Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Lagoon-
Topic Summary: Anything happening to help it yet?
Created On: 03/05/2017 01:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2017 01:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Wahine Linda

Joined Forum: 08/10/2003

We gave up our slip at the Manatee Cove Marina at Patrick because we couldn't stand the disgusting water any longer. We now have a new Robalo R242 and keep it at the Sebastian River Marina in dry storage. We are enjoying going out the inlet into the beautiful blue water of the Atlantic ocean so much. What a change from the rivers. I haven't been keeping up with the Lagoon happenings. Have they started any dredging or ANYTHING yet? Last week I stopped in at Manatee Cover marina and the water was still poop brown.

-------------------------
My golden retriever surfs too!
 03/06/2017 06:38 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Dredging at Turkey Creek and Eau Gallie River.

Brevard Co. is in the 5th year of the 15 year BMAP cycle that 

sets mandatory cleanup levels for inputs to the Lagoon.

So yes, work is being done.  Expect to see results in another 5-10 years

IF

people continue to pay attention to the problem.

It took 50 yrs to screw up the Lagoon,

expect it to take a long time to clean up.  

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 03/06/2017 10:02 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: tom

Dredging at Turkey Creek and Eau Gallie River.

Brevard Co. is in the 5th year of the 15 year BMAP cycle that 

sets mandatory cleanup levels for inputs to the Lagoon.

So yes, work is being done.  Expect to see results in another 5-10 years

IF

people continue to pay attention to the problem.

It took 50 yrs to screw up the Lagoon,

expect it to take a long time to clean up.  

Interesting, thanks Tom, can you expand BMAP for us regular folk lol?

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 03/06/2017 11:20 AM

tom

Sure -

FL Dept of Environmental Protection, in cooperation with the St. Johns River Water Managment District, has set a Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) for the various basins of the Lagoon.

The TMDL represents FL's numeric criteria requirement for pollutants in a water body as spelled out in the Clean Water Act.

The Basin Management Action Plan (BMAP) is the agreed upon, formalized, legally binding plan for reaching pollutant levels less than or equal to the TMDL.

Lots more here:  http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/tmdl/

You can find the IRL BMAPs under the BMAP link to the right.  

03/06/2017 12:15 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

very cool thanks tom!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 03/07/2017 06:27 AM

tom

I hear on the radio that the project plan for expected

$34M funding from the 0.5cent sales tax goes to county commission tonight.  

Looked online to find a copy of the plan but was unsuccessful.

Anyone?

03/08/2017 11:42 AM

tom

03/10/2017 05:28 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

They are demucking the Cocoa Beach canals right now.

I was right.
 05/01/2017 05:36 AM

Zeus

I've been seeing some rapid improvement in water quality in both lagoons lately.  At least in terms of clarity.  All the sudden I can see the bottom of my canal again.  Haven't see that in many years.  Been seeing the stubble of grass growing back on most of my favorite flats too. Not seeing much in the way of sea life yet, but hopfully that'll come.

Anybody else feeling optimistic of lagoon health these days, or have encouraging stories?

05/01/2017 05:57 AM

tertle

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Originally posted by: Zeus I've been seeing some rapid improvement in water quality in both lagoons lately.  At least in terms of clarity.  All the sudden I can see the bottom of my canal again.  Haven't see that in many years.  Been seeing the stubble of grass growing back on most of my favorite flats too. Not seeing much in the way of sea life yet, but hopfully that'll come.

Anybody else feeling optimistic of lagoon health these days, or have encouraging stories?

i can't give the specific locations of the spots because their non-pressured honey holes but i have seen the water clarity go from "i can't see the bottom in 3" of water" to "wow, the water is getting pretty clear where i can actually sight fish." plus the grass is slowly starting to come back. i'm thinking it's because we have had hardly any rain to produce runoff....
 05/01/2017 06:02 AM

tom

^good call on the rain

That's why I like posting enviro stuff on the fishing page,

because it's read by people who know the river.

It does look pretty good right now.

05/01/2017 07:29 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Drought.

Should give people a good illustration that the nutrient loading that comes with run-off when it rains is a huge driver of the water quality problems that we have had over the last few years.

There are a lot of other pieces to the puzzle but it should be reasonably clear that when you take away the runoff the plankton growth slows down and the water clears up. All the other factors are still there. The lack of rain is the only thing that has changed since this time in 2016.

Thing is, the lagoon needs the freshwater too. We just need to make sure that when it rains that the freshwater is cleaner.

05/02/2017 08:32 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Stopped using fertilizer on my lawn  a couple years back and added a non vegatative strip between the sea wall and yard.  Every little bit

05/03/2017 10:33 AM

tertle

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

i know we need the rain and all but i hope it holds off as long as possible. think scombrid hit the nail on the head, we need to make sure what flows in is clean as can be.
 05/04/2017 06:24 AM

scombrid

We completely removed our front and side lawns in the last month. Front is getting replaced with mimosa. Side is perenial peanut and jasmine minima because it isn't sunny enough for mimosa. About 1/3 of the 0.25 acre back yard is converted to native and florida friendly non-native garden plants. We have quite a lot of bees and butterflies back there. (we are already heading into a third generation of Gulf Fritilary, Zebra Longwing, Orange Sulphur, and Pipevine). Mimosa in the front will be loaded with bees and butterflied once it grows in. We are hoping our efforts turn out attractive so that people can see that alternatives to the super-manicured monocrop chemlawns are attractive.

Some neighbors have expressed horror at the tragic death of our "beautiful" lawn. (previous owners had the chem-lawn and the grass was still looking solid). Other neighbors have been very complimentary.

Our neighborhood is a mixed bag in general. No HOA so landscape is up to personal taste. Still a lot of chemlawn St. Auggie monocrops that are neon-green right now when natural turn is struggling with the weather we have been having. But also a lot of people going natural for the lawn and "florida friendly" for the ornamentals.

05/07/2017 03:52 PM

wbsponger

Joined Forum: 08/04/2003

We irrigate and fertilize nothing. Dune daisey, blanket flower, texas sage, necklace pod, etc in front. The back back is all natural sandy weeds. It is actually amazing the amount and variety of flowers on a lot of the "weeds". We get tons of action on them with butterflies, bees, and other good guys. I do selectively weed or spray the more annoying and aggressive weeds like dandelions and their relatives. Plan on putting a large wood deck that will cover most of the back anyways this year.

My only fear is that if we continue the drought and good water clarity we will be met with a rude awakening if we get sustained dose of heavy rain later this summer. If I am not mistaken, the big alage bloom/seagrass die off from a few years back is generally believed to have been caused by a similar scenario. Drought condition led to nutrient loading in the canals etc that got flushed out all at once.

I have also heard a rumor that the St Johns River Management District will no longer be conducting seagrass surveys. They have been doing this for 20+ years and data showing our seagrass health has to be the best overall proxy available to measure lagoon health as a whole. I am sure you can thank the directors who have have been appointed by our fine governor for this farsighted decision. Perhaps their thinking is that when we no longer have a good measure of lagooon health, there will be no way for anyone to hold them accountable for their action or lack therof on addressing issues like fertilizer runoff, etc

05/08/2017 05:33 AM

tom

Last I heard, seagrass surveys will continue.  

Note that our TMDL requirements are based on IRL seagrass survey results; so,

they're part of the "rule" now.  Sort of.

05/09/2017 01:23 PM

Wedgefield

Joined Forum: 12/18/2003

Originally posted by: wbsponger We irrigate and fertilize nothing. Dune daisey, blanket flower, texas sage, necklace pod, etc in front. The back back is all natural sandy weeds. It is actually amazing the amount and variety of flowers on a lot of the "weeds". We get tons of action on them with butterflies, bees, and other good guys. I do selectively weed or spray the more annoying and aggressive weeds like dandelions and their relatives. Plan on putting a large wood deck that will cover most of the back anyways this year.

Blame the govt all you want but until more coastal residents realize the problem starts with them and take your mentioned approach to their lawns, no amount of laws/money is going to fix the problem. One exception to that would be to remove all septic systems within certain distance, that the govt would have to assist with and control.
 05/12/2017 06:44 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

I'll be interested to hear how that perennial peanut does scombrid (I don't think my spouse could handle the jasmine fragrance)

My front side is all mimosa now (and most of my neighbor's front too, it spreads fast) but the front is under a huge Poinciana that shades too much for it.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 05/28/2017 06:12 AM

scombrid

Mimosa is awesome. 50% coverage of 2000 square feet from 36 little 6" starts in 6 weeks of growth. I think we will have a full front lawn of the stuff by the end of the summer.

Perenial Peanut starts that we used were pathetic neglected leftovers at the nursery but it is what was in stock. They have rooted in and are growing nicely but nowhere near as fast as mimosa.

Mimosa gets all day full sun. Peanut is getting blasted with direct sun from 9-10AM till about 2-3 depending on the spot.

Mimosa definitely needs the sun. The one start that is partially shaded by the edge of a small red tree orchid is growing at about half the rate of the plants that are mid yard.

On another note. One of the St. Augustine grass neighbors was pushing the fertilzer spreader along the sea wall Friday PM. There were actual stray granuals flying over into the water. The previous owners of that property did not fertilize the strip between Rockledge Drive and the lagoon. I guess that in addition to ripping out the native drought tolerant bedding in the main yard for more sod space, he wants the riverside strip to glow green.

FORUMS : Fishing : The Lagoon-

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .