trying to get around down there.  It is messing up supply lines all over the country.  The beaches are for the most part unaffected unless you need to go to town to get supplies or try to fly out.  Many people are heading to back to the US or to Costa Rica until things settle down.  I would say to hold off on any travel plans until things calm down some.  I hope and pray that this resolves itself for the people of Nicaragua.  They don't need another bloody war on top of their extreme poverty.  Unfortunately both sides are losing as it has bascially halted tourism, one of their most profitable resources.

05/23/2018 07:11 AM

NPI13Productions

Joined Forum: 09/04/2011

Well its been an interesting trip so far!

We had to reschedule our flight in by 2 days due to a national protest that shut down the roads. Getting on the plane in Ft. Lauderdale there were 4 customs agents just after the gate and before we got in the plane. They asked how much cash we had, where we were going and why so that was kinda strange. That and a TSA agent looked at my boarding pass then looks up and says, "Geeze stay safe out there"

Once in Managua airport it was oddly one of the smoothest experiences I have had. There are now 5 scanners for bags so we literally walked right out and our taxi was waiting. We did'nt see any fires, roadblocks or anything of that nature and the ride was really quick. That being said, it turns out that very same night protestors at the university next to the aiport clashed with police and several were shot but survived.

Unfortunatelty we got absolutely screwed on waves with onshores and basically death closeouts. We had a couple fun Florida esk sessions but not what I came for so pretty bummed on that. This morning there were easy DOH+ freak sets and Eric Geiselman was'nt really able to make anything of it. However, there was some super gnarly guy charging on a body board with 1 leg so that was pretty unreal!

Overall it sounds like the people are willing to almost hurt themselves and the country by blocking the economy and at this point many are clearly willing to fight. In my opinion I really do not forsee any tourists or foreigners being targeted by this unless you go looking for trouble or get involved. The night before we flew in my buddy was on his way out and had videos of cars on fire but they were not bothered at all. Its a shame becauase 60+ people have died, thousands have lost their jobs, millions and millions of dollars of revenue has been lost and tourism has basically stopped (outside of surfers).

If you are looking to come I would say its all good but pay close attention to what Ortega is doing because every time there is a meeting or speech the people shut down the roads for about a day. It sounds like they are doing another national protest today as Ortegoa is scheduled to have another meeting/speech of some kind. After speaking with many locals it sounds like the students being shot broke the camels back and the people refuse to back down until Ortega and his wife step down.

The man has stolen billions and tarnished everything he did for Nicaragua and its sad to see the people struggling with basically no option but try to fight back by stopping the cash flow. Interesting stuff but as a bunch of surfers its just another day in Nica.

www.youtube.com/npi13productions

www.facebook.com/npiproductions

05/15/2018 05:20 PM

surfersensei

Joined Forum: 12/02/2003

Just got back from Nica. Very sketchy right now. Almost didn't make my flight to Managua due to blocked highways, burning tires, masked protestors.etc. No violence toward foreigners but still... Feel really bad for the locals at the surf destinations. virtually all reservations have been cancelled and businesses are forced to lay off most employees. Me and my friend were the only ones at our resort. It was still pretty crowded at Popoyo but that might be the last of it for a while.
 05/23/2018 07:54 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Thanks for the update. Seems a little sketchy if you have strict time frames for travel though.
 05/25/2018 06:06 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

5/25/2018
2 killed and 50 wounded

Trump prepares to take action
(disclaimer: unsure of validity of this news source)

Mormons move missionaries
(same with this one)

Washington Post - Ortega's Oppression

Talks suspended Indefinitely

Uh oh........

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .