Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Heat pump water heater
Topic Summary: Any thoughts or experience?
Created On: 11/26/2017 07:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/26/2017 07:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

N8crow

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I'm in the market for a residential water heater. The upfront cost for the high efficiency models seem to pay off, but I haven't met anyone that has one. Thoughts appreciated!

-------------------------
the older we get, the better we were
 11/27/2017 04:59 AM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I'm in the same situation.  Where I live doesn't have gas, so everything is electric.  Doing a remodel and the GC is recommending a heat pump waterheater. He says he has installed quite a few and they have been working out well.  Since my water heater is inside the house an added benifit is that they put out cool air.

So no first hand experience here, but am leaning towards installing one first quarter of next year.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 11/27/2017 05:49 AM

Central Floridave

epicsurf just installed one. I'll ask him to look at this thread.
 11/27/2017 06:26 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

So this is basically a garage AC,

that makes hot water too?

Win win! 

Weight set out of spare bedroom to make Mrs tom happy?

Win win win!

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 11/27/2017 06:44 AM

epicsurf

Joined Forum: 10/25/2003

Get one! I had solar thermal and it got destroyed during Irma so now I replaced it with a Lowes 50gal AO Smith. I have a friend that researches this at the Florida Solar Energy Center and he says these along with Solar electric (PV) is a better setup than Solar thermal. It basically uses 1/3 the power if you leave it in efficiency mode (HP only) and it cools the garage as an added bonus. Probably not a good option in an enclosed closet since it needs to be vented and has a condensate line. The new Rheem supposed to be best 450W, Bradford White (formerly GE) next 500 W, then AO smith 50 gal. First too are avail in 80 gallon . Stay away from AO smith 89 gal. I gambled on the 5 yr extended warranty which may pay off. Also got 10% off the $1200 price. In efficiency mode only it does a fine job of keeping my house (2 ppl) supplied with hot water. The best part is that it blows cold air right on my workbench!!
 11/27/2017 06:46 AM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

Originally posted by: tom So this is basically a garage AC, that makes hot water too? Win win!  Weight set out of spare bedroom to make Mrs tom happy? Win win win!
That's really neat; I'm intrigued! Do they have a tank to keep warm or do they run on demand and only when water's flowing?
 11/27/2017 06:14 PM

epicsurf

There is a tank. It basically is a regular heat element water heater with a heat pump on top. You can set it to efficiency mode where it just uses the heat pump, hybrid (uses both) or electric only.
 11/27/2017 06:14 PM

epicsurf

There is a tank. It basically is a regular heat element water heater with a heat pump on top. You can set it to efficiency mode where it just uses the heat pump, hybrid (uses both) or electric only.
 11/27/2017 06:22 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Don't assume you don't have gas without checking. We had it at the street, and the gas company ran it to the house for free as long as we bought two appliances.

I wouldn't trade our natural gas tankless water heater. Big savings and we're never out of hot water.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 11/27/2017 08:04 PM

N8crow

Ok, thanks for all the feedback. I was initially discouraged because of the need for a drain line, but a friend suggested that I could use the AC drain which in my case will be very convenient. I've been looking at the Rheem that they sell at the Home Depot, and it appears that you get a pretty quick ROI about 2-3 years. So, still leaning hybrid, but also exploring tankless. Thanks for the help!

the older we get, the better we were
 11/28/2017 03:51 AM

Bamboo

RT - yes, gas would be my number 1 choice but definitely there are no gas lines where I live now.  Previous house had gas and loved it.   

Epicsurf - Can you give us an idea about how much cool air is given off by the water heater's heat pump?  You said yours is in the garage and blows cold air across your workbench, so does it make a noticable temp difference over the entire garage? 

Ours would be in an 150sf utility room with washer, dryer, and A/C air handler and the GC is saying tapping into the A/C drain line is the way to go.  He did say since the water heater is in an air conditioned space that we might want to keep the A/C vent closed and the room's door closed and just let the heat pump cool the utility room.

Anyway, Good to read about other's experiences with the heat pump water heater and appreciate Epicsurf sharing his research, thanks!

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 11/28/2017 at 05:44 AM by Bamboo
 12/02/2017 09:26 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

The AC drain line plugs occasionally if not fed bleach.

My water heater's past its life span, so heat pump sounds like a great replacement.

11/22/2018 07:34 PM

ww

The water heater spilled its contents at 5 this afternoon. Lowe's has the AO Smith in stock. AC drain is right back of the water heater.
 11/23/2018 07:05 PM

Bamboo

So, have had a Rheem Hybrid 65 gal installed for several months now. Works great and dropped my all electric house's bill by about 25 bucks a month (kind of a guess, but definitely lower...will know better after a full year). Ended up plumbing the condensate drain line into a utility sink's drain. The sink is next to the water heater and the plumber said that is the best way for my set-up. The cool air output keeps our utility room nice and cool, enough so that I turned the AC vent off to that room. Overall, am happy and would do it again. Will be interesting to see how I feel about this in 5 years or so.

11/23/2018 07:21 PM

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

I ran into one of these when my wife's friend's husband was out of town and she said something was leaking water all over her garage.

I stopped by to help her out and noticed this crazy ass water heater with what looked like an AC unit on top and the thing was blowing COLD AIR into the garage.. I was like WTF is this thing?

The drain line was just sitting on the floor spilling water- probably one of the kids knocked it loose- i just fed it into some hose and out into the yard. But I had wondered what that thing was all about..

So Bamboo- do you run yours in efficiency or hybrid mode? Does it serve enough hot water for your use at all times?

and most importantly, how much cold air comes out of it? Could it cool down an entire 2 car garage?

Edited: 11/23/2018 at 07:22 PM by paddleout
 11/23/2018 07:41 PM

Bamboo

it is in hybrid mode, but it has never kicked in the heating element to my knowledge. Have several female family members and have yet to run out of hot water. I don't think it would keep a 2 car garage cool in the summers. But it would drop the temp a few degrees, or keep a smaller zone cool. You can duct the output to a different location if you want. I notice mine kicks on after hot water use and the heat pump runs about and hour or so before it kicks off. If no hot water has been used it doesn't run.

11/24/2018 07:32 AM

ww

Even a few degrees less hot in the garage would be helpful. Now back to the beach for a nice warm shower.
 11/24/2018 11:30 PM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Termines plumbing supply house.
(322)724-4610
Dave plumber
(321) 537-0480

Tony licensed electrician
(321) 626-2673

If u want to keep your garage cooler then
Insulated your door. We sell insulation
Kits.

Style is what you make it!

Edited: 11/24/2018 at 11:39 PM by palerider
 11/25/2018 11:52 AM

ww

The garage door (replaced to meet hurricane code) is insulated. It made a big difference. I'm in Vero, so not so convenient to Brevard people.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .