Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Reef / Worm Rock
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/05/2017 08:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/05/2017 08:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

vtecmonster

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

I have lived in 32937 a combined ~30 years and have surfed for over 20 of them. Why does the reef along our beaches only extend to PAFB to Indialantic? Why is it only on the inside? In all the years, sand in & sand out, the reef/rocks never manage to extend to the mid break or outside (it's only about ~30-40ft at the most). Why are they in such a specific spot and not more widespread?

08/05/2017 08:52 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Geez, I thought I was the one with too many questions. What are you trying to do, steal my identity!? JK, I would be asking the same if I had noticed. LOL.

I've always thought that's it's just Coquina rock in a few places.

08/06/2017 02:00 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

08/06/2017 12:59 PM

vtecmonster

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

Originally posted by: Central Floridave Wiki. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_Formation

I'm still curious why it never surfaces anywhere else (cocoa beach & mel beach)? Is it offshore anywhere in satellite area? Especially because the reef always seems to be changing in Satellite Beach. I can remember riding my bike on it when I was a kid 25 years ago (because the shelves of rock where so big and unbroken). There use to be 3 giant ledges behind Sun on the Beach. It's totally different now. 

08/06/2017 02:44 PM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Used to be coquina in melbeach years ago
 08/06/2017 03:55 PM

TheFirstPeakProject

Joined Forum: 01/12/2016

Originally posted by: vtecmonster
Originally posted by: Central Floridave Wiki. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_Formation

I'm still curious why it never surfaces anywhere else (cocoa beach & mel beach)? Is it offshore anywhere in satellite area? E

The worm reef shows up at Sebastian Inlet during the winter and spring every year [see bottom of pilings in pic].  If the worm reef would only close those gaps, we would have the reflective wall needed to restore the wedge.  Come on worm reef, come on!

-------------------------

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

08/07/2017 10:24 AM

JBSURF

Joined Forum: 10/11/2004

Used to be some at 2nd light up on the north end,,,, called it the rock garden,,,,, gone for decades ,,, as far as I know....

I've decided to accept the fact - I'll always be a big kid!
 08/07/2017 10:52 AM

long_flaco1

Joined Forum: 09/25/2003

About a year ago getting out on the north end of 2nd light more towards the "No-club" I ran into that reef and had to do the mini rock dance on the way out.. I ended up getting out around there just this weekend and was now all sandie.. Guess its all covered at this point.

SK8 AND DESTROY
 08/07/2017 11:51 AM

mikedaniel

Joined Forum: 01/11/2012

Re the length (north to south) of the exposed coquina reef and the worm reef which attaches to it and grows...

Lots of us remember that it extended from south Cocoa Beach down to at least Melbourne Beach. When the Corps did their ''assessment'' around 1990, lots of reef had already been covered by dredge projects. 

When they announced their results in 1992, I remember talking with one of the county officials who really didn't want to hear that there used to be more living reef. It would mess up their ''plan''.

Would love to see some old photos of reef in Cocoa Beach, Indialantic, or Mel Beach. Unfortunately, I don't have any...

FORUMS : Surfing : Reef / Worm Rock

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .