Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Your first surfing experience...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/03/2007 07:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/03/2007 07:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

FLSurferzMom

Joined Forum: 08/10/2004

I learned on my sister's 9'6" Gary Propper noserider. She was kind enough to push me into
the waves at Lantana Beach in 1967. YIKES the STONE AGE! She was such a huge inspiration
to me, cheering me on with every wave! I think I stood up on the 3rd try and was HOOKED!

-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flsurferzmom/
 02/04/2007 05:04 AM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

you'll never forget your first shot of stoke!
good for you
keep da stoke!

... positioning and selection
 02/04/2007 04:19 PM

Bill77

Joined Forum: 12/19/2005

Standing on Cocoa Beach Pier in 1964 and watching the boarders below. I was hooked before I even hit the water on my Sting Ray popout a couple of months later.
 02/06/2007 09:04 PM

vtownboy

Joined Forum: 09/29/2005

I was riding a 6'10 Charley Baldwin Mini Gun in about 1 1/2' surf in cocoa beach. Never did stand up for about 2 months. Best feeling ever.
 02/06/2007 09:06 PM

LOST721

Joined Forum: 01/29/2007

dont know the exact board, but it was my babysitters longboard, she took me to the beach when i was like 7, i remember riding the board all the way in until the fin hit the sand and i fell off. it was amazing

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. "
- Tyler Durden
 02/07/2007 07:01 PM

surfspaz

Joined Forum: 09/16/2005

@ second light on a P.O.S. surfboard with my brother. one of my best memories, to get up and ride line for the first time.
 02/12/2007 07:32 PM

follybeacher

Joined Forum: 03/30/2006

1967 - watching the local stars at 12th St., Folly Beach, S.C., then lugging my 7'2" Hansen five blocks to 7th St. to earn the right to surf at 12th.

updated profile
 02/13/2007 03:23 PM

HIPPY1

Joined Forum: 02/19/2004

Oldclub!!! Started late!! I was a senior in high school(88)!!! Old Ricky Carrol shapes!! I beleive it was a Proshapes! Stood up first time out!! Actually the guy who took me was impressed!!! But I still stink!!! But it's all about having fun, right??!?!

It's not how big the wave is! It's how you surf it!

Primus sucks!
PLayalinda sucks!!!!

GO BRONCOS!!

The #1 cause of accidental death 4 yrs and younger is drowning!! 407-855-SAFE!!! infantswim.com
 02/15/2007 09:15 AM

eibla

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Riding one of those blue canvas air mattresses my mother would rent for 50 cents a day from a beach vendor in the Miami Beach wind chop. A couple years later on Wide World Of Sports I watched Fred Hemmings win a big contest at Sunset Beach (Also surfing were Buffalo Kealana and Rabbit Kekai). I HAD to do that!! Bought a 9'6" yellow Royal Hawaiin popout from the only surfer in my school a few weeks later. Whenever I could I'd take the Metro bus (with my 9'6") and after a transfer in Coral Gables I'd be at the dog track at South Beach. Next to the Great Lakes, Miami Beach probably is the least consistant spot in America, but I learned how despite it. I eventually got to know a guy that worked at the old Surfboard House shop next to the bagel shop and he let me store my board there and a little later let me trade the Royal Hawaiin for a decent used Surfboard House standard shape. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I actually got pretty good. We'd live for winter and I remember as if yesterday my first "refracto" swell, course we didn't call it that back then. An almost point break tilt to the left off the end of the old south beach pier. The best surfer in the water was a guy named Larry Solomon and of course the infamous Murf the Surf. Met and became bud's with Lewis Graves on the bus one day. They were older and Lewis and I just got out of the way. Most weekends it was flat but you went out and flailed around anyway, had a coke and bagel in the morning and most Sunday's "Holy Joe" the Evangelical Preacher would spread his version of the "The Word" on the beach. I think he was actually pyschotic but maybe he was just filled with "The Lord". When one of the guys finally got old enough to drive we'd pitch in for the $3.00 worth of gas it took to go round trip to "Pierce", Ft. Pierce North Jetty. It was like going to the Maldives for us. No I-95, just US 1 North. When I was 16 I bought one of those surplus 3 wheel covered Post office Cushman delivery scooters. Put lots of miles going 40 mph up to "Pierce" with 2 buddies in the back box and jerry rigged racks on top. Finally flipped the damn thing going around Alhambra Circle in the Gables to fast. Ruined a Hansen 50/50 and Surfboards Hawaii Model "A" in the process (I'm still sorry about that Dennis and Frank) my board was in the middle and came out alive. MANY moons since then, but Miami Beach still has a place in my heart.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness -
John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited: 02/15/2007 at 09:16 AM by eibla
 02/15/2007 12:32 PM

fowla-fowla

Joined Forum: 02/01/2007

going down the line for the first time is some serious stoke, everyone remembers and can relate. I think I'm more stoked about that than the time I got virginia for the first time!!

You should have seen it yesterday
 03/15/2007 12:10 PM

Wet Dreams

Joined Forum: 12/12/2005

Haulover Pier 1985 NE wind chop and I was hooked!! I remember my first 20 face plants/nose dives like it was yestaurday
 03/17/2007 07:16 AM

Earlybird

Joined Forum: 01/30/2006

1974, My sunday school teacher took us surfing at picnic tables. I was hooked and mowed lawns to buy my first board. A Hobie 9'0 silver bullet longboard for $25.00 from a neighbor. His name was Brian Shore.

Luv this forum and sunrises.

Edited: 08/22/2007 at 09:15 AM by Earlybird
 03/22/2007 07:00 AM

Jimo

Joined Forum: 03/19/2007

I'm 12 yrs. old in 1963. Long Island, NY. Saw surfing on TV and had to do it. Never knew surfing even existed. Saved my money bought a Malibu popout from a marine supply store. First day Mom drops me off at the beach and says call me when you're done. Walked the 1 mile plus trek to West End II, Jones Beach State Park with my 35 lb. 9'6" log. Not another person in sight way down by the jetty. Spent half the summer wallowing in shore pound learning by doing. Dad heard about Gilgo Beach and took me. Paddled out to the sand bar and caught my first real wave. A right. I was hooked forever. 44 years later I'm back wallowing in the shore pound.
 03/22/2007 04:15 PM

SUZY2Q

Joined Forum: 03/24/2006

Well, I was 46 or 47, an old lady so to speak, Actually started when we were in Nosara, Costa Rica on playa Guonies- And many of you know this beach well, It was breaking on the outside about 13 feet- No one could make it out- People paddling in the white water on the inside- I with my yellow 7'2 heavy bomb of a board- actually stood up a few times but then when we came back to Melbourne Beach that summer, I got a 6'10" funshape and actually learned to really drop in- Now I can ride a 5'11" board and I can paddle out with no fear in Costa and on the 5-6 foot days here - I am gonna be 50 next month so anyone can do it! Moral of the story- Anyone can learn- just have plenty of patience and keep your arms in Shape!
 03/23/2007 07:57 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

GEEEZ. If I can remember that far back. After the days of belly riding the Hawaiin Punch
blue canvas (nipple, armpit rash) raft out by Desperados. I stepped it up in 82' I was 8yrs old.
The board was a used twin fin from Ron Rosenberry who used to have a rental shak out by the Pier. Anyone
remember him?? I remember taking many to the head while learning with my neighbors, and
ILL never forget the first time I actually went down the line. Its right up there with riding a two
wheeler for the first time!!!

Edited: 03/23/2007 at 09:20 AM by TATTOO74
 03/31/2007 05:42 PM

Poncho

Joined Forum: 07/29/2003

It was the summer of 1965. My older brother's friend let me borrow his ( I think it was a 10'0" , not sure ) Campbell. They were made here locally by the Campbell brothers over where the Melbourne Airport is now. Must have weighed 45 lbs. I had to drag it to the water because I was only about 110 lbs. I was at Conova Beach and have been stoked since.
 04/02/2007 04:44 PM

ChargeTheNines

Joined Forum: 03/11/2007

at second light on a head high day with a 4'9 spectrum cutoff almost drowned like 3 times but loved it
 04/03/2007 01:00 PM

Young Gun

Joined Forum: 07/29/2006

hurricane swell 04 i think 6-8 foot on my 6'8"quiet flight i bought from my friend with my dad on his 10o . we were coming in and he lost his board and i nearly lost an eye. two years later at shark pit he jumped off and nearly lost his eye. theres something about our right eyes they attract boards

20 $ and food and you've got me for the night

04/17/2007 05:23 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Grew up in South Patrick Shores. I had seen the "surfers" in Cocoa Beach. Easter Day 1964, Jack K-bomb says "do you want to go surfing with us (him and Hugh Smith)?" "Heck why not". Went to old North Officer's Club. Spent the day, off-and-on, paddling and sort of "riding" Hugh's 9'2" J & O. Immediately hooked. I was an "expert" swimmer at a young age and could paddle with the best of them and, as such, the "getting out" part did not deter me like it does a lot of beginners. Mowed lawns that summer and bought a Surfboards Atlantic from Stan The Man as soon as I could (for $97). Learned to surf at O'club and Sandpiper Towers and then moved on to Gulf Station and Lums. Got to be known and accepted by the Lums Bums and from there was able to surf 1st Peak in the middle of the "enforcers".

Dora Hates You
 04/18/2007 04:26 PM

TRENT

Joined Forum: 04/15/2007

I remember my mom renting a blue canvas raft growing up down in Hollywood! Talk about nipple rash! Lots of fun. First board a pink w/ blue pinstriped Sunshine from Little Hawaii Surf Shop on Hollywood Beach. I' guessin around around 1983, wow.

wish I was ocean size, no one moves you man, no one tries...

Janes Addiction
FORUMS : Surf History : Your first surfing experience...

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .