Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surfing during mandatory evacuation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/08/2017 07:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/08/2017 07:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

Considering staying beachside even though the mandatory evacuation starts today at 3 PM.

Anyone have any experience staying in Cocoa Beach after a mandatory evacuation has begun?

Will the cops bother you if you're driving around?

Will you get harassed if you're out surfing?

Or can I go about my business and they'll just leave me alone?
 09/08/2017 08:08 AM

SrfGtr

Joined Forum: 12/19/2006

You're lifeless body will not be searched for or found...
 09/08/2017 08:25 AM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

The amount of toxic stuff that will be washed out into the water is not worth the infection you will get , the cops will tell you to stay put if you stay . repeated warnings will get you arrested . Staying is misery , leaving is a hassle . pick your poison
 09/08/2017 08:25 AM

scostuart

Joined Forum: 12/28/2007

EMS, FIRE, P.D., do not run calls when winds hit 55mph.

-------------------------

Waiting for waves is ok......most people spend their lives waiting for nothing.

09/08/2017 08:30 AM

sw

Originally posted by: SrfGtr

You're lifeless body will not be searched for or found...

haha! Yeah yeah, I know.

If we need to evacuate we're actually going to do so Saturday evening most likely. We've got family in mainland Sebastian but want to stay put as long as possible for certain reasons. Grew up here and been through all this a hundred times before...evacuated when it made sense and waited watchfully at other times...not being careless but also trying to be practical with other concerns I'm dealing with right now.

So we will likely be here for 24 hours or so after the evac goes into effect.

Will they throw me out if I'm out surfing the pier tomorrow morning?

I just don't want to be out driving around tomorrow and have them force me off the beachside without a chance to drive back and get my wife and kids (just wanting to know if CB police would even do something that aggro)
 09/08/2017 08:43 AM

wehorde

Joined Forum: 08/26/2004

Not a good idea to be in the water right after the storm passes. Even though there will be a small window of epic conditions, there will also likely be a ton of large debris in the water. Debris that can snag you, tangle you up, and suck you under. I was out at Bucs immediately after one of the storms passed on '04. Conditions were indeed epic. I was sitting outside and a f'ing LARGE TREE lurched and rolled up out of the water in front of me and then sank below the surface and kept going it's merry way. I was like holy-schmolies... That would have easily carried me off with it if was sitting just a few feet further out! So, not a good idea...

Worst thing I ever read - "No tropical cyclones at this time"
 09/08/2017 09:00 AM

TONYlookaround

Joined Forum: 08/29/2004

15 years ago some teenagers went out in early post storm surf in Mel Beach.  I was out further north at BW and turtle rolled the longboard as a Z board section of stairs (minus most of the steps) washed over me and hammered the bottom of the board - leaving a stair-step impression megading and puncture.   The boys lost one of their friend, possibly from logs or pilings lost.  Such a sad paddle out to follow.  keep your eyes wide open. 

it's never too late to have a happy childhood...

09/08/2017 09:43 AM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

The surf is never good after a direct hit. All the stories of epic for two hours is hype. Its a turned up jumbled mess with smooth conditions.
 09/08/2017 09:46 AM

BLat

Joined Forum: 10/28/2010

I have a question about evac orders - if this storm decides to run far west and up the west coast of FL, would they ever REVERSE the evac order? Or once its placed, its placed for good? 

09/08/2017 10:32 AM

sw

Just called both Publix stores in Cocoa Beach...both will be open normal hours today until 10 PM...the one by the Pier open tomorrow until noon.

Guess I just got part of my answer about how serious the cops will take the evacuation!
 09/08/2017 10:55 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Anyone have any experience staying in Cocoa Beach after a mandatory evacuation has begun?

I have a friend that always stays and he heads out to check the houses of those like me who left. The police have never said a word to him.

Patrick Is a different story, they will arrest you.

The bridge closings would be my main worry if I was trying to get to Sebastian.

I always skip sessions close to storms because there is no one to put you back together if you snap an arm or take the board up the wazoo.

I was right.
 09/08/2017 02:27 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

I just got in from surfing BW.  We are under mandatory evac right now! I saw a couple of folks out on either side of me.  Just as long as you follow their curfew rules and avoid any over zelous folks that want to keep you safe by not entering the water, you should be fine.

09/08/2017 02:44 PM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

Does anyone know if any surf shops will be open st all tomorrow? I need new screws for my shortboard or else I'm riding a fish Monday evening and Tuesday..anyone got an extra fun key too? I'll trade what I need for a big propane tank, roommate got the big can but I only needed the little green kind..

09/08/2017 02:47 PM

scostuart

Joined Forum: 12/28/2007

Originally posted by: BLat I have a question about evac orders - if this storm decides to run far west and up the west coast of FL, would they ever REVERSE the evac order? Or once its placed, its placed for good? 

NO.  Liability will force the city/county/state/local government to only give the all clear when the storm has passed.

If once person is injured/maimed/killed due to a too early Reverse of evac orders....then the governement is responsible.

Over hyping and "over protecting" is now the NEW NORMAL.

Waiting for waves is ok......most people spend their lives waiting for nothing.

09/08/2017 03:13 PM

surfnole

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Hurricane now forecast to head up the west coast.....so staying may seem logical.
 09/09/2017 04:37 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

news says  - en miami, they will be baker acting homeless folks who refuse to seek shelter... 

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .