Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What's with the sailboats being sunken/crashed in the river?!
Topic Summary: Is it an insurance scam?
Created On: 08/27/2017 07:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/27/2017 07:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dropsolo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

It's an eyesore and I'm sure it's not great for the river. I've lived in other areas near water and boating areas, even in Florida, and never saw anything like this. It's not like these people are anchoring there boats in fast moving currents, they're in coves a lot times protected from ocean breezes.

(End rant)

-------------------------
I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
 08/28/2017 04:55 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

BRB trying to imagine since NO PIX

08/28/2017 05:27 AM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

Quite a few boats were lost in Hurricane Matthew. My understanding is that for the most part, the owners' took off their registrations and abandoned the sunken boats, and there's really not a budget for the State to remove them.
 08/28/2017 07:18 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

Eyesore... really..?

08/28/2017 08:40 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

I have to belive that somebody is doing an insurance scam with boats on the southside of the Melbourne causeway.

30-40 ft from the shore, has had small sailboats that sit there like somebody is living on them. but then 3 or 4 have been sunk at the exact same spot in the last 3 or 4 years.

The boat sits there a week or 2 and then you just see the top of the mast sticking up. every year, same spot, same MO.

08/28/2017 11:05 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Pirates. 

and,

owner is responsible for cleanup 

if you can find the pirate 

http://myfwc.com/boating/waterway/derelict-vessels/abandoned-vessels/

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 08/28/2017 11:45 AM

dropsolo

Originally posted by: waterlizard25

Eyesore... really..?

Haha yes! There was a big tug boat that was covered in algae for like six months after the Frances and Jeanne debacle that looked like a haunted ship.

If I crashed my car and abondoned it on the side of the road. You bet your ass I'd have a knock on my door.

And thanks for The confirmed suspicion re the insurance scam. I too remember that set of boats sinking around a similar time. That sucks that there isn't anything in place for this. Boats I guess are easier to just "deregister" them with a blow torch and a screw driver.

08/28/2017 11:46 AM

dropsolo

And I may be pushing the limit on being insensitive to other people misfortune. But like I said, I used to live in the keys and never saw this amount of "misfortune" down there.

08/29/2017 06:38 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

The river is really an odd place. Back when I spent so much time on the lagoons, especially training for racing ocean kayaks, you'd see some really weird stuff out there. The comment about looking like someone is living on them is not far from the truth. Especially when I'd be on the water around dusk you'd actually see hobos paddle out to those boats, break into them, and I know-not-what after that but certainly involved sleeping on them I would think. I wouldn't have a boat around here that I couldnt take out of the water just because of what I've seen. Years ago I saw an obvious homeless individual walking/wading out to one of the boats by the 520 causeway.

They probably don't hang out on the sunken/sinking ones so perhaps my tale is off-topic.

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .